The Leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has condemned in strong terms the withdrawal of the Chief Security Officer (CSO) to the Governor of Rivers State, Chief Ezenwo Nyesom Wike on Monday, December 5, 2016.
2. Nigerians will recall that Governor Wike alerted on the plots of enemies led by Government at the Center to murder him.
A serious indication was the Commissioner of Police, Rivers State, Mr. Folusho Adebanjo, working on the Order of desperate APC led Federal Government withdrew more than 70 percent of security personnel detailed to the Rivers State Government house, Port Harcourt.
Governor Wike has written two letters to the Inspector General of Police (IGP) reporting this obvious breach of his constitutional rights which has received no response but instead, the CSO, who happens to be the Governor’s number one line of defence, was withdrawn as the reply from the IGP.
3. This latest development has confirmed that the former Governor of Rivers State and now Minister of Transport, Rt. Hon. Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi in collaboration with his Party’s led federal government and its security agencies has finalized plans to assassinate the Governor of Rivers State.
This is despicable and a complete affront and declaration of war on Rivers people using the apparatus of state.
4. This has again confirmed the serious desperation of the All Progressive Congress (APC) to win elections at all cost with no single consideration to the lives of Nigerians.
It is common knowledge that since the inception of this government, the APC leaders have approached elections in the Country with different rigging methods.
5. For the record, the APC used ‘Inconclusive Elections’ to rig Kogi, Nasarawa, Imo and some other By-Elections but failed in Bayelsa and Rivers States.
In Edo State, the APC in collaboration with INEC and the Security Agencies postponed the Election on the pretext of security threats in order to perfect their rigging plans which they successfully implemented during the Poll.
The latest was the Ondo State Gubernatorial Election which the APC again deployed another method to rig the Election in advance by causing Justice Okon Abang of FCT, High Court and INEC to delist the name of our Candidate, Eyitayo Jegede for 3 weeks thereby incapacitating him from campaigning and selling the Manifesto of our Party to the electorates in Ondo State.
On the forthcoming Rivers Re-Run, they have shifted and delayed the Elections for no genuine reasons.
6. The new method being applied by the APC against the Rivers Re-Run Elections now is the withdrawal of security details of the Governor in order to expose him to danger of assassination and possibly intimidate him to succumb to their rigging plans.
This is not acceptable and if anything happens to the Governor of Rivers State, Chief Nyesom Wike, his family or any of our Party member or supporter in Rivers State, Rivers people and indeed all Nigerians should hold Chibuike Amaechi and his Party leaders responsible.
7. The Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is very clear on the grounds by which the security of a sitting Governor can be withdrawn. This is a big slap on our Constitution and must be condemned by all well-meaning Nigerians before the APC reverses all the gains of democracy we have nurtured since 1999.
8. We therefore call on the Inspector General of Police, IGP, Mr. Ibrahim Idris and the Director General of State Security Services (SSS), Lawal Daura to as a matter of urgency restore all the security details of Governor Nyesom Wike and to secure the Government House, Port Harcourt, Rivers State.
Failure to do this before the Saturday, December 10, 2016 Re Run Elections is indirectly calling on Rivers people to resort to self-help.
9. Finally, we call on all Nigerians to pray fervently for the survival of our hard earned democracy under this suffocating APC led Federal Government.
Our Democracy is in serious danger and if proper care is not taken, we might be heading to anarchy. A stitch in time saves nine!
10. God bless Rivers State! God bless Nigeria!!
Prince Dayo Adeyeye
National Publicity Secretary