Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

CUPP spokesperson—Ugochinyere released by police

Security operatives have, late Monday, released the spokesperson of the Coalition of United Political Parties (CUPP), Ugochinyere Ikenga Imo.

Justice Musa Othman of the the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory in Bwari, Abuja, had, on Monday, ordered that the CUPP spokesperson be released unconditionally and with immediate effect.

Justice Othman had ordered the release of Ugochinyere Ikenga Imo, re-emphasized an earlier High Court order.

Justice Musa Othman ordered: “In the name of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, directing the 5th defendant (police) or any officer under his control or command to release the applicant, Ikenga Imo Ugochinyere forthwith and unconditionally from unlawful and illegal detention, a product of disobedience of a lawful and subsisting order of the court.”

The court also barred any lower Court from entertaining the matter.

Ugochinyere had approached the court trough his lawyer, Chibuzor Ezike via an ex parte motion seeking his unconditional release.

The CUPP Spokesman was arrested by security operatives on June 18, 2020.

Ikenga was arrested by the Police operatives at his residence in Abuja reportedly at the instance of Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila.

It was later gathered that he was detained at the police facility in Maitama, Abuja, as at the time of this report.

It could be recalled that the Federal High Court in Abuja, in a subsisting judgement on on June 4, barred the Police and the Department of State Services (DSS) from arresting Ikenga.

DSS operatives, however, ignored the order and arrested him.


He was arrested after accusing the leadership of the House of Representatives of collecting $10 million bribe.

He claimed the bribe came from American billionaire, Bill Gates, to push the infectious disease control bill.

Ugochinyere was later arraigned before a Magistrate’s Court in Abuja on four counts defamation of character of the Speaker.

He, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The court subsequently granted bail to him in the sum of N200,000 and adjourned trial till July 16.

Comments are closed.