- Written by Elombah.com
Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney says he may be defeated by President Barack Obama in Tuesday's presidential contest, but it's doubtful. He made the statement as new polls show President Obama Leads US presidential race. The incumbent is edging the closely-fought US election campaign, during which more than $1bn
has been spent trying to woo voters.
Speaking at an Ohio rally Sunday afternoon, Romney said that it's possible, but not likely that Obama will win. He was responding to supporters who booed when he speculated on the consequences of an Obama second term.
Polls suggest the race is very close. Both campaigns predict wins.
Romney is campaigning in four battleground states on Sunday, including Pennsylvania. Romney's visit follows the decision by his campaign and its Republican allies to put millions of dollars in television advertising in Pennsylvania during the race's final weeks to try to make it competitive.
No Republican presidential candidate has carried the state since 1988.
Meanwhile The US presidential campaigns of Barack Obama and Mitt Romney have entered the last two days before voting, with polls indicating the incumbent is in the lead.
According to latest polls, Mr Obama appears to be ahead in enough swing states to secure the presidency for a second term.
After an intensive Saturday criss-crossing key battleground states, the American president is targeting Democrats in Colorado, Florida, Ohio and New Hampshire on Sunday, urging them to vote.
Meanwhile, Republican candidate Mitt Romney has decided to intensify efforts in Iowa, Ohio and then in Democrat-leaning Pennsylvania.
Mr Obama has an apparent edge in some key battleground states, including Ohio, while Mr Romney's campaign is projecting momentum, and banking on late-breaking voters to propel him to victory in the close race.
The Republican hopeful plans to cut away briefly from the nine key battleground states that have dominated the candidates' travel itineraries.
Mr Romney, along with running mate Paul Ryan, plan an early evening rally in Morrisville, Pennsylvania in an attempt to woo disillusioned Democrats.
The key battlegrounds states in the election have been Ohio, Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Nevada, Wisconsin, Iowa and New Hampshire.
After rules regulating campaign funding were eased for this election, the two political parties ploughed huge amounts into primarily negative advertising against the opposition.
Americans in the key states have been hit by a blizzard of campaign ads.
The two political parties and their allied independent groups aired more than a million ads between June and the end of October, according to the Wesleyan University Media Project.
Mr Romney has continued to campaign in key areas
The advertising in 10 strategic states has cost more than $1bn (£620m).
Would-be voters have been bombarded with some 40% more television advertising than the number that ran in the same period in 2008 when Mr Obama defeated Republican John McCain.
But both candidates have appeared to become more fatigued in the frenzied final weekend of campaigning.
Mr Obama apologised to supporters for a hoarse voice at one speech on Saturday.
His apology came as former Democrat president Bill Clinton suffered from a similar problem and told supporters in Virginia he had "given my voice in the service of my president".
Mr Obama's strategy has included appeals to the industrial Midwest, where jobs have been saved after the federal government invested large amounts in the wake of the financial meltdown.
His Republican challenger trails the president in some polls in battleground states but retains a narrow and plausible path to the 270 electoral votes needed to win the presidency
Mr Romney's camp also argues that the Republican may not even be behind the incumbent.
They argue state polls are based on unrealistic assumptions of the size of the Democratic slice of the electorate and underplay Republican enthusiasm.
Mr Romney told crowds in Colorado Springs that the vote is "a moment to look into the future, and imagine what we can do to put the past four years behind us".
"The door to a brighter future is there."
But both sides realise with just two days to go the result may now be beyond their control.
"The power is not with us anymore, the planning, everything we do, it doesn't matter," Mr Obama told supporters in Virginia.
"It's all up to you, it's up to the volunteers - that's how democracy is supposed to be."
