- Written by Valentine Obienyem
The United Kingdom Department for International Development, DFID has expanded its programmes in Anambra State. The Memorandum of Understanding for the implementation of the programmes was signed by the State Government and the Agency in the Exco Chambers of the Government House, Awka. The signing of the MoU
increased the programme of the DFID in the State to five, covering good governanc, service-delivery and malaria control, among others. Governor Peter Obi signed for the State Government, while the head DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Richard Montegomery signed for the Agency.
In his speech, Governor Obi said the partaking would assist in the State government 's efforts to uplift the quality of life and entrench principles of good governance.
He explained that his administration introduced public participatory and grassroogt-oriented governance, while poverty mapping and effective data-generation have enabled government to identify poorest communities and introduce multi-dimensional approach to fight poverty and eradicate hunger.
The Governor said that in addition to various economic empowerment programmes, the State government was equally supporting and promoting Agricultural programmes and attracting investors to generate employment opportunities.
The head of DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Montegomery said the Agency was impressed with Governor Obi’s efforts to tackle various developmental challenges and reposition the State for sustainable development. He explained that the partnership is geared towards the support of the State government to promote good governance and enhance service delivery.
Dr. Mentegomery noted that Governor Obi’s administration has continued to carry all stakeholders along in the implementation of its policies and programmes and applauded his efforts in attracting development parties and donor agencies.
He explained that bilateral relationship with Nigeria is yielding the desired goals as the Agency is supporting Socio-economic and political reforms in the country.
The DFID Regional co-ordinator , South-East, South-South, Mrs. Olachi Chuks Ronnie said some of the programmes were already on in the State while new ones had been introduced.
The Chief Authorizing Officer, EU programmes and Commissioner for Economic Planning and Budget, Professor Chinyere said Government commitment to reform and welfare of the grassroots, continued to uplift the lives of the people.
Professor Okunna noted that the partnership is a testimony that the State government is on course and assured that local and International best practices will continue to be adopted to ensure that the interventions are properly utilized to fill existing gaps.
She explained that prudent Management of available resources have enabled the State to make a difference inspite of low revenue profile.
Caption for the picture
Gov. Peter Obi (left); the Head of DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Richard Montegomery (right) ; and the Commissioner for Planning in Anambra State, Prof. Chinyere Okunna at the signing of the Memorandun of Understanding between Anambra State and DFID at the Government House yesterday.
- Asiwaju Bola Tinubu Has Ties to a Heroin Trafficking Ring - US Newspaper
- [UPDATE]: Ondo State Deputy Governor Impeached
- Memo to Buhari: Strategic Policy Instruments to Boost Research & Development In Nigeria, Improve National Innovation
- INEC Declares Ikpeazu, Okorocha Winners of Abia, Imo Guber Elections
- [UPDATED]: Texas-based Igbo killer doctor indicted by medical board, faces license revocation
- The Death Zone Called University Of Uyo Teaching Hospital
- Boko Haram Releases images as part of ISIS, as troops withdraw from Sambisa
- Why The Oil Cabals are after Me - Deziani Allison Madueke
- Breaking: Gunmen Kill El-Rufai's Campaign Coordinator
- President Jonathan Sacks Suleiman Abba, Appoints Arase As Acting Igp
- Peter Obi in South-Africa, Condemns Xenophobic Attacks
- Dr Angela Uwakwem, MD FMC Owerri, Looter and goddess of Corruption
- Happening Now: Group Shuts Down MTN in Benin over Xenophobic Attacks
- Tension in Unizik as Productivity Bonus Tears Staff Apart
- We will Punish PDP Looters and Acts of Lawlessness - Buhari
- Jonathan Blows hot, demands N2trn election funds refund
- APC Finally Unveils their Northern Agenda
- Obiano: The Face of Wickedness, by Joe Martins Uzodike
- Governor Okorocha and Islamization of Imo State... why Okorocha must go
- Buruji Kashamu Responds (Man indicted in US for drug deal elected Senator in Nigeria)
- Character Assassins On The Prowl: Who Is Afraid Of Bashir Gwandu?
