- Written by Valentine Obienyem
The United Kingdom Department for International Development, DFID has expanded its programmes in Anambra State. The Memorandum of Understanding for the implementation of the programmes was signed by the State Government and the Agency in the Exco Chambers of the Government House, Awka. The signing of the MoU
increased the programme of the DFID in the State to five, covering good governanc, service-delivery and malaria control, among others. Governor Peter Obi signed for the State Government, while the head DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Richard Montegomery signed for the Agency.
In his speech, Governor Obi said the partaking would assist in the State government 's efforts to uplift the quality of life and entrench principles of good governance.
He explained that his administration introduced public participatory and grassroogt-oriented governance, while poverty mapping and effective data-generation have enabled government to identify poorest communities and introduce multi-dimensional approach to fight poverty and eradicate hunger.
The Governor said that in addition to various economic empowerment programmes, the State government was equally supporting and promoting Agricultural programmes and attracting investors to generate employment opportunities.
The head of DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Montegomery said the Agency was impressed with Governor Obi’s efforts to tackle various developmental challenges and reposition the State for sustainable development. He explained that the partnership is geared towards the support of the State government to promote good governance and enhance service delivery.
Dr. Mentegomery noted that Governor Obi’s administration has continued to carry all stakeholders along in the implementation of its policies and programmes and applauded his efforts in attracting development parties and donor agencies.
He explained that bilateral relationship with Nigeria is yielding the desired goals as the Agency is supporting Socio-economic and political reforms in the country.
The DFID Regional co-ordinator , South-East, South-South, Mrs. Olachi Chuks Ronnie said some of the programmes were already on in the State while new ones had been introduced.
The Chief Authorizing Officer, EU programmes and Commissioner for Economic Planning and Budget, Professor Chinyere said Government commitment to reform and welfare of the grassroots, continued to uplift the lives of the people.
Professor Okunna noted that the partnership is a testimony that the State government is on course and assured that local and International best practices will continue to be adopted to ensure that the interventions are properly utilized to fill existing gaps.
She explained that prudent Management of available resources have enabled the State to make a difference inspite of low revenue profile.
Caption for the picture
Gov. Peter Obi (left); the Head of DFID in Nigeria, Dr. Richard Montegomery (right) ; and the Commissioner for Planning in Anambra State, Prof. Chinyere Okunna at the signing of the Memorandun of Understanding between Anambra State and DFID at the Government House yesterday.
- Okonjo-Iweala: Response to Soludo's 'Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond the Election'
- 2015 Elections & INEC Shoddy Preparations: Chaos, Anarchy & Bloodletting Looming (1)
- Army Bombards Boko Haram to Retake Strategic Barracks
- Exposed: How Obama blocked Israeli sale of attack helicopters to Nigeria
- 2015: INEC has already rigged presidential poll for the North
- Obiano Is Enchanting Road of Infamy -Anambra Group
- Attacks on Jonathan: This Nonsense Must Stop - Warns the presidency
- Attention Pius Anyim: Before INEC Sets Nigeria on Fire
- Exclusive: How Aso Rock official swindled Chinese firm in a multi-billion naira fraud
- Breaking News! Nigeria national security adviser urges INEC to postpone elections
- Chibok Girls Kidnap: The Untold Story
- Photos: fleeing Boko Haram's war on Nigeria
- Exclusive: See Buhari's Academic Records
- APC Rejects PDP Denial of Fayose Advert
- Army disowns Buhari...Says we don't have any WASC certificate
- Questions That Must Be Answered By Owelle Rochas Okorocha
- General Buhari will soon make his school certificate public - Aide
- Breaking: Niger Deputy Governor, 200 Others Dump PDP for APC
- Breaking News! Federal Government Reduces Pump Price of Petrol
- President Jonathan, Cronies Steal 400,000 Barrels of Oil Daily - Tinubu
- The resolution of Nigerians to vote Buhari
- X-Raying Nigeria’s Greatest Democratic Achievement
- Kerry meeting with Buhari is Destructive Diplomatic meddling
- 2015: Choices That Will Make or Mar Nigeria
- Soludo: A Pseudo-Intellectual for Hire
- So Is Buhari indeed a religious fanatic?
- Abia: Iheanacho Obioma haunted by many forces
- What I told Jonathan and Buhari about themselves
- Attention Amb Ogwu: Demand for Arrest and Trial of Alhaji Olarenwaju Iliasu
- PDP Vs APC: Between Two Flags
- #CERTIFIGATE: The Demystification of St. Muhammadu Buhari
- Burial of Biafran war victims has united Ndigbo
- Achieving the African Reawakening
- NCP candidate, Onovo: I am the most prepared presidential candidate
- Governor Yero and El-Rufai of Kaduna State: A Conversation
- #Buhari Get Your Certificate Direct From Cambridge Abeg!
- Politics According to the Progressives
- Certificates in Politics: open invitation to laws of libel, sedition
- Nigerians and their anti-corruption charade
- Buhari vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election -by Prof Soludo
- Breaking News: Former Eagles goalkeeper Agbonivbare is dead
- Cristiano Ronaldo wins Ballon d’Or over Lionel Messi & Manuel Neuer
- Tennis champion Serena Williams says coffee helped her beat Pennetta
- Steven Ukoh to play for Nigeria, ditches Switzerland
- David Beckham Son Receives Special Protection During Arsenal Youth Matches
- Heat Spoil James Return, Beating Cavaliers 101-91
- Amir Khan Gives Alexander Boxing Lesson
- LeBron James’ Principled Stance against Injustice
- Fawole John Oyeyemi: Nigeria Modern Archetype Of Chess
- World Strongest Footballer Never Played for Nigeria
- NFF Appeals Committee Nullifies Pinnick’s Election
- Boxing: Crawford Dominates Beltran
- Fury Stops Chisora in 10th Round
- Siasia’s Olympic team to face Gabon
- FA Cup Final: Gov Orji Congratulates Enyimba for Defeating Dolphins
- Boxing: Pacquaio faces Algieri
- Nigeria 2- 2 South Africa: Nigeria out of Nations Cup
- Klitschko KOs Pulev In Fifth Round
- President Jonathan applauds Super Eagles win over Congo
- Nigeria Wallops Congo 2-0 in AFCON Qualifier
- Sharia police arrest 12 gays planning to wed in Kano
- Boko Haram rampage propelling Buhari campaign -NY Times
- 2015: Supporters of violence will be denied US visas -Kerry
- US Kerry arrives Nigeria amid tensions over polls, Boko Haram
- ECOWAS hands over military assets to Guinea Bissau govt
- Cameroon raid frees German hostage held by Boko Haram
- 2015 Predictions: Doomsday Clock Tick to World War 3?
- Nigerias' fight against Boko Haram hampered by 'cowards' -Dasuki
- Nigeria election tensions raise specter of break-up
- Buhari Secretly Executed 40 Coup Plotters in 1984 - New York Times
- Jonathan Favored To Win February Polls -Brookings Institute
- Doctor fatally shot inside hospital; gunman kills himself
- IS executing 'educated women' in new wave of horror -UN
- Boko haram kidnaps 80 girls in Cameroon
- Cameroonians Throw Pastor, 9 Other Nigerians Overboard Boat