Being highlight of the resolutions of the 10th general conference of the Anambra State Association Of Registered Voters (ASARVOTE) At Onitsha Holiday Resort Hotel, Onitsha Anambra State on Tuesday 20th July,2021
The Anambra State Association of Registered Voters (ASARVOTE), an umbrella body of non-party affiliated registered voters in Anambra State, at the end of ASARVOTE’s 10th General Conference deliberations agreed on the following resolutions:
- That President Muhammadu Buhari-led All Progressives Congress (APC) Federal Government of Nigeria is called upon as a matter of urgency to end Igbo marginalization by respecting the Federal Character principle for equitable distribution of Federal Government appointments for national unity and sense of belonging under Section 14 (3) of the Amended 1999 Constitution of Nigeria.
This call, if heeded, will by necessary implication to end the self-determination agitation by the various ethnic nationalities in the country.
This will also restore peace and put an end to the current military occupation and check-points throughout Igboland today.
- That the recent National Assembly (NASS) passage of a ‘conditional clause’ as contained in the provision of the incoming Amended Electoral Act for an electronic transmission of General election results in the country is unconstitutional for being inconsistent with the clear provisions of Sections 78 and 153 (1), (f) 3rd Schedule S.15 Part 1 of the Amended 1999 Constitution of Nigeria as the sole power given by the constitution to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to ‘conduct’, ‘organise, undertake and supervise’ all elections…’ can never be shared by INEC with any other body including NCC and NASS.
INEC must be allowed to exercise its independence to enable the commission to conduct free and fair elections in the country.
- That the non-conduct of Local Government election in Anambra State since the past 22 years of unbroken democracy in Nigeria, especially during the 16 years of the All Progressives Grand Alliance, (APGA) Administration should be a major issue to be considered by Registered Voters in the Anambra State Governorship election campaigns that is about to begin for the choice of who becomes the next Governor of Anambra State.
- That ASARVOTE shall support and vote for a governorship Candidate that agree with ASARVOTE to use his/her position as elected Governor of Anambra State to conduct free and fair Local Government election in Anambra State (including giving all the participating political parties equal level playing field) during his tenure of office.
- That despite the billions of naira collected by the APGA-led Government of Anambra State as internally generated revenue from the traders at the Onitsha Main Market, Ose Main Market, Ochanja Main Market, Ogbaru Main Market and other markets in the Onitsha metropolis, the roads leading to these markets has become an eyesore and a death-trap. This total neglect by the APGA-led Government of Anambra State is highly condemnable.
- That we call on all the non-party affiliated Registered Voters in Anambra State to take their destiny on their own hands by joining our fold in sensitizing the good people of Anambra State through voter education campaigns to come out en masse to register in the ongoing Voter Registration exercise and equally join us to come out en masse during the governorship election proper on November 6,2021 to elect a good Governor for our dear state.
ASARVOTE! Power To The Masses!!
Power To The Masses! ASARVOTE!!
Barr. Dr. Jezie Ekejiuba President
Hon.Sylvester Odife Jnr. Secretary