- Written by Valentine Obienyem
The United Kingdom Department for International Development, DFID has expanded its programmes in Anambra State. The Memorandum of Understanding for the implementation of the programmes was signed by the State Government and the Agency in the Exco Chambers of the Government House, Awka. The signing of the MoU
increased the programme of the DFID in the State to five, covering good governanc, service-delivery and malaria control, among others. Governor Peter Obi signed for the State Government, while the head DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Richard Montegomery signed for the Agency.
In his speech, Governor Obi said the partaking would assist in the State government 's efforts to uplift the quality of life and entrench principles of good governance.
He explained that his administration introduced public participatory and grassroogt-oriented governance, while poverty mapping and effective data-generation have enabled government to identify poorest communities and introduce multi-dimensional approach to fight poverty and eradicate hunger.
The Governor said that in addition to various economic empowerment programmes, the State government was equally supporting and promoting Agricultural programmes and attracting investors to generate employment opportunities.
The head of DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Montegomery said the Agency was impressed with Governor Obi’s efforts to tackle various developmental challenges and reposition the State for sustainable development. He explained that the partnership is geared towards the support of the State government to promote good governance and enhance service delivery.
Dr. Mentegomery noted that Governor Obi’s administration has continued to carry all stakeholders along in the implementation of its policies and programmes and applauded his efforts in attracting development parties and donor agencies.
He explained that bilateral relationship with Nigeria is yielding the desired goals as the Agency is supporting Socio-economic and political reforms in the country.
The DFID Regional co-ordinator , South-East, South-South, Mrs. Olachi Chuks Ronnie said some of the programmes were already on in the State while new ones had been introduced.
The Chief Authorizing Officer, EU programmes and Commissioner for Economic Planning and Budget, Professor Chinyere said Government commitment to reform and welfare of the grassroots, continued to uplift the lives of the people.
Professor Okunna noted that the partnership is a testimony that the State government is on course and assured that local and International best practices will continue to be adopted to ensure that the interventions are properly utilized to fill existing gaps.
She explained that prudent Management of available resources have enabled the State to make a difference inspite of low revenue profile.
Caption for the picture
Gov. Peter Obi (left); the Head of DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Richard Montegomery (right) ; and the Commissioner for Planning in Anambra State, Prof. Chinyere Okunna at the signing of the Memorandun of Understanding between Anambra State and DFID at the Government House yesterday.
- Teenage girl accused of being suicide bomber brutally killed in Bauchi
- Breaking News! Jonathan challenges Buhari to a debate at Chatham House
- Boko Haram: The Plight of Internally Displaced Persons in Lagos
- Tinubu compelled Osinbajo to take oath of resignation after 6 months as VP -PDP
- Update: Ebonyi HA Serves Impeachment Notice to Gov Elechi
- Photonews: President Jonathan Tours Boko Haram Flashpoints in 3 States
- Jega to receive notice of terminal leave next week - APC
- Boko haram: Army chief says war is almost over
- President Jonathan defies critics ahead of Nigeria polls - Financial Times
- Deadly Explosion rips through Bus, kills 10 on outskirts of Potiskum
- Fleeing Boko Haram Calls For Ceasefire
- Bizarre! 7yrs Old Suicide Bomber Blows Self in Potiskum
- Inside Story Of Missing $20bn - NNPC
- Boko Haram Release 158 Abducted Women
- Boko Haram: Troops Retakes Dikwa and Gwoza Training Base
- African Forces aim to Wipe out Boko Haram Starting next month
- Gov Amosun Raises Alarm: 600,000 Strange PVCs in Ogun State!
- Nigerian Military kills over 300 Boko Haram Militants in Battle of Monguno
- Update: Rivers Multiple Explosion Kill Policeman, Disrupts Rivers APC Guber Rally
- Labour Party Chairman, Nwanyanwu Resigns
- Appreciating Your Heritage...
- Truly, APGA has no business at the National Assembly
- Nigeria: Looking Beyond Electoral promises (1)
- Nigeria: In a Quest for a True Father
- Ms. Okonjo-Iweala Did Not Betray Nigeria
- Umeh lied, yet to clear weighty allegations, unfit for Senate
- Mr Netanyahu Is the Greatest Threat to Israeli Security
- Shooting of Fatah activist could doom security cooperation
- Mrs. Aisha Buhari: The Mother Nigerians are Yearning For!
- Dealing with Food Aggression in Dogs
- Umeh lied on Odenigbo, yet to answer to allegations
- The Struggle for the Soul of Nigeria as Corruption fights back
- Buhari's Chatham house speech of contradictions
- Buhari is a better Christian than Jonathan
- N5bn Scam on Jonathan: Igbo Leaders Condemns Ohanaeze
- For God, For Country, For Glory!
- My Message to the Dogs & Baboons
- Imo widows place curses on Okorocha, Ndi Eze Imo, others
- Democratic Impunity!
- Photonews: Life returns to Mubi after troops recapture town from Boko Haram
- Arsenal chief wants to sack Arsene Wenger and hire Thierry Henry as manager
- Why Mario Balotelli MUST be in the Liverpool line-up against Manchester City this afternoon
- Keshi Says Nigeria Offered Him 'Slave contract'
- Mayweather Vs Pacquiao: The Fight of the Century
- Shocking Video: Racist Chelsea Fans Push Black Man Out of a Moving Train In Paris
- Kanu Nwankwo voted 13th greatest Arsenal player
- Cote D'ivorie Wins African Cup of Nations
- AFCON 2015 Final: Cote d’Ivoire vs Ghana
- AFCON 2015: Ouedraogo commends teams ECOWAS
- Chelsea draw Man City 1-1, remain five points clear
- Breaking News: Former Eagles goalkeeper Agbonivbare is dead
- Cristiano Ronaldo wins Ballon d’Or over Lionel Messi & Manuel Neuer
- Tennis champion Serena Williams says coffee helped her beat Pennetta
- Steven Ukoh to play for Nigeria, ditches Switzerland
- David Beckham Son Receives Special Protection During Arsenal Youth Matches
- Heat Spoil James Return, Beating Cavaliers 101-91
- Amir Khan Gives Alexander Boxing Lesson
- LeBron James’ Principled Stance against Injustice
- Fawole John Oyeyemi: Nigeria Modern Archetype Of Chess
- World Strongest Footballer Never Played for Nigeria
- Thousands Protest in Cameroon over Boko Haram, as Fighting Intensifies
- Picture of IS Axe Man 'Jihadi John' as Student Shown
- Russian opposition leader Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- Rwandan singer jailed for plot to kill president
- Foreign trader burned in S. Africa petrol bomb attack
- President Outtara Urges Joint Action against Statelessness in W Africa
- ECOWAS Moves to Make Its Volunteer Programme Sustainable
- US Auditor Commits Suicide after Declaring for Guber Race
- Iran Blows Up Mock US Aircraft Carrier in Latest Drills
- ECOWAS Members Adopt a Declaration on Eradication of Statelessness in W Africa
- 10 yr old Schoolgirl Esther Okade Enrols In University Maths Degree
- 90 Christians abducted by ISIL in Syria
- Abidjan to host 1st ministerial conference on statelessness in W Africa
- ECOWAS Expresses Solidarity with Nigeria, Urges Peaceful, Credible Elections
- Man beats wife on wedding night after failing to get her dress off