Although no official announcement has been made by Chelsea over Antonio Conte new position, the Italian Football Federation president, Carlo Tavecchio has confirmed he will leave after Euro 2016.
A formal announcement is expected later today but Tavecchio has confirmed that the 46-year-old has made clear his intention to depart.
“Conte will leave the national team after the European Championship,” said Tavecchio.
Chelsea is expected to confirm his arrival on a 3-year contract having already given him the green light to bring his long-term assistants, Angelo Alessio and Massimo Carrera, with him to Stamford Bridge.
Conte is will leave his post as Italy’s national manager after the summer’s European Championship in France to formalise his arrival at Stamford Bridge.
He will take over a Chelsea team that have endured the worst season of Roman Abramovich’s 13-year ownership, with José Mourinho having been sacked in December and Guus Hiddink having hoisted the team from the fringes of the relegation zone to 10th place and safety.
The Italian Football Federation is due to discuss the Azzurri’s managerial situation at a board meeting this afternoon, but Conte has already made clear he will not be seeking to renew his contract after two years with the national team.
Speculation surrounding Conte’s future has gathered pace in recent months, with the former Juventus boss believed to be the favourite to take charge of Chelsea at the end of the season.
“Antonio Conte has told me that his experience with Italy will end after the Euros,” Tavecchio said in a statement. “He misses the training pitch and working with players every day. That’s understandable.”
The 46-year-old agreed a two-year deal to replace Cesare Prandelli following the 2014 World Cup and will lead the Azzurri into the European Championships this summer.
However, news that he will stand down following the tournament will only further increase claims that Chelsea have enticed the former Juventus midfielder to the Premier League.
“He hears the call of the [training] pitch and of daily work, which is understandable.” The former Juventus midfielder and manager has been in talks with Chelsea officials for several weeks and is understood to have told Tavecchio on Monday that he would be returning to club football ahead of next season.
Steve Holland, the incumbent assistant first-team coach, is expected to remain on the coaching staff but there could also be roles for Paolo Bertelli, Mauro Sandreani and Conte’s brother, Gianluca, at the London club.
Conte, who led Juventus to three successive titles up to 2014, replaced Cesare Prandelli on a two-year deal after Italy’s exit at the group stage at the 2014 World Cup.
Yet the side were eliminated from the FA Cup and Champions League last week, and are unlikely to be able to offer the new manager European football for the season ahead.