President Muhammadu Buhari has refused to accept a refund of the N400 million paid into the account of Chief Olisa Metuh from the office of the National Security Adviser, Elombah.com has learnt.
The embattled National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, is being prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, for the N400million allegedly electronically wired into his company account from the Office of the National Security Adviser, ONSA.
The family of the former National Publicity Secretary of PDP has described as absurd, the refusal of the Federal Government to accept refund of the N400 million.
A source close to the family told Elombah.com that Metuh Offered to pay even before he was released on bail.
“EFCC was happy to accept a refund, but eventually declined after consulting with the President”.
In a statement in Abuja Thursday and signed by Chief Gilbert Metuh, the family noted that though the money paid into Metuh’s account had been spent on the order of former President Goodluck Jonathan, he was willing to make a refund. Olisa Metuh “It is instructive that out of over 300 names listed as having received money from the ONSA, all those who offered to refund money were not arraigned in court.
“Our son is the only one whose offer to refund money was rejected and has been arraigned in court and his case given accelerated hearing. On each trial date the hostility in the courtroom is palpable,” he said.
The family further described as unfortunate the refusal of the court to allow Olisa Metuh to travel abroad for medical treatment, expressing fear that their son might be sentenced to a life on wheel chair if he is not allowed to travel to London for corrective surgery.
“Our son was diagnosed with a spinal cord problem in 2004.
“He has consistently managed it over this period. “However, due to the treatments he received while in custody, the situation got aggravated. In the course of his trial, the situation deteriorated, especially after he fell at a meeting in the party office for which he was rushed to the National Hospital and was admitted in the Intensive Care Unit,” the statement said.
The Metuh family expressed shock that with all the information available to the court regarding his medical condition and the critical need for him to have this corrective surgery, the Federal High Court Abuja refused his application.
“It is also instructive to note that the Federal High Court Abuja on the same day granted leave to someone facing similar trial to go abroad for one month for prayers while our ailing son is not allowed to travel for urgent medical attention.
“We are also aware that a few others facing similar trials, within the same federal high court jurisdiction, have been granted leave to travel for medical treatment and their passports released to them by the same court where they were granted bail.”
It reminded the Federal Government that the essence of a criminal trial is to achieve justice, adding that no justice can be achieved if the person dies in the process.