- Written by Elombah.com
Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney says he may be defeated by President Barack Obama in Tuesday's presidential contest, but it's doubtful. He made the statement as new polls show President Obama Leads US presidential race. The incumbent is edging the closely-fought US election campaign, during which more than $1bn
has been spent trying to woo voters.
Speaking at an Ohio rally Sunday afternoon, Romney said that it's possible, but not likely that Obama will win. He was responding to supporters who booed when he speculated on the consequences of an Obama second term.
Polls suggest the race is very close. Both campaigns predict wins.
Romney is campaigning in four battleground states on Sunday, including Pennsylvania. Romney's visit follows the decision by his campaign and its Republican allies to put millions of dollars in television advertising in Pennsylvania during the race's final weeks to try to make it competitive.
No Republican presidential candidate has carried the state since 1988.
Meanwhile The US presidential campaigns of Barack Obama and Mitt Romney have entered the last two days before voting, with polls indicating the incumbent is in the lead.
According to latest polls, Mr Obama appears to be ahead in enough swing states to secure the presidency for a second term.
After an intensive Saturday criss-crossing key battleground states, the American president is targeting Democrats in Colorado, Florida, Ohio and New Hampshire on Sunday, urging them to vote.
Meanwhile, Republican candidate Mitt Romney has decided to intensify efforts in Iowa, Ohio and then in Democrat-leaning Pennsylvania.
Mr Obama has an apparent edge in some key battleground states, including Ohio, while Mr Romney's campaign is projecting momentum, and banking on late-breaking voters to propel him to victory in the close race.
The Republican hopeful plans to cut away briefly from the nine key battleground states that have dominated the candidates' travel itineraries.
Mr Romney, along with running mate Paul Ryan, plan an early evening rally in Morrisville, Pennsylvania in an attempt to woo disillusioned Democrats.
The key battlegrounds states in the election have been Ohio, Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Nevada, Wisconsin, Iowa and New Hampshire.
After rules regulating campaign funding were eased for this election, the two political parties ploughed huge amounts into primarily negative advertising against the opposition.
Americans in the key states have been hit by a blizzard of campaign ads.
The two political parties and their allied independent groups aired more than a million ads between June and the end of October, according to the Wesleyan University Media Project.
Mr Romney has continued to campaign in key areas
The advertising in 10 strategic states has cost more than $1bn (£620m).
Would-be voters have been bombarded with some 40% more television advertising than the number that ran in the same period in 2008 when Mr Obama defeated Republican John McCain.
But both candidates have appeared to become more fatigued in the frenzied final weekend of campaigning.
Mr Obama apologised to supporters for a hoarse voice at one speech on Saturday.
His apology came as former Democrat president Bill Clinton suffered from a similar problem and told supporters in Virginia he had "given my voice in the service of my president".
Mr Obama's strategy has included appeals to the industrial Midwest, where jobs have been saved after the federal government invested large amounts in the wake of the financial meltdown.
His Republican challenger trails the president in some polls in battleground states but retains a narrow and plausible path to the 270 electoral votes needed to win the presidency
Mr Romney's camp also argues that the Republican may not even be behind the incumbent.
They argue state polls are based on unrealistic assumptions of the size of the Democratic slice of the electorate and underplay Republican enthusiasm.
Mr Romney told crowds in Colorado Springs that the vote is "a moment to look into the future, and imagine what we can do to put the past four years behind us".
"The door to a brighter future is there."
But both sides realise with just two days to go the result may now be beyond their control.
"The power is not with us anymore, the planning, everything we do, it doesn't matter," Mr Obama told supporters in Virginia.
"It's all up to you, it's up to the volunteers - that's how democracy is supposed to be."
