- Written by Elombah.com
Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney says he may be defeated by President Barack Obama in Tuesday's presidential contest, but it's doubtful. He made the statement as new polls show President Obama Leads US presidential race. The incumbent is edging the closely-fought US election campaign, during which more than $1bn
has been spent trying to woo voters.
Speaking at an Ohio rally Sunday afternoon, Romney said that it's possible, but not likely that Obama will win. He was responding to supporters who booed when he speculated on the consequences of an Obama second term.
Polls suggest the race is very close. Both campaigns predict wins.
Romney is campaigning in four battleground states on Sunday, including Pennsylvania. Romney's visit follows the decision by his campaign and its Republican allies to put millions of dollars in television advertising in Pennsylvania during the race's final weeks to try to make it competitive.
No Republican presidential candidate has carried the state since 1988.
Meanwhile The US presidential campaigns of Barack Obama and Mitt Romney have entered the last two days before voting, with polls indicating the incumbent is in the lead.
According to latest polls, Mr Obama appears to be ahead in enough swing states to secure the presidency for a second term.
After an intensive Saturday criss-crossing key battleground states, the American president is targeting Democrats in Colorado, Florida, Ohio and New Hampshire on Sunday, urging them to vote.
Meanwhile, Republican candidate Mitt Romney has decided to intensify efforts in Iowa, Ohio and then in Democrat-leaning Pennsylvania.
Mr Obama has an apparent edge in some key battleground states, including Ohio, while Mr Romney's campaign is projecting momentum, and banking on late-breaking voters to propel him to victory in the close race.
The Republican hopeful plans to cut away briefly from the nine key battleground states that have dominated the candidates' travel itineraries.
Mr Romney, along with running mate Paul Ryan, plan an early evening rally in Morrisville, Pennsylvania in an attempt to woo disillusioned Democrats.
The key battlegrounds states in the election have been Ohio, Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Nevada, Wisconsin, Iowa and New Hampshire.
After rules regulating campaign funding were eased for this election, the two political parties ploughed huge amounts into primarily negative advertising against the opposition.
Americans in the key states have been hit by a blizzard of campaign ads.
The two political parties and their allied independent groups aired more than a million ads between June and the end of October, according to the Wesleyan University Media Project.
Mr Romney has continued to campaign in key areas
The advertising in 10 strategic states has cost more than $1bn (£620m).
Would-be voters have been bombarded with some 40% more television advertising than the number that ran in the same period in 2008 when Mr Obama defeated Republican John McCain.
But both candidates have appeared to become more fatigued in the frenzied final weekend of campaigning.
Mr Obama apologised to supporters for a hoarse voice at one speech on Saturday.
His apology came as former Democrat president Bill Clinton suffered from a similar problem and told supporters in Virginia he had "given my voice in the service of my president".
Mr Obama's strategy has included appeals to the industrial Midwest, where jobs have been saved after the federal government invested large amounts in the wake of the financial meltdown.
His Republican challenger trails the president in some polls in battleground states but retains a narrow and plausible path to the 270 electoral votes needed to win the presidency
Mr Romney's camp also argues that the Republican may not even be behind the incumbent.
They argue state polls are based on unrealistic assumptions of the size of the Democratic slice of the electorate and underplay Republican enthusiasm.
Mr Romney told crowds in Colorado Springs that the vote is "a moment to look into the future, and imagine what we can do to put the past four years behind us".
"The door to a brighter future is there."
But both sides realise with just two days to go the result may now be beyond their control.
"The power is not with us anymore, the planning, everything we do, it doesn't matter," Mr Obama told supporters in Virginia.
"It's all up to you, it's up to the volunteers - that's how democracy is supposed to be."
- Revealed: How Uduaghan and Pinnick Wasted Millions to Host NFF
- Two Suicide Bomb Blast Rocks Maiduguri
- Obiano bogus 2015 budget; bribes Lawmakers with N330m
- Nyanya Bombing: Court strikes out suit against Ogwuche
- Explosion Hits PDP secretariat in Calabar
- Of Nigeria and Mathematics: Salary of Nigerian Senators
- Boko Haram slaughters 48 fish vendors in northeast Nigeria
- Chadian Presidents Associate Arrested with Missiles for Boko Haram
- Dame Patience Plots to Remove Gov Dickson
- IGP orders Tambuwal arrested?
