- By Valentine Obienyem
The United Kingdom Department for International Development, DFID has expanded its programmes in Anambra State. The Memorandum of Understanding for the implementation of the programmes was signed by the State Government and the Agency in the Exco Chambers of the Government House, Awka. The signing of the MoU
increased the programme of the DFID in the State to five, covering good governanc, service-delivery and malaria control, among others. Governor Peter Obi signed for the State Government, while the head DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Richard Montegomery signed for the Agency.
In his speech, Governor Obi said the partaking would assist in the State government 's efforts to uplift the quality of life and entrench principles of good governance.
He explained that his administration introduced public participatory and grassroogt-oriented governance, while poverty mapping and effective data-generation have enabled government to identify poorest communities and introduce multi-dimensional approach to fight poverty and eradicate hunger.
The Governor said that in addition to various economic empowerment programmes, the State government was equally supporting and promoting Agricultural programmes and attracting investors to generate employment opportunities.
The head of DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Montegomery said the Agency was impressed with Governor Obi’s efforts to tackle various developmental challenges and reposition the State for sustainable development. He explained that the partnership is geared towards the support of the State government to promote good governance and enhance service delivery.
Dr. Mentegomery noted that Governor Obi’s administration has continued to carry all stakeholders along in the implementation of its policies and programmes and applauded his efforts in attracting development parties and donor agencies.
He explained that bilateral relationship with Nigeria is yielding the desired goals as the Agency is supporting Socio-economic and political reforms in the country.
The DFID Regional co-ordinator , South-East, South-South, Mrs. Olachi Chuks Ronnie said some of the programmes were already on in the State while new ones had been introduced.
The Chief Authorizing Officer, EU programmes and Commissioner for Economic Planning and Budget, Professor Chinyere said Government commitment to reform and welfare of the grassroots, continued to uplift the lives of the people.
Professor Okunna noted that the partnership is a testimony that the State government is on course and assured that local and International best practices will continue to be adopted to ensure that the interventions are properly utilized to fill existing gaps.
She explained that prudent Management of available resources have enabled the State to make a difference inspite of low revenue profile.
Caption for the picture
Gov. Peter Obi (left); the Head of DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Richard Montegomery (right) ; and the Commissioner for Planning in Anambra State, Prof. Chinyere Okunna at the signing of the Memorandun of Understanding between Anambra State and DFID at the Government House yesterday.
- The Jonathan Government Goes Rogue; As Oritsejafor Hide Behind one Finger
- Army fires GOC at the root of mutiny by convicted soldiers
- Obiano Starts 2018 governorship campaign with bags of rice
- Boko Haram Kidnaps 50 Women, Scores of Children
- #BringBackJonathan2015: The Wages Of Impunity, by Wole Soyinka
- Akwa Ibom Receives the Highest Allocation to States
- Elombah.com Issues a Disclaimer!
- Why And How INEC Is Creating New Polling Units - by Prof Jega
- What We saw In Akwa Ibom State- Part 2
- Obiano presents refurbished APC, Gives Cheque to Army, Appoints More Assistants
- Goodluck Jonathan's Hashtag: Most Inappropriate of the Year
- Appointment Of Chief Judge In Rivers State: Resolving The Crisis
- PHOTO: crowd at Reception for former governor of Akwa Ibom Victor Attah
- How Governor Willie Obiano Rules Anambra State
- Ibori Rejects Uduaghan’s Choice for Delta 2015
- 114 Reasons Why Rochas Okorocha Must Go In 2015
- Open Letter to Chief Orji Uzor Kalu (2)
- Ali Modu Sherrif Denies Sponsoring Boko Haram
- PDP Retorts Sharply to APC's Alledged Dance with Boko Baram
- 'Sponsors of Boko Haram are PDP and Presidency" - Oyegun
- Talk Is Cheap: On the Ohanaeze Betrayal, by Chief Chekwas Okorie
- Synagogue Church of All Nations: Death in the Synagogue
- If Scotland Goes, Expect Trouble
- ECOWAS and Its Partners to Undertake the Implementation Priorities of the Sub-Region
- EU Support Programme To Mop Up Small Arms In West Africa Launched
- Why Olejeme will be Delta State governor in 2015 - Uduaghan
- $9.3 Million Scandal: Why Lagosians Will Never Accept PDP
- Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor Disgraces CAN
- 9.3 Million Dollars Scandal: "This Too Shall pass"
- Okigwe zone: Agumba Assures On Effective Representation
- A Thought on a Forum of Decorum
- $9.3m scandal: 32 Ways to Explain #DollarCashGate
- Akwa Ibom 2015 Governorship Quest Tears Brothers Apart
- NANS Condemns FCE, Kano, Bomb Blast
- What Really Does Ahmadu Adamu Muazu Want? (Part Two)
- ECOWAS, USAID Strengthen Cooperation for Regional Development and Stability
- Nigerian LGBTS Awaits Abuja Judge’s Decision on Anti-Gay Law Repeal
- An Open Letter to Akwa Ibom State CP - Isaac Gabriel Achong
- Kogi APC Is Not In Crisis - Abubakar Audu
- Book Launch: “Moving Forward: A Biography of Goodluck Ebele Jonathan”
- Mayweather Defeats Maidana By Unanimous Decision Again
- Mayweather Must Counter Maidana’s Thuggery to Prevail
- Sexual harassment does not exist in Nollywood - Adokiye Kyrian
- Nigeria Super Eagles to Face South Africa in a Qualifier Crucial Game
- Keshi Bows to Pressure, Invites Uche for Bafana Bafana
- Anambra Sets Up Onyeanwuna Burial Committee
- Nigeria suffers 2-3 home defeat in Cup of Nations qualifier
- Money, Tradition, Legacy Fueling Mayweather-Pacquiao Mega-Fight?
- Anambra Plans State burial for Football Legend, Onyeanwuna
- NFF Elections: Battle for the Soul of the Nigerian Football Rages
- AFCON: Super Eagles Players Hit Camp for Congo, South Africa Matches
- Transfer Deadline: Done Deals for 2014\2015 Season
- Chinyere Ogwumike Joins Sister in Historic Rookie of Year Award
- Oluchi Orlandi Is Host of the First Edition of ‘Le Petite Marche Africa’
- Sanchez Scores as Arsenal Qualify for Champions League
- Christopher Giwa Emerges New President of Nigeria Football Federation
- AFCON 2017: Libya Relinquishes Hosting Rights
- Super Eagles Job: I Have Moved On – Stephen Keshi
- President Jonathan Hails Falconets’ Qualification for World Cup Finals
- Jonathan hails Falonet's Qualification for under-20 female world cup final
- EFCC Arrests Two Suspects for $7.9m Scam
- Bank IT worker declared wanted for $40m cyber-theft
- 67 S. Africans killed in Synagogue church collapse
- Nigerian caught in private jet smuggling $9.3m cash to SA
- Nigeria warplane used in fighting boko haram missing
- Oscar Pistorius found Guilty of Girlfriends' Manslaughter
- Oscar Pristorius found Negligent, but not Guilty of Murder
- BREAKING: Pistorius cleared of premeditated murder
- Nigeria says 'no evidence' US air marshal attacked in Lagos
- Sex Slaves: Like Boko haram, ISIS also kidnaps young girls
- Leaked Nude Photos of Celebrities Released Online
- Nigeria’s poverty level drops by 2.1%
- Former Governor Sylva’s Uncle Dies in Kidnappers’ Den after N5m ransom was paid
- Ebola: 4 Indian Doctors from Nigeria Quarantined
- Boko Haram clashes with Cameroon soldiers in cross-border attacks