- APC, INEC Robbed Me of Victory - Ihedioha
- Mr. Buhari must look for outsiders or else… by Prince Charles Dickson
- Response to Subomi Plumptre: Your church-shift and a slippery slope
- Rotimi Amaechi, Festus Odimegwu, Ogbonnaya Onu, make Buhari's Transition Committee
- PDP's Ishaku Declared Winner of Taraba Polls
- World Veterinary Day 2015: Celebrating Nobility, by Marzuq Ungogo
- Chukwumerije and death in the Age of Brevity, by Chuks Iloegbunam
- Situation Room Abia State Elections Rerun
- Xenophobia - South Africa, Tribalism - Nigeria: African Dilemma of Hate
- As we prepare for a rerun in Imo State! By Paul John
- Solomon Arase is Nigeria’s most qualified IGP, by Obiora Azikiwe
- Has Muslim Buhari accepted Christian IGP Arase? By Mohammed Sarki
- IGP MD Yusuf out, IGP Solomon Arase in, by Mohammed Sarki
- Jonathan, Buhari and May 28, by Olusegun Adeniyi
- Bola Tinubu is General Buhari’s James Ibori, By Kolawole Kayode
- Uche Chukwumerije (1939 to 2015), by Olusegun Adeniyi
- How callous can the Cross River House of Assembly be? By Okoi Obono-Obla
- Igbos: Sons of Eagle amidst xenophobia, by Bernard Ezenagu
- Xenophobia in its true perspective, by Don Ubani
- Klitschko Defeats Bryant Jennings by Unanimous Decision
- Meet the new Inspector General of Police, Solomon Arase
- Senegal Drops Nigeria from FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup ticket
- NBA playoffs Preview: Title up for Grabs
- Super Sand Eagles Thrash Egypt 4-1, Qualifies for Semi-final
- Seychelles 2015: Sand Eagles Hammer hosts 10-1
- Nollywood star, Desmond Elliot wins Lagos House Of Assembly Seat
- Harvest of goals as Super Falcons pound Mali 8-0
- Flying Eagles are African Champions
- Flying Eagles beat Ghana 2-0, qualifies for final
- Bolivia Pulls Out of Nigeria Friendly Match
- Flying Eagles Qualify For U-20 World Cup
- Nigeria to play South Africa in friendly on March 29
- Flying Eagles Jets Off to Senegal for AYC
- Arsenal chief wants to sack Arsene Wenger and hire Thierry Henry as manager
- Why Mario Balotelli MUST be in the Liverpool line-up against Manchester City this afternoon
- Keshi Says Nigeria Offered Him 'Slave contract'
- Mayweather Vs Pacquiao: The Fight of the Century
- Shocking Video: Racist Chelsea Fans Push Black Man Out of a Moving Train In Paris
- Kanu Nwankwo voted 13th greatest Arsenal player
- See the full Report of the Forensic Audit of NNPC Accounts here
- Gunmen open fire on buses carrying rap star Lil Wayne, crew
- Niger army fights Boko Haram for Lake Chad Island after attack
- Bombshell Interview: Obama’s Brother Says Barack Is ‘Cold and Ruthless…
- Buhari: I will probe NNPC missing $20 billion
- ECOWAS Launches Manual on Implementation of Regional Programmes
- ECOWAS Calls for Creativity, Innovation Driven Industrialization of W/Africa
- Nigerians say they lost 84m to South Africa Xenophobic Attack
- ECOWAS Seeks Policies For Sustainable Economic Development Of W/Africa
- Texas Based Doctor Calls for Igbo Massacre, Goes into Hiding
- ECOWAS Ministers moves to implement common industrial policy
- Boko Haram Cameroon attack toll rises to 19, 'many beheaded'
- Zimbabwean youths ordered to revenge xenophobia by attacking South Africans
- APC Used Police to Forment Electoral Violence in Akwa Ibom - Gov Akpabio
- ECOWAS Condemns Xenophobic Attacks in South Africa