- Police acted professionally to forestall mayhem, says Ojukwu
- BREAKING: Supreme Court sacks Taraba Ag Governor
- Update: 120 Reps Sign to Impeach President Jonathan
- Boko Haram kill about 45 people in Borno state
- Chaos at National Assembly: Tambuwal Stopped, David Mark Orders shutdown
- Nigeria dire humanitarian situation worries the UN
- Adamawa Scandal: N5.5b missing during Fintiris' 86 days in office
- BREAKING: Tambuwal withdraws from APC presidential contest
- APGA: Appeal panel approves Ukachukwu despite lying on oath
- FG Extends State Of Emergency Rule in Adamawa, Borno, Yobe
- Re: Obiano Bogus Budget; Bribes Lawmakers with N330m
- Sowore and His Sponsors - Historical Burden of Deceit
- The Leadership in Activism
- CFAO Announces the Launch of its Club of Brands
- Re: Obiano Should Call his Wife to Order – APC
- Notice of Monthly Meeting of Biafrans- 29 Nov
- Princewill's disqualification is pathetic, desperate
- EPZ Crisis: Uduaghan and Stupidity Of Clannish Men
- Address by President Jonathan at Flag–Off of Great Green Wall
- Political Corruption and Citizenship around the World
- SSA Urges Ibom Youths to Shun Crab Mentality
- PDP to APC: Enough is Enough
- The Man, Olusegun Mathew Okikiola Aremu Obasanjo
- Institutionalization of Impunity by Presidency
- Citizens Petitions ICC over Gov Shema’s Speech
- Dr Paul John: Bury Your Arrogance, Become Humble!
- Nigeria, Neighbours Must Unite to Win Terrorism - Jonathan
- 2015: Why Jonathan and PDP will lose in A'Ibom
- MUST READ: Grand Conspiracy to Torpedo Civil Rule in Nigeria
- Budget: Obiano Tables N164,496b Before HA
- FA Cup Final: Gov Orji Congratulates Enyimba for Defeating Dolphins
- Boxing: Pacquaio faces Algieri
- Nigeria 2- 2 South Africa: Nigeria out of Nations Cup
- Klitschko KOs Pulev In Fifth Round
- President Jonathan applauds Super Eagles win over Congo
- Nigeria Wallops Congo 2-0 in AFCON Qualifier
- Bulgarian Pulev Hopes To End Klitschko’s Reign
- Equatorial Guinea to Host AFCON 2015
- Super Eagles Off to Congo for Do-or-Die Match
- Kovalev May Have Retired Hopkins With Resounding Victory
- Bernard Hopkins: Champ Testing Time Against Sergey Kovalev
- New York Knicks Spoil Lebron James’ Homecoming Party
- Stephen Keshi: Are There Things That Nigeria Cannot Bungle?
- President Jonathan Orders Recall of Keshi as Super Eagles Coach
- Shock Announcement: Arsenal to sack Wenger
- NBA: San Antonio Spurs Poised To Repeat As Champions
- Zidane Handed a Three-month Ban over Coaching Qualifications
- Football: Ronaldo voted La Liga's best player at LFP awards
- NFF Crisis: Jonathan invites Amaju Pinnick to Presidential Villa
- Gov Orji Congratulates Super Falcons for Emerging Champions
- Bandits steal suspected Ebola blood in Guinea
- Revealed, the happiest countries in the world
- Railway Group signs Chinas' largest overseas contract with Nigeria
- I envy HIV/AIDS patients in Nigeria – Maureen Aisha Edward
- Fiancé hangs himself 4 days after fiancée called off wedding
- ISIS beheads another US aid worker
- Student had sex with sheep, says stressed about exams
- Photonews: Atiku holds meetings with Obasanjo
- Pregnant beggar seen driving Mercedes and counting money
- Anniversary of Berlin Wall: A Symbolic History
- United States Dedicates New Embassy Office Annex in Abuja
- Nigeria's Oil Production picks up, at a 10 year high
- Swiss prosecutors contact oil traders in Nigeria multi-billion dollar scam
- 'Nigeria Cyber Army' hacks Indiana Department of Education website
- Man burns daughter’s rapist genitals with tongs