- By Elombah.com
Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney says he may be defeated by President Barack Obama in Tuesday's presidential contest, but it's doubtful. He made the statement as new polls show President Obama Leads US presidential race. The incumbent is edging the closely-fought US election campaign, during which more than $1bn
has been spent trying to woo voters.
Speaking at an Ohio rally Sunday afternoon, Romney said that it's possible, but not likely that Obama will win. He was responding to supporters who booed when he speculated on the consequences of an Obama second term.
Polls suggest the race is very close. Both campaigns predict wins.
Romney is campaigning in four battleground states on Sunday, including Pennsylvania. Romney's visit follows the decision by his campaign and its Republican allies to put millions of dollars in television advertising in Pennsylvania during the race's final weeks to try to make it competitive.
No Republican presidential candidate has carried the state since 1988.
Meanwhile The US presidential campaigns of Barack Obama and Mitt Romney have entered the last two days before voting, with polls indicating the incumbent is in the lead.
According to latest polls, Mr Obama appears to be ahead in enough swing states to secure the presidency for a second term.
After an intensive Saturday criss-crossing key battleground states, the American president is targeting Democrats in Colorado, Florida, Ohio and New Hampshire on Sunday, urging them to vote.
Meanwhile, Republican candidate Mitt Romney has decided to intensify efforts in Iowa, Ohio and then in Democrat-leaning Pennsylvania.
Mr Obama has an apparent edge in some key battleground states, including Ohio, while Mr Romney's campaign is projecting momentum, and banking on late-breaking voters to propel him to victory in the close race.
The Republican hopeful plans to cut away briefly from the nine key battleground states that have dominated the candidates' travel itineraries.
Mr Romney, along with running mate Paul Ryan, plan an early evening rally in Morrisville, Pennsylvania in an attempt to woo disillusioned Democrats.
The key battlegrounds states in the election have been Ohio, Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Nevada, Wisconsin, Iowa and New Hampshire.
After rules regulating campaign funding were eased for this election, the two political parties ploughed huge amounts into primarily negative advertising against the opposition.
Americans in the key states have been hit by a blizzard of campaign ads.
The two political parties and their allied independent groups aired more than a million ads between June and the end of October, according to the Wesleyan University Media Project.
Mr Romney has continued to campaign in key areas
The advertising in 10 strategic states has cost more than $1bn (£620m).
Would-be voters have been bombarded with some 40% more television advertising than the number that ran in the same period in 2008 when Mr Obama defeated Republican John McCain.
But both candidates have appeared to become more fatigued in the frenzied final weekend of campaigning.
Mr Obama apologised to supporters for a hoarse voice at one speech on Saturday.
His apology came as former Democrat president Bill Clinton suffered from a similar problem and told supporters in Virginia he had "given my voice in the service of my president".
Mr Obama's strategy has included appeals to the industrial Midwest, where jobs have been saved after the federal government invested large amounts in the wake of the financial meltdown.
His Republican challenger trails the president in some polls in battleground states but retains a narrow and plausible path to the 270 electoral votes needed to win the presidency
Mr Romney's camp also argues that the Republican may not even be behind the incumbent.
They argue state polls are based on unrealistic assumptions of the size of the Democratic slice of the electorate and underplay Republican enthusiasm.
Mr Romney told crowds in Colorado Springs that the vote is "a moment to look into the future, and imagine what we can do to put the past four years behind us".
"The door to a brighter future is there."
But both sides realise with just two days to go the result may now be beyond their control.
"The power is not with us anymore, the planning, everything we do, it doesn't matter," Mr Obama told supporters in Virginia.
"It's all up to you, it's up to the volunteers - that's how democracy is supposed to be."
- BREAKING NEWS: Fresh Bomb Blast Hits Kano Again!
- BREAKING NEWS: Bomb Hits Kaduna, 25 Dead
- Chibok: 11 parents of Nigeria's abducted girls die
- Nyako Was impeached because unable to pay Lawmakers N20 Billion - APC
- Where is the 200m released for Lead Poisoning Treatment in Zamfara
- Serial Killings of Muslims of Ngoshe, Chikide, Gavva, Agapalawa Villages in Borno State
- Boko Haram Takes Control of Damboa Town in Borno, Hoists Flag
- Ex Adamawa Governor, Nyako Flees Nigeria
- Security: tracking online activities for cyber terrorism, espionage, int'l crime
- Tobacco Smoking Bill: Memo Submitted by Environmental Groups
- BRICS establish $100bn bank and currency pool to cut out Western dominance
- What Happened To 5.1 Billion Naira Owerri North Council Funds?
