- Written by Valentine Obienyem
The United Kingdom Department for International Development, DFID has expanded its programmes in Anambra State. The Memorandum of Understanding for the implementation of the programmes was signed by the State Government and the Agency in the Exco Chambers of the Government House, Awka. The signing of the MoU
increased the programme of the DFID in the State to five, covering good governanc, service-delivery and malaria control, among others. Governor Peter Obi signed for the State Government, while the head DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Richard Montegomery signed for the Agency.
In his speech, Governor Obi said the partaking would assist in the State government 's efforts to uplift the quality of life and entrench principles of good governance.
He explained that his administration introduced public participatory and grassroogt-oriented governance, while poverty mapping and effective data-generation have enabled government to identify poorest communities and introduce multi-dimensional approach to fight poverty and eradicate hunger.
The Governor said that in addition to various economic empowerment programmes, the State government was equally supporting and promoting Agricultural programmes and attracting investors to generate employment opportunities.
The head of DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Montegomery said the Agency was impressed with Governor Obi’s efforts to tackle various developmental challenges and reposition the State for sustainable development. He explained that the partnership is geared towards the support of the State government to promote good governance and enhance service delivery.
Dr. Mentegomery noted that Governor Obi’s administration has continued to carry all stakeholders along in the implementation of its policies and programmes and applauded his efforts in attracting development parties and donor agencies.
He explained that bilateral relationship with Nigeria is yielding the desired goals as the Agency is supporting Socio-economic and political reforms in the country.
The DFID Regional co-ordinator , South-East, South-South, Mrs. Olachi Chuks Ronnie said some of the programmes were already on in the State while new ones had been introduced.
The Chief Authorizing Officer, EU programmes and Commissioner for Economic Planning and Budget, Professor Chinyere said Government commitment to reform and welfare of the grassroots, continued to uplift the lives of the people.
Professor Okunna noted that the partnership is a testimony that the State government is on course and assured that local and International best practices will continue to be adopted to ensure that the interventions are properly utilized to fill existing gaps.
She explained that prudent Management of available resources have enabled the State to make a difference inspite of low revenue profile.
Caption for the picture
Gov. Peter Obi (left); the Head of DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Richard Montegomery (right) ; and the Commissioner for Planning in Anambra State, Prof. Chinyere Okunna at the signing of the Memorandun of Understanding between Anambra State and DFID at the Government House yesterday.
- Probe Me, Jonathan Challenges Buhari
- DPR/Diezani Madueke: Deceiving Buhari On Renewed Modular Refineries’ Licensing
- US Govt -v- Buruji Kashamu: Full Transcript of UK Judgement
- Ifeanyi Ubah Forces Down Fuel Price, Crisis Averted
- BREAKING: Trouble Looms as Airline Operators Plan Protest, Strike over Fuel Scarcity
- How Buhari was disgraced at Downing Street
- UPDATE: NDLEA in Masks, Storm Kashamu’s Residence for Extradition
- How Obiano Bought PDP Candidates with N250m to Discontinue Court Cases against APGA
- Shame: Nigeria, Africa's largest oil producer crippled by fuel shortages
- Happening Now: Farewell Service for Chukwumerije at Abuja Airport [Photos]
- Tony Anenih Resigns as PDP BoT Chairman
- Breaking News! Muazu Resigns as PDP Chairman with immediate effect!
- [Correction] Unizik Vice Chancellor Suspends SUG President after he alleged corruption
- Jonathan incurs N5tn domestic debt in 5 years, Governors incurred $5.85b
- Boko Haram Militants Raped Hundreds of Female Captives in Nigeria
- How the Seventh National Assembly Failed Nigerians [Part 2]
- Out-going governors created the NGF crisis - Dickson
- Disastrous Performance of the 7th National Assembly of Nigeria- Part One
- Nigeria is too poor for our leaders to act like multi-billionaires
- Why the ongoing immigration recruitment must be cancelled, by Muhammadu Buhari
- Buruji Kashamu: A drug kingpin Is Going Down?
