- Written by Valentine Obienyem
The United Kingdom Department for International Development, DFID has expanded its programmes in Anambra State. The Memorandum of Understanding for the implementation of the programmes was signed by the State Government and the Agency in the Exco Chambers of the Government House, Awka. The signing of the MoU
increased the programme of the DFID in the State to five, covering good governanc, service-delivery and malaria control, among others. Governor Peter Obi signed for the State Government, while the head DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Richard Montegomery signed for the Agency.
In his speech, Governor Obi said the partaking would assist in the State government 's efforts to uplift the quality of life and entrench principles of good governance.
He explained that his administration introduced public participatory and grassroogt-oriented governance, while poverty mapping and effective data-generation have enabled government to identify poorest communities and introduce multi-dimensional approach to fight poverty and eradicate hunger.
The Governor said that in addition to various economic empowerment programmes, the State government was equally supporting and promoting Agricultural programmes and attracting investors to generate employment opportunities.
The head of DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Montegomery said the Agency was impressed with Governor Obi’s efforts to tackle various developmental challenges and reposition the State for sustainable development. He explained that the partnership is geared towards the support of the State government to promote good governance and enhance service delivery.
Dr. Mentegomery noted that Governor Obi’s administration has continued to carry all stakeholders along in the implementation of its policies and programmes and applauded his efforts in attracting development parties and donor agencies.
He explained that bilateral relationship with Nigeria is yielding the desired goals as the Agency is supporting Socio-economic and political reforms in the country.
The DFID Regional co-ordinator , South-East, South-South, Mrs. Olachi Chuks Ronnie said some of the programmes were already on in the State while new ones had been introduced.
The Chief Authorizing Officer, EU programmes and Commissioner for Economic Planning and Budget, Professor Chinyere said Government commitment to reform and welfare of the grassroots, continued to uplift the lives of the people.
Professor Okunna noted that the partnership is a testimony that the State government is on course and assured that local and International best practices will continue to be adopted to ensure that the interventions are properly utilized to fill existing gaps.
She explained that prudent Management of available resources have enabled the State to make a difference inspite of low revenue profile.
Caption for the picture
Gov. Peter Obi (left); the Head of DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Richard Montegomery (right) ; and the Commissioner for Planning in Anambra State, Prof. Chinyere Okunna at the signing of the Memorandun of Understanding between Anambra State and DFID at the Government House yesterday.
- Exposed: How they looted Imo State Oil Producing Area development Commission
- Boko Haram Kills 33, Abducts 200 women and children in Borno
- Umeh, Obiano overrules Ojukwus' wife at APGA Convention
- Obiano Awards all Roads in His Hometown, Sacks Accountant General
- Buhari Announces Osibanjo as Running Mate
- The Rivers Amaechi Will not Show You! [In pictures]
- Time to feature more women in politics
- Why Uwajumogu and Okorocha are Still Keeping Activist Iwuoha in Jail
- Osibanjo Clinches Buhari's Running Mate
- 33 Reasons Why Southerners are Fools
- The Buhari PTF Days: The Untold Story
- Yakubu Gowon @ 80: Burden of Genocide
- 2015: Between Jonathan and Buhari -who is the lesser evil?
- Breaking News: Fresh Twin Explosions Rock Jos
- [Update] Buhari wins APC nomination for 2015 presidential election
- PDP Ratifies Jonathan as Candidate, Sambo as Vice-President
- Austerity: Obiano in N300M Burial Bazaar
- BREAKING NEWS: Bomb Blast Hits Kano Again
- Obasanjo in new book hammers Jonathan, Atiku, Yar'adua
- EXCLUSIVE: Eyewitness Account of Aftermath of Insurgency in Adamawa
- Jonathans' 2nd Niger Bridge, 419 on the Igbo Nation
- My Synagogue Story
- Oduduwaland: Neither Buhari nor Jonathan stand for our liberation
- The Gov Fashola -Chekwas Okorie Interface
- Muhammadu Buharis Last Card
- Worshipping The False Messiahs Of Nigeria
- This is General Muhammad Buhari (Rtd)
- Victor Umeh Plots for Third Term
- Ibadan People Do Not Serve the Same Leader Twice?
- Debunking the Born to Rule Myth
- Governor Okorochas' Chief of Staff is a common thief
- Give It to Tinubu; He Knows His Onions
- Saraki Congratulates Osibanjo; Commends Tinubu
- Why the Core North Will/Must Fail: Arewa 2015 Agenda
- Buhari, the Rotimi Amaechi Fiasco
- Obasanjo Must Leave Nigeria Alone
- Dr. Alex Otti - The Change Abia State Is Yearning For In 2015
- Caliphate Colonialism -The taproot of the trouble with Nigeria
- Season of letters: Governor Okorocha as a case study
- 2015: Sai Buhari!
- Amir Khan Gives Alexander Boxing Lesson
- LeBron James’ Principled Stance against Injustice
- Fawole John Oyeyemi: Nigeria Modern Archetype Of Chess
- World Strongest Footballer Never Played for Nigeria
- NFF Appeals Committee Nullifies Pinnick’s Election
- Boxing: Crawford Dominates Beltran
- Fury Stops Chisora in 10th Round
- Siasia’s Olympic team to face Gabon
- FA Cup Final: Gov Orji Congratulates Enyimba for Defeating Dolphins
- Boxing: Pacquaio faces Algieri
- Nigeria 2- 2 South Africa: Nigeria out of Nations Cup
- Klitschko KOs Pulev In Fifth Round
- President Jonathan applauds Super Eagles win over Congo
- Nigeria Wallops Congo 2-0 in AFCON Qualifier
- Bulgarian Pulev Hopes To End Klitschko’s Reign
- Equatorial Guinea to Host AFCON 2015
- Super Eagles Off to Congo for Do-or-Die Match
- Kovalev May Have Retired Hopkins With Resounding Victory
- Bernard Hopkins: Champ Testing Time Against Sergey Kovalev
- New York Knicks Spoil Lebron James’ Homecoming Party
- Boy cleared of murder 70 years after he was executed
- BOAD to provide loans involving XOF1,100b over five years
- AfrAsia Bank attracts significant shareholding from NBC
- Research reveals GCC trade with Africa on the rise
- How the US provides inspiration for terrorists groups like ISIS
- Orange and USAID join forces to boost mHealth innovations across Africa
- ECOWAS council session holds against the backdrop of progress
- $35m grant from King Abdallah fight Ebola in WA
- Powering Africa to advance Africa power industries
- AFRICA: Optimism and opportunity abounds
- Beckam and Son in Car Accident
- George Weah: The missing link in Liberian senate
- First Francophonie Economic Forum
- Tanzania refute claims to evict Maasai from Ngorongoro
- West Africa King of Impunity!