- 2015 Elections & INEC Shoddy Preparations: Chaos, Anarchy & Bloodletting Looming (1)
- Army Bombards Boko Haram to Retake Strategic Barracks
- Exposed: How Obama blocked Israeli sale of attack helicopters to Nigeria
- 2015: INEC has already rigged presidential poll for the North
- Obiano Is Enchanting Road of Infamy -Anambra Group
- Attacks on Jonathan: This Nonsense Must Stop - Warns the presidency
- Attention Pius Anyim: Before INEC Sets Nigeria on Fire
- Exclusive: How Aso Rock official swindled Chinese firm in a multi-billion naira fraud
- Breaking News! Nigeria national security adviser urges INEC to postpone elections
- Chibok Girls Kidnap: The Untold Story
- Photos: fleeing Boko Haram's war on Nigeria
- Exclusive: See Buhari's Academic Records
- APC Rejects PDP Denial of Fayose Advert
- Army disowns Buhari...Says we don't have any WASC certificate
- Questions That Must Be Answered By Owelle Rochas Okorocha
- General Buhari will soon make his school certificate public - Aide
- Breaking: Niger Deputy Governor, 200 Others Dump PDP for APC
- Breaking News! Federal Government Reduces Pump Price of Petrol
- President Jonathan, Cronies Steal 400,000 Barrels of Oil Daily - Tinubu
- Gov. Yero Caught On Tape Threatening Attack on El-Rufai, Supporters
- What I told Jonathan and Buhari about themselves
- Attention Amb Ogwu: Demand for Arrest and Trial of Alhaji Olarenwaju Iliasu
- PDP Vs APC: Between Two Flags
- #CERTIFIGATE: The Demystification of St. Muhammadu Buhari
- Burial of Biafran war victims has united Ndigbo
- Achieving the African Reawakening
- NCP candidate, Onovo: I am the most prepared presidential candidate
- Governor Yero and El-Rufai of Kaduna State: A Conversation
- #Buhari Get Your Certificate Direct From Cambridge Abeg!
- Politics According to the Progressives
- Certificates in Politics: open invitation to laws of libel, sedition
- Nigerians and their anti-corruption charade
- Buhari vs Jonathan: Beyond The Election -by Prof Soludo
- The Many Sins Of President Jonathan
- Bayelsa investment Strategy and Governor Dickson
- Questions for President Jonathan as he visits Cross River
- Femi Davies and his Junk journalism; a grave concern
- The illusion of private prosperity and greatness
- The Leader Nigeria Needs
- Education and National Development: The Jonathan Example
- Breaking News: Former Eagles goalkeeper Agbonivbare is dead
- Cristiano Ronaldo wins Ballon d’Or over Lionel Messi & Manuel Neuer
- Tennis champion Serena Williams says coffee helped her beat Pennetta
- Steven Ukoh to play for Nigeria, ditches Switzerland
- David Beckham Son Receives Special Protection During Arsenal Youth Matches
- Heat Spoil James Return, Beating Cavaliers 101-91
- Amir Khan Gives Alexander Boxing Lesson
- LeBron James’ Principled Stance against Injustice
- Fawole John Oyeyemi: Nigeria Modern Archetype Of Chess
- World Strongest Footballer Never Played for Nigeria
- NFF Appeals Committee Nullifies Pinnick’s Election
- Boxing: Crawford Dominates Beltran
- Fury Stops Chisora in 10th Round
- Siasia’s Olympic team to face Gabon
- FA Cup Final: Gov Orji Congratulates Enyimba for Defeating Dolphins
- Boxing: Pacquaio faces Algieri
- Nigeria 2- 2 South Africa: Nigeria out of Nations Cup
- Klitschko KOs Pulev In Fifth Round
- President Jonathan applauds Super Eagles win over Congo
- Nigeria Wallops Congo 2-0 in AFCON Qualifier
- Boko Haram rampage propelling Buhari campaign -NY Times
- 2015: Supporters of violence will be denied US visas -Kerry
- US Kerry arrives Nigeria amid tensions over polls, Boko Haram
- ECOWAS hands over military assets to Guinea Bissau govt
- Cameroon raid frees German hostage held by Boko Haram
- 2015 Predictions: Doomsday Clock Tick to World War 3?
- Nigerias' fight against Boko Haram hampered by 'cowards' -Dasuki
- Nigeria election tensions raise specter of break-up
- Buhari Secretly Executed 40 Coup Plotters in 1984 - New York Times
- Jonathan Favored To Win February Polls -Brookings Institute
- Doctor fatally shot inside hospital; gunman kills himself
- IS executing 'educated women' in new wave of horror -UN
- Boko haram kidnaps 80 girls in Cameroon
- Cameroonians Throw Pastor, 9 Other Nigerians Overboard Boat
- France Sends Aircraft Carrier to Chase Down ISIS in Iraq