- State of the nation: A sad commentary on the last 16 years, by Jaye Gaskia
- Now that we have Buhari! By Abdulrazaq Magaji
- SOS to Gov Obiano on the banning of motorcycles, by Mazi Odera
- Kashamu Buruji: God and our politics on trial, by Immanuel Ugwu
- As President Jonathan returns to the highest order in Nigeria, by Benjamin Aduba
- Buhari at Loggerheads with APC Leaders, Governors
- The agenda of NLC for President Muhammadu Buhari - Wabba
- Setting agenda for Muhammadu Buhari, by Nura Alkali
- My fears for Femi Adeshina, by Olalekan Waheed Adigun
- Nigeria’s Debt: APC, PDP - Who Is Telling The Truth?
- 10 Interesting Facts about Dogs, by Akinluyi Jerry
- Buhari and his frequent disregard for protocol, by Simon Utsu
- Ode to Comrade (Senator) Uche Chukwumerije, by Nzuko-Igbo, USA
- With the Abia elections won and lost, will the media siege end? - Mike Nwachukwu
- 5 Impeachment Allegations Against Governor Chime of Enugu State
- Gowon: Ojukwu never imagined I would go to war - A Response
- I need pocket money to buy Cabin, sandals – Peter Obi
- Flamboyance In Governance, Time to Say No By Don Ubani
- APGA, a new Dawn! by Chinedu Nkwonta
- Photonews: Jonathan's valedictory session of the Executive Council
- 7 FIFA executives arrested over £65m bribe in award of Russia and Qatar World Cups
- NBA Eastern Conference Finals: Cavaliers Stun Hawks 97-89
- Photo: See where volunteers that trekked for GEJ slept in Bayelsa
- NBA Western Conference Finals Game One: Warriors 110,Rockets 106
- Oshiomhole’s new wife performs first role as First Lady
- Photonews: Buhari, Dignitaries present as Oshiomhole Wed his Heartthrob
- NBA Playoffs: Warriors, Hawks, Cavaliers Alive; Houston in Trouble
- Bayern Beats Barcelona 3-2
- Zik’s first son, Chukwuma Azikiwe dies at 75
- Alvarez Whacks Game James Kirkland in Round Three
- UK doctor from Nigeria and wife illegally enslaved man for 24 years
- Mayweather Frustrates Pacquiao in Victory Number 48
- Mayweather beats Pacquiao in the 'fight of the century'
- Rio Ferdinand’s wife, Rebecca dies of cancer
- Nollywood actor Peter Bunor dies
- Mayweather Vs Pacquiao: PacMan Not Underdog in Grudge Match
- Klitschko Defeats Bryant Jennings by Unanimous Decision
- Senegal Drops Nigeria from FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup ticket
- NBA playoffs Preview: Title up for Grabs
- Nigeria Celebrates ECOWAS at Forty
- Video Evidence Show Foreign Mercenaries among Boko Haram Fighters
- India heatwave kills 800, as capital's roads melt
- 4 great enemies Buhari must terminate after being sworn on May 29
- Burundi opposition figure Zedi Feruzi shot dead
- German woman Annegret Raunig gives birth to qaudruplets at age 65
- Buhari Meets UK Prime Minister at Downing Street
- Highlights of the 47th Ordinary Session of the Authority of ECOWAS Heads of State and Govt
- West African leaders shelve third-term ban proposal
- Obama Sends Kerry to lead US delegation at Buhari’s inauguration
- Nigeria 2015: Beyond the Ballot
- Man wrongly imprisoned for nearly 40 years sues detectives
- ECOWAS Accra Summit to Review Regional Political, Security Situation
- ECOWAS Council of Ministers Ends 74th Ordinary Session in Accra
- Chuka Umunna Withdraws from Labour Leadership Bid