Elombah
Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Buhari’s commitment questioned as Dasuki Trial is Postponed

95

dASUKI

The politically explosive trial of a top former official in Nigeria was adjourned on Friday, the UK Financial Times said this raises questions about the government’s anti-corruption drive.

In a packed courtroom in the capital on Friday, lawyers for former national security adviser Sambo Dasuki said their client’s continued detention was illegal because he was granted bail last month.

The legal team representing Mr Dasuki have not been allowed access to their client and have filed a motion to the court for the 19 fraud-related charges he faces in this trial — one of three — to be dismissed due to procedural violations. The judge adjourned the trial until February 4, saying “the matter cannot proceed today”.

Some activists and lawyers worry that any mishandling of the sensitive court case could jeopardise the credibility of President Muhammadu Buhari’s push to investigate former officials he alleges stole “mind-boggling sums” from state coffers under previous governments, the Financial Times Stated.

The government “needs to see to it that this becomes an important opportunity to build a legal process. We won’t systematically get rid of corruption otherwise,” says Clement Nwankwo, head of the Abuja-based Policy and Legal Advocacy Centre.

The People’s Democratic party, the former ruling party, calls the investigations a “witch hunt”, but the Minister of information and Culture, Lai Mohammed on Friday said 21 individuals and companies received a total of N54.659 billion from the former National Security Adviser, Col Sambo Dasuki (rtd) from the $2.1 billion meant for arms purchase.

Mr Dasuki, a retired army colonel and a long-time rival of the president, was not handcuffed in court and wore a grey kaftan and black hat. He denies all the charges.

Mr Buhari has pledged to recoup “mind-boggling” sums of money he alleges were looted on the watch of past leaders. Posters with his face and the words “if we don’t kill corruption, corruption will kill Nigeria” hang in the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, one of the agencies leading the new president’s drive.

Charges against Mr Dasuki and several associates allege the officials diverted funds for the fight against the Boko Haram insurgency to former President Goodluck Jonathan’s re-election campaign, among other alleged misuses of funds that amount to “criminal breaches of trust”, according to the charge sheet seen by the Financial Times.

A committee examining the deals has said a total of $2.1bn is under investigation. Last week the presidency ordered the EFCC to investigate another 38 former top military officers for arms procurement fraud.

All of the publicly announced probes to date involve defence spending with no declarations to date about examinations of how billions of dollars in state oil revenues in Africa’s top crude-producing nation went missing during Mr Jonathan’s administration.

The former national security adviser and arms deals “are only a piece of the puzzle in the larger picture of oil and all things coming from NNPC”, says Mr Nwankwo, referring to the state oil company.

“There are a number of cases that we are working on,” EFCC spokesman Wilson Uwajaren said, when asked if authorities were conducting any oil-related probes locally.

Former petroleum minister Diezani Alison-Madueke was arrested in London in October on suspicion of bribery and money laundering but was quickly released on bail. Sources familiar with the matter say that it may be months before a decision on whether Ms Alison-Madueke should face charges, given the scale and complexity of the investigation into billions of dollars in state oil revenues that disappeared from state coffers on her watch.

“Military cases are front and centre in the government’s anti-corruption drive at the moment. From the outside, it’s difficult to see whether they’re also mobilising to pursue oil sector cases, or if foreign authorities are taking the lead in this area,” says Alexandra Gillies, of the New York-based Natural Resource Governance Institute.

According to Lai Mohammed who spoke when he met with Online Publishers in Lagos, in continuation of his ongoing consultation with key stakeholders in the Information and Culture sector; “the amount received by 21 individuals and companies from ONSA is more than the 2015 Zonal Intervention Project budget by 2.829 billion Naira!

“Whereas the sum of 51.829 billion Naira was appropriated for 1,278 projects in the Zonal Intervention Projects for 2015, a total of 21 individuals and companies benefited from the Dasukigate to the tune of 54.659 billion Naira as we know so far.

“Furthermore, the value of what beneficiaries of Dasukigate contributed to development is zero, compared to how the lives of Nigerians would have been transformed, poverty reduced and livelihoods improved by the Zonal Intervention Projects which would have cost 2.829 billion Naira less than Dasukigate.


© Copyright 2020 ElombahNews.

DISCLAIMER : Opinion articles are solely the responsibility of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of the publishers of ElombahNews!
Would you like to be receiving ALL ElombahNews links ‘On The Go’ on WhatsApp Or Telegram? If yes, join us here on WhatsApp or Telegram, or provide us your Telephone number via publisher@elombah.com or sms/inbox +2349050382526 and you are good to go!
DOWNLOAD ElombahNews mobile app here
Send eyewitness accounts/ reports/ articles  to publisher@elombah.com; follow us on twitter @ElombahNews; like our Facebook page ElombahNews 

For adverts & inquiries, call +447460770987, +2349050382526

Comments are closed.