BREAKING: Steer Clear Off Enugu Airport, Senate Warns Buhari Govt
The Nigerian Senate has passed a motion telling the President Muhammadu Buhari-led federal government to desist from the threat to downgrade Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu.
The motion was sponsored by Senator Victor Umeh [Anambra Central] on Thursday, May 31, and co-sponsored by 16 other senators.
The other senators are:
- Ahmed Ogembe [Kogi Central]
- Hope Uzodinma [Imo West]
- Samuel Anyanwu [Imo East]
- Gilbert Nnaji [Enugu East]
- Obinna Ogba [Ebonyi Central]
- Owan John Enoh [Cross River Central]
- Stella Oduah Anambra North]
- Sunny Ogbuoji [Ebonyi South]
- Enyinnaya Abaribe [Abia South]
- Chukwuka Utazi [Enugu North]
- Andy Ubah [Anambra South]
- Mao Ohuabunwa [Abia North]
- Theodore Orji [Abia Central]
- Samuel Egwu [Ebonyi North]
- Peter Nwaoboshi [Delta North], and,
- Ben Uwajumogu [Imo North].
Following the threat to downgrade Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu, the Senators, speaking in turns said:
Senator Shehu Sani: “I really appreciate the fast response of the Minister for these past 4years. This airport is strategic in its location. I fully support this motion, the airport (Akanu Ibiam) should not be downgraded.”
Senator Barnabas Gemade: “I rise to lend my voice to this critical motion. We must ensure that this airport is not downgraded.”
Senator Tayo Alasoadura: “I fully support this motion and I want us to know that Enugu is the center of the South East and I will recommend that a new standard Airport should be built.”
Senator Chukwuka Utazi: “Urgent steps must be taken to make sure the airport is put in order”.
Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu: “Let me thank everyone for our usual patriotism.
“The airport is not just for the people of Enugu, but for everyone, it is a universal issue and we must take it seriously.
“This matter has been on for a long time and every day we just keep our fingers crossed and pray nothing bad happens.
“I am happy the Senate has brought it up and this should be looked into by the government to repair the Enugu runway.
“As it stands now, flights do not land at night in Enugu. The Federal Government needs to look at the landing lights so that lives can be saved.”
The Senate, therefore, resolved to:
- Urge the Federal Government and the Federal Ministry of Aviation not to consider downgrading Akanu Ibiam International Airport as a matter of urgency;
- Urge the Federal Government to rehabilitate the runway of Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu for the safety of passengers and aircrafts;
- Urge the Federal Government to take steps to complete the new terminal building of the Enugu International Airport and put it to use by local and foreign airlines;
- Urge the Federal Ministry of Aviation and it’s agencies to develop a water source with the nearby Ekulu River for the use of the airport;
- Appreciate the Enugu State Government for swiftly demolishing and ordering the relocation of Orie Emene Market, shutting down the nearby abattoir and ordering the immediate removal of the broadcasting mast and other illegal structures on the approach of the airport; and
- Urge the Federal Ministry of Aviation to return the generator set moves to Port-Harcourt airport.
See attached document for further details: