Alex Ekwueme University inaugurates Maduike, Onwuka, ors as Trustees of IRUKA Centre
Maduike, Onwuka, Onwe, others inaugurated as Trustees of IRUKA Centre by Alex Ekwueme Federal University
The Board of Trustees of IRUKA (Centre for the study of the future of the Igbo), established by the Alex Ekwueme Federal University, Ndufu-Alike, Ebonyi State, was inaugurated last week at the university by the former President-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Chief Nnia Nwodo.
Members of the Board of Trustees present at the inauguration were:
1. Professor Ihechukwu Madubuike (Chairman)
2. Senator Emmanuel Onwe (Vice-chairman)
3. Professor Akachi Adimora-Ezeigbo
4. Professor Chinedum Nwajiuba
5. Mr Azuka Onwuka
6. Professor Chukwunonso Ejike (internal member)
7. The Vice Chancellor of the University
8. Dr Onyinye Anne Nwankwo (Secretary)
According to Prof. Chinedum Nwajiuba, the outgoing Vice-Chancellor, who initiated the think-tank, IRUKA (Centre for the study of the future of the Igbo) was established by the Alex Ekwueme Federal University for the purposes of developing and testing forecasts, plans, strategies and relationship intersections that are focused on the future of the Igbo in a changing world. The appointment of members of the Board of Trustees of IRUKA is for a period of four years.
Prof. Nwajiuba noted that members of the Board of Trustees are to ensure that the centre serves as a fulcrum for the propagation of the Igbo worldview by:
* Establishing policies related to the Centre’s goals and objectives.
* Approving the annual budget for the academic programmes set by the Centre.
* Providing platforms for discussing issues relating to the Igbo world in the 21st century.
* Ensuring good collaboration with some government agencies such as the Ministry of Education, Arts and Culture to promote the Igbo language, history and culture.
* Creating avenues for embarking on partnership programmes for corporate funding and sponsorship/Scholarship from non-governmental organisations.
* Ensuring that the Centre is well equipped and properly managed by knowledgeable and proficient members of the University.
* Periodically reviewing the strategic plans for the mapped out activities of the Centre for each quarter and advise Management on issues relating to the Centre
The inauguration of the Board of Trustees of IRUKA held during the maiden colloquium of IRUKA tagged Taa Bu Gboo, which was attended by a select group of Igbo stakeholders which included Prof Uche Azikiwe, wife of late Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe; Senator Adolphus Nwagbara, former Senate President; Ambassador George Obiozor, President-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, represented by the publicity secretary Uzodimma Okoaro; Professor Uzodinma Nwala, President, Alaigbo Development Foundation, and guest speaker; Chief Nnia Nwodo; Dr Joe Nworgu, former secretary general of Ohanaeze Ndigbo; Chief Uzodinma Okpara, son of Dr Michael Okpara, former premier of Eastern Region.
The colloquium series provides a framework for harvesting the thoughts of notable thinkers and turning them into cohesive action points for relevant groups and institutions across the globe.