- BREAKING NEWS: Governor Murtala Nyako Impeached!
- Impeachment: Panel indicts Nyako, absolves deputy
- Breaking News! Lawmakers Commence Impeachment against Nasarawa State Governor
- Peter Obi Refused to join PDP - Sources
- Germany Wins the World Cup, beat Argentina 1-0
- Nyesom Wike Finally Resigns As Education Minister (State)
- Oladejo Lamikanra SAN- the lawyer who lied his way to the top
- Anambra Governor Obiano Wastes Tax Payers Money on Foreign Jamboree
- Meet Collins Archie-Pearce - Sierra Leonean Film Producer & Actor
- Osinulo’s Comprehensive Charity in Abia State
- APC Attacks on Ex- Governor Gbenga Daniel: Vengeful Antics
- Omisore, You Must Come Forward For This Debate
- As The World Watches…
- President Jonathan Calls for Stronger, Beneficial Partnerships between OPEC Nations
- CAN Condemns Kaduna Twin Explosions and Kano
- Time to Unite in Battle against Terrorism in Nigeria - Tukur
- Creating Traders’ Awareness of Benin and the Sub-Regional Ecobiz
- Investigate Attempt on Buhari's Life
- Amaechi’s LG Tour a Political Masterstroke —APC
- Prosperity Gospel and Africa vs Innovation and Hi-Tech Revolution
- The Inanity of “No Vacancy” of Political Positions
- When the Truth Does Not Save but Destroys; Amaechi's Burden of Truth
- Emmanuel Enoidem: Celebrating a Colossus At 50
- The Afuze Confab of Witches and Wizards: A Welcomed Development
- Nigeria Heading Towards Dictatorship
- The attack on General Buhari is ominous
- Amosunomics: Looking Beyond Roads and Flyovers
- Uwajumogu, Okorocha and Ihitte Uboma Council Funds
- Embattled NFF President Aminu Maigari Sacked Over Financial Misappropriation
- French Star, Evra Completes Juve Move
- Chisora Opts out of Tyson Fury Saturday Bout
- I am still in the National Team – Enyeama
- Bolt, Farah, Wiggins and Fraser for Glasgow Commonwealth
- Nigeria striker rejected by keshi, signed for club record fee
- Manny Pacquiao Announces Fight with Algieri
- Louis van Gaal Starts Work at Manchester United
- Battle of Ogwumikes: Elder Nneka Prevails Over Chinyere in Historic Matchup
- Maradona, Blatter Disagree with Messi best-player award
- Scolari 'sacked' as Brazil manager after World Cup failure
- Germany Wins the World Cup!
- World Cup Finals Preview: Argentina vs. Germany
- Alvarez Survives Attrition War with Determined Lara
- Suarez Confirms Barcelona Move
- World Cup Third–place preview: Brazil vs Netherlands
- 200 Ghanaian Fans seek Religious Asylum in Brazil
- Rising Star Alvarez’s Risky Showdown Against Lara
- FIFA bans Nigeria from international football competitions
- Keshi Demands a N10m-month Contract
- Nigeria’s 419 Scammers Trade Up to Info-Stealing Trojan Attacks
- Nigeria Attractive to Investors Despite Challenges, Says Aganga
- Pro-Russian rebels plan to sabotage investigation into Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 crash
- Kim Kardashian sex tape star Ray J charged with 10 crimes
- Tulisa Drug Trial Collapse: 'Fake Sheikh' Suspended
- Facebook banned these Women's Rowing Team's Naked Calendar
- US Court awards $23 billion punitive damages against major cigarette company
- Bolt, Farah, Wiggins and Fraser for Glasgow Commonwealth
- Bizarre: Boy, 9, marries 62-year-old woman for second time
- Disgusting! Looters Stole Cash, Credit Cards, and Jewelry from Flight MH17 Crash Victims
- Appeal court overturns Berlusconi convictions in underage sex case
- Malaysian plane crashes in Ukraine: BBC updates
- Tulisa supplied cocaine after she was offered Hollywood film role
- Cheryl Cole secretly weds French boyfriend after just 3 months of dating
- Pope Francis says 1 out of 50 Catholic clergy paedophiles