- Written by Valentine Obienyem
The United Kingdom Department for International Development, DFID has expanded its programmes in Anambra State. The Memorandum of Understanding for the implementation of the programmes was signed by the State Government and the Agency in the Exco Chambers of the Government House, Awka. The signing of the MoU
increased the programme of the DFID in the State to five, covering good governanc, service-delivery and malaria control, among others. Governor Peter Obi signed for the State Government, while the head DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Richard Montegomery signed for the Agency.
In his speech, Governor Obi said the partaking would assist in the State government 's efforts to uplift the quality of life and entrench principles of good governance.
He explained that his administration introduced public participatory and grassroogt-oriented governance, while poverty mapping and effective data-generation have enabled government to identify poorest communities and introduce multi-dimensional approach to fight poverty and eradicate hunger.
The Governor said that in addition to various economic empowerment programmes, the State government was equally supporting and promoting Agricultural programmes and attracting investors to generate employment opportunities.
The head of DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Montegomery said the Agency was impressed with Governor Obi’s efforts to tackle various developmental challenges and reposition the State for sustainable development. He explained that the partnership is geared towards the support of the State government to promote good governance and enhance service delivery.
Dr. Mentegomery noted that Governor Obi’s administration has continued to carry all stakeholders along in the implementation of its policies and programmes and applauded his efforts in attracting development parties and donor agencies.
He explained that bilateral relationship with Nigeria is yielding the desired goals as the Agency is supporting Socio-economic and political reforms in the country.
The DFID Regional co-ordinator , South-East, South-South, Mrs. Olachi Chuks Ronnie said some of the programmes were already on in the State while new ones had been introduced.
The Chief Authorizing Officer, EU programmes and Commissioner for Economic Planning and Budget, Professor Chinyere said Government commitment to reform and welfare of the grassroots, continued to uplift the lives of the people.
Professor Okunna noted that the partnership is a testimony that the State government is on course and assured that local and International best practices will continue to be adopted to ensure that the interventions are properly utilized to fill existing gaps.
She explained that prudent Management of available resources have enabled the State to make a difference inspite of low revenue profile.
Caption for the picture
Gov. Peter Obi (left); the Head of DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Richard Montegomery (right) ; and the Commissioner for Planning in Anambra State, Prof. Chinyere Okunna at the signing of the Memorandun of Understanding between Anambra State and DFID at the Government House yesterday.
- Buhari Officially Declared Winner of Nigeria Presidential Election
- Goodluck Jonathan's Loss: Posterity will Judge the North
- Statement by President Jonathan after announcement of presidential election results
- Wild Jubilation in Northern Nigeria as Buhari Wins Election
- See Full Result: Buhari is President-Elect
- BREAKING: Niger Delta Godsday Orubebe Attacks Jega, Blocks Election Result
- Update: Buhari leads with 2 million votes in 19 States, FCT declared by INEC
- Official INEC Result: PDP Takes Early lead in 9 States
- Nigeria Decides 2015: Presidential Results
- Nigeria Decides 2015: Live Presidential Election Results Every Minute
- Nigeria Decides: 2015 Presidential Election Live Updates
- Jonathan and Buhari: Between progression and retrogression, by Mazi Ogbonna
- Chekwas Okorie Outperforms All At Nigeria's Presidential Debates
- Germanwings plane crashes in French Alps, no survivors
- Who killed four aides of Imo HA speaker? By Kenneth Uwadi
- NMA Lagos State Chapter Finally Commences Indefinite Strike
- Ndokwa Youths Block Expressway, Protest Injustice, Marginalisation
- [Update] Emir of Bukkuyum Was Kidnapped in the Mosque
- Revealed: General Buhari Was Arrested in the UK
- Breaking: War breaks out in Obiano's community between Aguleri and Anam
- Re-visiting Achebe’s ‘A man of the people’, by Martin-Hassan Eze
- Nigeria Decides: Omisore Congratulates General Muhammadu Buhari
- A call for national unity government in Nigeria, by Isimi Bunmi
- Buhari: Safeguarding the Igbo interest, by Onwuasoanya Jones
- The Die is Cast; Acceptance Speech by General Muhammadu Buhari
- Buhari receives Certificate of Return as President-elect
- Ndigbo are wise to align with South-South for Jonathan
- Inventing a scandal for Gov Obiano, by Ifeanyi Afuba
- Buhari: Nigerians voted their hopes, by Ugorji Ugorji
- PDP, Victim of Own Impunity, by Joe Onwukeme
- Abia Central: A clap for Gov T.A Orji, by Madubuko Hart
- I will not congratulate General Buhari
- Buhari: At the Appointed Time!
- Ifeanyi Ubah Introduces Guerilla Rigging in Anambra State
- I come to bury President Jonathan, by Omoni 'Toye Olusanmi
- The National Assembly Elections Results Do Not Reflect the Will of Ndi Anambra
- Nigerian Voters named Heroes of 2015 Polls - Former Nigerian Envoy
- APC declares victory in Nigeria election
- With 31 results declared, Buhari inching to victory
- Gov T.A. Orji and the ‘Afghanistanism’ of two analysts, by Madubuko Hart
- Flying Eagles are African Champions
- Flying Eagles beat Ghana 2-0, qualifies for final
- Bolivia Pulls Out of Nigeria Friendly Match
- Flying Eagles Qualify For U-20 World Cup
- Nigeria to play South Africa in friendly on March 29
- Flying Eagles Jets Off to Senegal for AYC
- Arsenal chief wants to sack Arsene Wenger and hire Thierry Henry as manager
- Why Mario Balotelli MUST be in the Liverpool line-up against Manchester City this afternoon
- Keshi Says Nigeria Offered Him 'Slave contract'
- Mayweather Vs Pacquiao: The Fight of the Century
- Shocking Video: Racist Chelsea Fans Push Black Man Out of a Moving Train In Paris
- Kanu Nwankwo voted 13th greatest Arsenal player
- Cote D'ivorie Wins African Cup of Nations
- AFCON 2015 Final: Cote d’Ivoire vs Ghana
- AFCON 2015: Ouedraogo commends teams ECOWAS
- Chelsea draw Man City 1-1, remain five points clear
- Breaking News: Former Eagles goalkeeper Agbonivbare is dead
- Cristiano Ronaldo wins Ballon d’Or over Lionel Messi & Manuel Neuer
- Tennis champion Serena Williams says coffee helped her beat Pennetta
- Steven Ukoh to play for Nigeria, ditches Switzerland
- Obama praises President Jonathan for conceding defeat
- ECOWAS, international observers commend Nigeria’s peace committee
- Photos from Protest in Akwa Ibom State
- US, UK Warns: Signs of Political Interference in Nigeria Election
- Islamic State group beheads 8 Shiites in Syria's Hama
- Detroit woman arrested after 2 kids found dead in freezer
- ECOWAS Chairman, Mahama Appeals for Peaceful Elections in Nigeria
- Mexican wrestler dies following match with ex-WWE superstar Rey Mysterio
- Experts Meet on Academic Mobility Programme in West Africa
- Suicide Bombers Blow Up Yemeni Mosques, Kill Scores, Wound Hundreds
- Forbes analysis: Nigeria could be heading for economic crisis?
- Sierra Leonean Vice President Sacked!
- Megachurch pastor seeks donations for pricey private jet
- Woman sets herself on fire, crashes car, jumps off bridge, yet lives
- Elderly Nun Raped in Indian Convent School