- Written by Martins Ezigwe
The Nigerian Senate this week received the report of its join sanding committees on the discovery of floating bodies, suspected to be those of detainees in police custody. The committees are the Senate committee on Police Affairs led by Senator Igwe Paulinus Nwagu and The senate Committee on Security & National Intelligence
led by Senator Mohammed Maigoro.The joint committee was headed by Senator Nwagu.
Anambra State Commisssioner of Health, dropped the hint while speaking to newsmen yesterday, but did not offer details.
Over 50-55 lifeless bodies were counted by journalists who rushed to Amansea a border town in Anambra State to witness the bizarre site when the new broke.
Villagers in the border town said the bodies were more in umber as many had been swept on by the current of the fast-flowing Ezu River (At Amansea). Police however claimed that 18 bodies were retrieved and buried beside the river bed on the orders f Anambra State Government.
The Senate Committee Visited Anambra and Enugu on February 12 and 23, 2013.On its first visit, he joint committee held a public hearing in the Multi-purpose Hall of Government House Awka and visiting Ezu River. On its second visit, the joint committee took additional testimonies from communities and groups in camera at Amansea before visiting such installations as the State Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) office of the Anambra State Police Command in Awkuzu.
The committee also interrogated the records and met with the Administrative judge in the Federal High Court Awka, Nigerian Prisons Service in Awka and Enugu and other locations unknown to the public.
The Senate is receiving the report at a time the facts of the case have also been independently placed before the International Criminal Court in The Hague, Netherlands
- Boko Haram slaughters 48 fish vendors in northeast Nigeria
- Chadian Presidents Associate Arrested with Missiles for Boko Haram
- Dame Patience Plots to Remove Gov Dickson
- IGP orders Tambuwal arrested?
- Police acted professionally to forestall mayhem, says Ojukwu
- BREAKING: Supreme Court sacks Taraba Ag Governor
- Update: 120 Reps Sign to Impeach President Jonathan
- Boko Haram kill about 45 people in Borno state
- Chaos at National Assembly: Tambuwal Stopped, David Mark Orders shutdown
- Nigeria dire humanitarian situation worries the UN
- Adamawa Scandal: N5.5b missing during Fintiris' 86 days in office
- BREAKING: Tambuwal withdraws from APC presidential contest
- APGA: Appeal panel approves Ukachukwu despite lying on oath
- FG Extends State Of Emergency Rule in Adamawa, Borno, Yobe
- Court Strikes Out Tambuwal Suit on Security Withdrawal
- Suicide bomber kills 13 in Bauchi as Churches Wrecked, Men Hide in Trees in Nigeria Caliphate
- Breaking: suicide bomber kills several people in Bauchi
- Nigeria army takes back Chibok town from boko haram insurgents
- Revealed: How Boko Haram Captured Kidnapped Schoolgirls' Hometown
- Boko Haram: 7 Churches Set Ablaze in Northern Adamawa - Bishop
- What Does A Nigerian Legislator Do?
- Rivers APC Congratulates New CJN
- Must-Rule Charlatan Syndrome
- CRGI Tags Police, DSS Invasion Of NASS ‘Treason’
- The Rout of Tambuwal’s Defection
- Mr White - Dr MD Dogara: The Man and His Politics
- Give us this day, the leader we need!
- UAD Says No To Extension of State of Emergency
- Before Governor Shema's Order of Genocide Arrives
- Anambra: who said that Obiano is ill-prepared to be Governor?
- Re: "Nigeria died in 1966 .. "
- Nigeria Needs a Democratic Government
- Between Presidents Jonathan and Obasanjo
- Rivers APC Dismisses Call for Amaechi’s Arrest
- From Execu-thieves to Law-breakers
- Nigeria as an Animal Farm
- Bizarre: Pastor Undresses and Kisses Female Church Members Asses
- Plan to Arrest Tambuwal Is Recipe for Chaos – APC
- Lagos APC Condemns Raid on APC Data Center
- Addressing Our Elders in Preparation for 2015
- FA Cup Final: Gov Orji Congratulates Enyimba for Defeating Dolphins
- Boxing: Pacquaio faces Algieri
- Nigeria 2- 2 South Africa: Nigeria out of Nations Cup
- Klitschko KOs Pulev In Fifth Round
- President Jonathan applauds Super Eagles win over Congo
- Nigeria Wallops Congo 2-0 in AFCON Qualifier
- Bulgarian Pulev Hopes To End Klitschko’s Reign
- Equatorial Guinea to Host AFCON 2015
- Super Eagles Off to Congo for Do-or-Die Match
- Kovalev May Have Retired Hopkins With Resounding Victory
- Bernard Hopkins: Champ Testing Time Against Sergey Kovalev
- New York Knicks Spoil Lebron James’ Homecoming Party
- Stephen Keshi: Are There Things That Nigeria Cannot Bungle?
- President Jonathan Orders Recall of Keshi as Super Eagles Coach
- Shock Announcement: Arsenal to sack Wenger
- NBA: San Antonio Spurs Poised To Repeat As Champions
- Zidane Handed a Three-month Ban over Coaching Qualifications
- Football: Ronaldo voted La Liga's best player at LFP awards
- NFF Crisis: Jonathan invites Amaju Pinnick to Presidential Villa
- Gov Orji Congratulates Super Falcons for Emerging Champions
- Bandits steal suspected Ebola blood in Guinea
- Revealed, the happiest countries in the world
- Railway Group signs Chinas' largest overseas contract with Nigeria
- I envy HIV/AIDS patients in Nigeria – Maureen Aisha Edward
- Fiancé hangs himself 4 days after fiancée called off wedding
- ISIS beheads another US aid worker
- Student had sex with sheep, says stressed about exams
- Photonews: Atiku holds meetings with Obasanjo
- Pregnant beggar seen driving Mercedes and counting money
- Anniversary of Berlin Wall: A Symbolic History
- United States Dedicates New Embassy Office Annex in Abuja
- Nigeria's Oil Production picks up, at a 10 year high
- Swiss prosecutors contact oil traders in Nigeria multi-billion dollar scam
- 'Nigeria Cyber Army' hacks Indiana Department of Education website
- Man burns daughter’s rapist genitals with tongs