- Memo to Buhari: Strategic Policy Instruments to Boost Research & Development In Nigeria, Improve National Innovation
- INEC Declares Ikpeazu, Okorocha Winners of Abia, Imo Guber Elections
- [UPDATED]: Texas-based Igbo killer doctor indicted by medical board, faces license revocation
- The Death Zone Called University Of Uyo Teaching Hospital
- Boko Haram Releases images as part of ISIS, as troops withdraw from Sambisa
- Why The Oil Cabals are after Me - Deziani Allison Madueke
- Breaking: Gunmen Kill El-Rufai's Campaign Coordinator
- President Jonathan Sacks Suleiman Abba, Appoints Arase As Acting Igp
- Peter Obi in South-Africa, Condemns Xenophobic Attacks
- Dr Angela Uwakwem, MD FMC Owerri, Looter and goddess of Corruption
- Happening Now: Group Shuts Down MTN in Benin over Xenophobic Attacks
- Tension in Unizik as Productivity Bonus Tears Staff Apart
- We will Punish PDP Looters and Acts of Lawlessness - Buhari
- Jonathan Blows hot, demands N2trn election funds refund
- APC Finally Unveils their Northern Agenda
- Obiano: The Face of Wickedness, by Joe Martins Uzodike
- Governor Okorocha and Islamization of Imo State... why Okorocha must go
- Buruji Kashamu Responds (Man indicted in US for drug deal elected Senator in Nigeria)
- Military Storms Boko Haram Hideout in Sambisa Forest
- Buhari to Sack all Top Management, Probe and Break up NNPC
- Response to Subomi Plumptre: Your church-shift and a slippery slope
- Rotimi Amaechi, Festus Odimegwu, Ogbonnaya Onu, make Buhari's Transition Committee
- PDP's Ishaku Declared Winner of Taraba Polls
- World Veterinary Day 2015: Celebrating Nobility, by Marzuq Ungogo
- Chukwumerije and death in the Age of Brevity, by Chuks Iloegbunam
- Situation Room Abia State Elections Rerun
- Xenophobia - South Africa, Tribalism - Nigeria: African Dilemma of Hate
- As we prepare for a rerun in Imo State! By Paul John
- Solomon Arase is Nigeria’s most qualified IGP, by Obiora Azikiwe
- Has Muslim Buhari accepted Christian IGP Arase? By Mohammed Sarki
- IGP MD Yusuf out, IGP Solomon Arase in, by Mohammed Sarki
- Jonathan, Buhari and May 28, by Olusegun Adeniyi
- Bola Tinubu is General Buhari’s James Ibori, By Kolawole Kayode
- Uche Chukwumerije (1939 to 2015), by Olusegun Adeniyi
- How callous can the Cross River House of Assembly be? By Okoi Obono-Obla
- Igbos: Sons of Eagle amidst xenophobia, by Bernard Ezenagu
- Xenophobia in its true perspective, by Don Ubani
- Call by Nigerian-Yoruba cardiologist in US for slaughter of Igbos - the lessons
- As Okorocha Becomes president in 2019: Let's Understand Our Differences First
- New Speaker: Gbajabiamila Is the Right Man for the Job, by Ik Orji
- Klitschko Defeats Bryant Jennings by Unanimous Decision
- Meet the new Inspector General of Police, Solomon Arase
- Senegal Drops Nigeria from FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup ticket
- NBA playoffs Preview: Title up for Grabs
- Super Sand Eagles Thrash Egypt 4-1, Qualifies for Semi-final
- Seychelles 2015: Sand Eagles Hammer hosts 10-1
- Nollywood star, Desmond Elliot wins Lagos House Of Assembly Seat
- Harvest of goals as Super Falcons pound Mali 8-0
- Flying Eagles are African Champions
- Flying Eagles beat Ghana 2-0, qualifies for final
- Bolivia Pulls Out of Nigeria Friendly Match
- Flying Eagles Qualify For U-20 World Cup
- Nigeria to play South Africa in friendly on March 29
- Flying Eagles Jets Off to Senegal for AYC
- Arsenal chief wants to sack Arsene Wenger and hire Thierry Henry as manager
- Why Mario Balotelli MUST be in the Liverpool line-up against Manchester City this afternoon
- Keshi Says Nigeria Offered Him 'Slave contract'
- Mayweather Vs Pacquiao: The Fight of the Century
- Shocking Video: Racist Chelsea Fans Push Black Man Out of a Moving Train In Paris
- Kanu Nwankwo voted 13th greatest Arsenal player
- Buhari: I will probe NNPC missing $20 billion
- ECOWAS Launches Manual on Implementation of Regional Programmes
- ECOWAS Calls for Creativity, Innovation Driven Industrialization of W/Africa
- Nigerians say they lost 84m to South Africa Xenophobic Attack
- ECOWAS Seeks Policies For Sustainable Economic Development Of W/Africa
- Texas Based Doctor Calls for Igbo Massacre, Goes into Hiding
- ECOWAS Ministers moves to implement common industrial policy
- Boko Haram Cameroon attack toll rises to 19, 'many beheaded'
- Zimbabwean youths ordered to revenge xenophobia by attacking South Africans
- APC Used Police to Forment Electoral Violence in Akwa Ibom - Gov Akpabio
- ECOWAS Condemns Xenophobic Attacks in South Africa
- Orubebe's Outburst at Collation Centre Was Part of Plot to Kidnap Jega - Reuters
- Why South Africans are attacking foreign Africans but not whites - Quartz
- Judge Lifts Orders against Obasanjo's Book
- Gen Gowon Advocates Government of West Africa