Elombah
Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Again lawmakers stop commencement of 774,000 Jobs

54

Lawmakers of the House of Representatives has once again stopped the 774,000 special works programme which has been slated to commence in January 2021.

The House reached the resolution after adopting “a motion of urgent public importance” sponsored by Hon. Olajide Olatubonsun, on Tuesday.

The Lawmakers asked the Federal government to suspend the programme and directed the Ministry of Finance not to release the funds for the programme.

The House said the directive will subsist until issues that affects the integrity of the programme are settled.

During the debate, the House also condemned the sack of the Director General of the National Directorate of Employment (NDE), Mohammed Ladan Argungu.

It could be recalled that President Muhammadu Buhari had sacked the Director General of the National Directorate of Employment without warning last week.

The lawmakers, therefore, advised that Argungu be reinstated immediately.

Hon. Onofiok Luke, while contributing to the debate, said the decision of the government to sack the Director General of the NDE was ill advised.

He argued that the money meant for the programme was provided for in the 2020 budget since it was initially supposed to take place same year.

However, since it has been shifted to 2021, there was the need to suspend its implementation until there is provision made for it in the 2021 budget, Hon. Luke noted.

Read also:

774,000 jobs programme kicks off January 5

Comments are closed.