- By Martins Ezigwe
The Nigerian Senate this week received the report of its join sanding committees on the discovery of floating bodies, suspected to be those of detainees in police custody. The committees are the Senate committee on Police Affairs led by Senator Igwe Paulinus Nwagu and The senate Committee on Security & National Intelligence
led by Senator Mohammed Maigoro.The joint committee was headed by Senator Nwagu.
Anambra State Commisssioner of Health, dropped the hint while speaking to newsmen yesterday, but did not offer details.
Over 50-55 lifeless bodies were counted by journalists who rushed to Amansea a border town in Anambra State to witness the bizarre site when the new broke.
Villagers in the border town said the bodies were more in umber as many had been swept on by the current of the fast-flowing Ezu River (At Amansea). Police however claimed that 18 bodies were retrieved and buried beside the river bed on the orders f Anambra State Government.
The Senate Committee Visited Anambra and Enugu on February 12 and 23, 2013.On its first visit, he joint committee held a public hearing in the Multi-purpose Hall of Government House Awka and visiting Ezu River. On its second visit, the joint committee took additional testimonies from communities and groups in camera at Amansea before visiting such installations as the State Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) office of the Anambra State Police Command in Awkuzu.
The committee also interrogated the records and met with the Administrative judge in the Federal High Court Awka, Nigerian Prisons Service in Awka and Enugu and other locations unknown to the public.
The Senate is receiving the report at a time the facts of the case have also been independently placed before the International Criminal Court in The Hague, Netherlands
- Insurgency: 631 Killed in July; 4,749 in 7 Months of 2014
- President Jonathan Appoints New Inspector-General of Police
- A Compendium of Atrocities against Igbos, Biafran Activists
- Yet Again, Bomb Blast Hits NNPC Mega Station in Kano
- If Buhari Was Killed By Assassins; Nigeria Would Have Been In Turmoil – Jonathan
- Court of Appeal affirms Gov. Obiano’s election
- Boko Haram Kidnaps Cameroon Vice Prime Minister’s Wife
- Genocide Averted in Kano Mosque as Police Discovers Bomb
- 5 Die As Catholic Church Got Bombed in Sabon-Gari, Kano
- Omisore Absent At Osun Governorship Election Debate
- BREAKING NEWS: Fresh Bomb Blast Hits Kano Again!
- BREAKING NEWS: Bomb Hits Kaduna, 25 Dead
- Chibok: 11 parents of Nigeria's abducted girls die
- Nyako Was impeached because unable to pay Lawmakers N20 Billion - APC
- Where is the 200m released for Lead Poisoning Treatment in Zamfara
- Serial Killings of Muslims of Ngoshe, Chikide, Gavva, Agapalawa Villages in Borno State
- Boko Haram Takes Control of Damboa Town in Borno, Hoists Flag
- Ex Adamawa Governor, Nyako Flees Nigeria
- Security: tracking online activities for cyber terrorism, espionage, int'l crime
- Tobacco Smoking Bill: Memo Submitted by Environmental Groups
- Press Release: "Just Before the People of Osun Decides"
- Folly of a Drop-Out and Kleptomaniac Called Aniekeme Finbarr
- Failures of the 2014 National Conference
- OYC Communiqué: No Need for Northern Presidency Come 2050!
- Dept. of State Security Services and Indiscriminate Shootings
- Prince Buruji Kashamu: The Custodian of Wealth, the Humble Servant Of Fortune
- Obesity: Some Weird and Plausible Suggestions!
- Rivers: Those That Would Abandon Amaechi
- Hard, Hard Truth; APGA, Oh My APGA!
- What Else Will Delete the Title of ' Fiery ' from Sheikh?
- Osun Polls: Aregbesola in Clear Lead on All Critical Indicators
- President Jonathan Appoints New IG of Police: Clarification
- 2015 In Our Mind
- The Ebola Virus and the Express Challenge to the Human Race
- Doctors Without Bothers
- Don’t Kill Cement Manufacturing In Nigeria - NLC
- Antidotal Notes on Femi Aribisala’s Falsification of Scripture
- Chido @50: When the Book Reads like Its Cover
- Continued Demand for the Removal of Nigeria Ambassador to Mali
- Ogoni Misfortunes and Amaechi’s Decamp to APC: A Parallax
- Stephen Keshi Trashes N7m Contract Reports
- 26 State FA Chairmen Reinstate Aminu Maigari
- Everton Buys Romelu Lukaku
- Team Nigeria on a Gold Rush in Glasgow
- Spanish Court to Continue Tax Fraud Case against Lionel Messi
- Cristiano Ronaldo Wins Goal 50 Award
- Delta State's Okagbare Claims Gold in Commonwealth 100m Hit
- Ahmed Musa Inspires CSKA Moscow to Sixth Super Cup Title
- Golovkin Spectacularly Stops Daniel Geale
- Golovkin: Knockout Champion Defends Title against Daniel Geale
- Embattled NFF President Aminu Maigari Sacked Over Financial Misappropriation
- French Star, Evra Completes Juve Move
- Chisora Opts out of Tyson Fury Saturday Bout
- I am still in the National Team – Enyeama
- Bolt, Farah, Wiggins and Fraser for Glasgow Commonwealth
- Nigeria striker rejected by keshi, signed for club record fee
- Manny Pacquiao Announces Fight with Algieri
- Louis van Gaal Starts Work at Manchester United
- Battle of Ogwumikes: Elder Nneka Prevails Over Chinyere in Historic Matchup
- Maradona, Blatter Disagree with Messi best-player award
- Boko Haram clashes with Cameroon soldiers in cross-border attacks
- Lagos massage parlours where sex is ‘after-service’ bonus - Punch
- Nigeria’s 419 Scammers Trade Up to Info-Stealing Trojan Attacks
- Nigeria Attractive to Investors Despite Challenges, Says Aganga
- Pro-Russian rebels plan to sabotage investigation into Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 crash
- Kim Kardashian sex tape star Ray J charged with 10 crimes
- Tulisa Drug Trial Collapse: 'Fake Sheikh' Suspended
- Facebook banned these Women's Rowing Team's Naked Calendar
- US Court awards $23 billion punitive damages against major cigarette company
- Bolt, Farah, Wiggins and Fraser for Glasgow Commonwealth
- Bizarre: Boy, 9, marries 62-year-old woman for second time
- Disgusting! Looters Stole Cash, Credit Cards, and Jewelry from Flight MH17 Crash Victims
- Appeal court overturns Berlusconi convictions in underage sex case
- Malaysian plane crashes in Ukraine: BBC updates
- Tulisa supplied cocaine after she was offered Hollywood film role