- By Valentine Obienyem
The United Kingdom Department for International Development, DFID has expanded its programmes in Anambra State. The Memorandum of Understanding for the implementation of the programmes was signed by the State Government and the Agency in the Exco Chambers of the Government House, Awka. The signing of the MoU
increased the programme of the DFID in the State to five, covering good governanc, service-delivery and malaria control, among others. Governor Peter Obi signed for the State Government, while the head DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Richard Montegomery signed for the Agency.
In his speech, Governor Obi said the partaking would assist in the State government 's efforts to uplift the quality of life and entrench principles of good governance.
He explained that his administration introduced public participatory and grassroogt-oriented governance, while poverty mapping and effective data-generation have enabled government to identify poorest communities and introduce multi-dimensional approach to fight poverty and eradicate hunger.
The Governor said that in addition to various economic empowerment programmes, the State government was equally supporting and promoting Agricultural programmes and attracting investors to generate employment opportunities.
The head of DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Montegomery said the Agency was impressed with Governor Obi’s efforts to tackle various developmental challenges and reposition the State for sustainable development. He explained that the partnership is geared towards the support of the State government to promote good governance and enhance service delivery.
Dr. Mentegomery noted that Governor Obi’s administration has continued to carry all stakeholders along in the implementation of its policies and programmes and applauded his efforts in attracting development parties and donor agencies.
He explained that bilateral relationship with Nigeria is yielding the desired goals as the Agency is supporting Socio-economic and political reforms in the country.
The DFID Regional co-ordinator , South-East, South-South, Mrs. Olachi Chuks Ronnie said some of the programmes were already on in the State while new ones had been introduced.
The Chief Authorizing Officer, EU programmes and Commissioner for Economic Planning and Budget, Professor Chinyere said Government commitment to reform and welfare of the grassroots, continued to uplift the lives of the people.
Professor Okunna noted that the partnership is a testimony that the State government is on course and assured that local and International best practices will continue to be adopted to ensure that the interventions are properly utilized to fill existing gaps.
She explained that prudent Management of available resources have enabled the State to make a difference inspite of low revenue profile.
Caption for the picture
Gov. Peter Obi (left); the Head of DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Richard Montegomery (right) ; and the Commissioner for Planning in Anambra State, Prof. Chinyere Okunna at the signing of the Memorandun of Understanding between Anambra State and DFID at the Government House yesterday.
- BREAKING NEWS: Fresh Bomb Blast Hits Kano Again!
- BREAKING NEWS: Bomb Hits Kaduna, 25 Dead
- Chibok: 11 parents of Nigeria's abducted girls die
- Nyako Was impeached because unable to pay Lawmakers N20 Billion - APC
- Where is the 200m released for Lead Poisoning Treatment in Zamfara
- Serial Killings of Muslims of Ngoshe, Chikide, Gavva, Agapalawa Villages in Borno State
- Boko Haram Takes Control of Damboa Town in Borno, Hoists Flag
- Ex Adamawa Governor, Nyako Flees Nigeria
- Security: tracking online activities for cyber terrorism, espionage, int'l crime
- Tobacco Smoking Bill: Memo Submitted by Environmental Groups
- BRICS establish $100bn bank and currency pool to cut out Western dominance
- What Happened To 5.1 Billion Naira Owerri North Council Funds?
- BREAKING NEWS: Governor Murtala Nyako Impeached!
- Impeachment: Panel indicts Nyako, absolves deputy
- Breaking News! Lawmakers Commence Impeachment against Nasarawa State Governor
- Peter Obi Refused to join PDP - Sources
- Germany Wins the World Cup, beat Argentina 1-0
- Nyesom Wike Finally Resigns As Education Minister (State)
- Oladejo Lamikanra SAN- the lawyer who lied his way to the top
- Anambra Governor Obiano Wastes Tax Payers Money on Foreign Jamboree
- Operation ‘Save Our Armed Forces’
- The Problem with Udom Emmanuel, Akpabio’s Puppet
- Imoke, Peter Obi: Exemplars of good governance
- Time for the Church to Embrace an Expanded and Harmonized Narrative
- Experiments in Food Economics
- Governor Amosun and Litany of Lies
- CDD Calls on FG to Maintain Peace and Security at Osun Guber
- Proposed $1 Billion Loan, Not in Nigeria’s Interest, Says TMG
- CSNAC Petitions ICPC over Allegation of Bribery of Adamawa HA Members
- PDP Waiver: Ardo Tells Marwa,"You Are Being Economical With Truth"
- Vintage Omisore Double-Speak On Late Bola Ige
- Meet Collins Archie-Pearce - Sierra Leonean Film Producer & Actor
- Osinulo’s Comprehensive Charity in Abia State
- APC Attacks on Ex- Governor Gbenga Daniel: Vengeful Antics
- Omisore, You Must Come Forward For This Debate
- As The World Watches…
- President Jonathan Calls for Stronger, Beneficial Partnerships between OPEC Nations
- CAN Condemns Kaduna Twin Explosions and Kano
- Time to Unite in Battle against Terrorism in Nigeria - Tukur
- Creating Traders’ Awareness of Benin and the Sub-Regional Ecobiz
- Golovkin: Knockout Champion Defends Title against Daniel Geale
- Embattled NFF President Aminu Maigari Sacked Over Financial Misappropriation
- French Star, Evra Completes Juve Move
- Chisora Opts out of Tyson Fury Saturday Bout
- I am still in the National Team – Enyeama
- Bolt, Farah, Wiggins and Fraser for Glasgow Commonwealth
- Nigeria striker rejected by keshi, signed for club record fee
- Manny Pacquiao Announces Fight with Algieri
- Louis van Gaal Starts Work at Manchester United
- Battle of Ogwumikes: Elder Nneka Prevails Over Chinyere in Historic Matchup
- Maradona, Blatter Disagree with Messi best-player award
- Scolari 'sacked' as Brazil manager after World Cup failure
- Germany Wins the World Cup!
- World Cup Finals Preview: Argentina vs. Germany
- Alvarez Survives Attrition War with Determined Lara
- Suarez Confirms Barcelona Move
- World Cup Third–place preview: Brazil vs Netherlands
- 200 Ghanaian Fans seek Religious Asylum in Brazil
- Rising Star Alvarez’s Risky Showdown Against Lara
- FIFA bans Nigeria from international football competitions
- Lagos massage parlours where sex is ‘after-service’ bonus - Punch
- Nigeria’s 419 Scammers Trade Up to Info-Stealing Trojan Attacks
- Nigeria Attractive to Investors Despite Challenges, Says Aganga
- Pro-Russian rebels plan to sabotage investigation into Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 crash
- Kim Kardashian sex tape star Ray J charged with 10 crimes
- Tulisa Drug Trial Collapse: 'Fake Sheikh' Suspended
- Facebook banned these Women's Rowing Team's Naked Calendar
- US Court awards $23 billion punitive damages against major cigarette company
- Bolt, Farah, Wiggins and Fraser for Glasgow Commonwealth
- Bizarre: Boy, 9, marries 62-year-old woman for second time
- Disgusting! Looters Stole Cash, Credit Cards, and Jewelry from Flight MH17 Crash Victims
- Appeal court overturns Berlusconi convictions in underage sex case
- Malaysian plane crashes in Ukraine: BBC updates
- Tulisa supplied cocaine after she was offered Hollywood film role
- Cheryl Cole secretly weds French boyfriend after just 3 months of dating