*Peter Obi, IGP Arase, others may be axed*
President Muhammadu Buhari has demanded a compilation of all appointments made by former President Goodluck Jonathan [captured above] between April 1 and May 28, 2015 which represents the two months before the former President handed over to Buhari on May 29.
The Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) Babachir David Lawal disclosed this in a service wide circular dated September 18, 2015.
Therein, he asked all permanent secretaries to submit the list of all appointments made into all Federal Government Parastatals, Agencies, Commissions or Extra-Ministerial Offices under the supervision of their respective Ministries from April 1, to May 28, 2015.
They were further directed to ensure that the list gets to the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (OSGF) not later than 30th September, 2015.
In the circular, the SGF said some of the appointments carried out in the recent past into vacant positions of Chief Executive Officers of Federal Government Parastatals and Agencies were not guided by the various laws establishing them, and were not based on merit.
“It is in view of the foregoing that, Mr. President directed that all appointments made into executive and non-executive positions (including renewal of tenure) in all Federal Government Parastatals, Agencies and Commissions between the period 1st April, 2015 to 28th May, 2015 should be reviewed,” it said.
In light of this, fears are that the Inspector General of Police (IGP) Solomon Arase, chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Peter Obi, chairman of the National Hajj Commission (NAHCON) Abdullahi Mukhtar Mohammed and many others might be axed.
It could be recalled that former president Jonathan, shortly before he left office made the following appointments:
– Peter Obi, former Anambra State Governor – appointed SEC chairman on April 27
– Solomon Arase – appointed IGP in April 21 following the removal of Suleiman Abba
– Mr. Denzil Amagbe Kentebe – appointed Executive Secretary of the Nigerian Content Management Development Board (NCDMB). He replaced Engineer Ernest Nwapa
– Mrs Asabe Asmau Ahmed – appointed Executive Secretary of the Petroleum Equalisation Fund (PEF). She replaced Mrs. Sharon Adefunke Kasali who was axed by Jonathan
– Abdullahi Mukhtar Mohammed – appointed NAHCON chairman on May 5 and inaugurated May 22 along with other members
– Alhaji Haruna Sambo and Mr. Babatunde Igun – appointed executive directors for the Bank of Agriculture
– Mounir Gwarzo – appointed Director-General of SEC at the expiration of the tenure of Arunmah Oteh
– Mr. Olufemi A. Akingbade – appointed Acting Executive Secretary of the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS), replaced Dr Femi Thomas
Others are Mrs. Uju Aisha Hassan-Baba of the Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission (NIPC), Mr Bassey Okon Akpanyung of the National Planning Commission (NPC), traditional rulers as chancellors for all the 38 federal universities in the country, former Governor of Ogun State Otunba Gbenga Daniel and Ex-minister of State for Defence, Chief Olusola Obada, retired Lt. Gen. Ishaya Bamaiya among chairmen of governing councils of some federal universities.
Elombah.com gathered that the development is not unconnected to the review that the SGF, Engr. Babachir David Lawal, recently inaugurated an eight-man committee on the reconstitution of all Federal Government Boards of Parastatals, Agencies and Commissions.
The Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Engineer Babachir David Lawal, in his office, on behalf of His Excellency, President Muhammadu Buhari, inaugurated the Presidential Committee on the Reconstitution of Federal Government Boards of Parastatals, Agencies and Commissions.
2. The Committee is headed by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation while other members are:
(i) Alh. Mai Mala Buni (North-East Zone) -Member
(ii) Alh. Zakari Idde (North-Central Zone) -Member
(iii) Alh. Inuwa Abdulkadir (North-West Zone) -Member
(iiii) Chief Hillard Etagbo Eta (South-South Zone) -Member
(v) Chief Pius Akinyelure (South-West Zone) -Member
(vi) Chief Emmanuel Eneukwa (South-East Zone-Member
(vii) Mr. Gideon Sammani (SSAP to the President)-Secretary
3. The Terms of Reference of the Committee are as follows:
(i) To determine and recommend to Mr. President, the Governing Boards of Federal Government Parastatals, Agencies and Commissions to be reconstituted immediately;
(ii) To identify the available positions of the Chairmanship and Membership levels in each of the affected Parastatals, Agencies and Commissions as provided for in their respective enabling laws;
(iii) To allocate the Chairmanship and Membership positions to each State of the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory, including slots for Presidential discretion;
(iiii) To receive and screen the nominees received from the States and the Federal Capital Territory and recommend them to the President for consideration and approval;
(v) To ensure balance in the distribution of Board members along the geo-political zones of the country; and
(vi) To advise Mr. President on any other matter(s) regarding the composition of the Boards that are incidental on the foregoing terms of reference.
© Copyright 2015 www.elombah.com
Send eyewitness accounts/reports/articles to firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on twitter handle @Elombah; Like our Facebook page: “Elombah.com”