Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Army Source Confirms Gudumbali Boko Haram Attack, Says Soldiers Ran


An independent Army source has confirmed that Boko Haram insurgents on Saturday dislodged troops and recaptured Gudumbali town, the headquarters of Guzamala Local Government Area in the northern part of Borno State.

Citing a report by a “Sergeant” (name withheld), the source said that civilians  and soldiers scampered for safety and took refuge in Gubio as Boko Haram struck Gudumbali.

Recall that the Nigerian Army had issued statement and downplayed the attack.

The statement, issued by the Army spokesman, Lieutenant General Texas Chukwu, simply stated that  the insurgents attacked the army fortress but were repelled by “gallant troops”.

However, the report obtained by ElombahNews said that “hundreds of displaced residents who had only returned to the town a few weeks ago were fleeing their homes in Gudumbali on Friday night when the terrorists attacked troops”.

Insisting that “many civilians and soldiers took refuge in Gubio while the insurgents raided the town”, the report cited a “source on the phone from Gubio”, stating:

Photo shows weapons reportedly seized by Boko Haram from Nigerian Army in Gudumbali town

“Last night, there was sporadic shooting everywhere as the insurgents shouted ‘Allah is Great!’.

“Boko Haram has dislodged troops and they are currently in Gudumbali, the headquarters of Guzamala LGA HQ.”

A second source, one familiar with the operations of the military in Borno, confirmed the attack, saying: “It is true.

“The attacks began yesterday and Boko Haram finally retook Gudumbali from the Army.”

Usman Mamman Durkwa, Deputy Governor of Borno State, also confirmed the development:

“Thousands of people who were displaced and spent some years in resettlement camps in maiduguri recently returned home after the liberation of those surrounding communities by our gallant security forces.

“However, I regret to confirm to you that there was another attack by insurgents on Gudumbali, even though I am yet to get the number of casualties.

Gudumbali is the same town where, in July, Tukur Buratai, Chief of Army Staff, unveiled a cenotaph in remembrance of the 144 officers and soldiers who fell to Boko Haram in a single swoop in November 2015.

The Gudumbali attack is still considered one of the deadliest single casualties of the military in the ongoing Boko Haram war.

The victims were among a battalion of 750 soldiers who suffered the shock reprisal attack after fighting for four days through a heavily fortified rank of Boko Haram.

Pray for our gallant soldiers, they need our support and motivation now!! [End]

In a separate report, the source also “announced with sadness, the passing away of a gallant soldier, 2nd Lieutenant Chibuzo Ezenwa from Imo State.

“Chibuzo is one of the Senior officers killed in the last Boko Haram attack on Army Base in Zari Village, north of Maiduguri, near the border between Nigeria and Niger Republic.

“He was one of the officers who fought gallantly, preventing Boko Haram members from overrunning their base last Thursday evening.”

The source prayed “that the almighty God grant his family, friends and loved ones the fortitude to bear this great loss.”

In another development, it also stated that “Major General M. Alkali missing report has it that he may have been abducted by Boko Haram”.

Missing Major General Alkali

Major General Alkali, according to the report, was last heard from four days ago when he was travelling from Abuja to Bauchi.

His whereabouts is still yet unknown by the military authorities and relatives, the report stated.

It is suspected that Major General Alkali who was travelling on his car may have been kidnapped by Boko Haram terrorist group, as there is no news of any accident involving his car along that road.

The State Security Services detected signals from his phone around Jos South, and it’s disappearing later, the report added, citing “Family” sources.

It, meanwhile, wished the General a safe return.


Nigerian Army launched a counter-attack to retake Gudumbali on the evening of Sempember 8 to no avail.

As of the time of writing this report, the operation is still ongoing with fighting having spread as far as Kukawa, 43km away.

Comments are closed.