EFCC chairman: Buhari violated EFCC Act on Bawa —Report
It is no longer news that President Muhammadu Buhari appointed 40 year old Abdulrasheed Bawa, a relation to the Attorney General and Minister for justice, Abubakar Malami, as the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
What is still news, however, is an underlying fact that President Buhari violated the very same laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria he swore to protect by appointing Bawa to head the anti-graft agency.
According to the EFCC Establishment Act, Section 2a (ii), the person to be appointed Chairman should amongst other things:
- “Be a serving or retired member of any security or law enforcement agency not below the rank of Assistant Commissioner of Police or equivalent”
Such equivalence in the EFCC is Grade Level 15.
Based on the foregoing, Bawa is not qualified to be the EFCC Chairman, unless he will be accorded some wuru-wuru promotions overnight.
Meanwhile, according to findings made available to ElombahNews, Bawa is on Grade Level 13!
Quick facts about the EFCC Chairman-designate:
- Abdulrasheed Bawa is 40 year old.
- He is a relation of the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister for justice, Malami.
- He was among the 2004/5 session recruited into EFCC.
- He has spent ONLY 16 years in the Commission.
- He is on grade level 13.
- Origin — Kebbi State
- Bawa Bachelor of Arts Degree in Economics,
- Masters Degree in International Affairs and Diplomacy
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
- Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS)
- United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- United States Financial Crime Enforcement Network (FINCEN)
- The World Bank
- The United Nations Office of Drug and Crimes The Nigeria Police Force
- The Nigeria State Security Services.
- The EFCC Academy
- United Kingdom’s Global Training Consulting.
- NOTABLE CASES:
- Supervising the biggest operations zonal office of the EFCC in Lagos having 604 officers and men and securing 227 convictions despite the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Supervising the investigation of all cases in Port Harcourt Zonal office in which an unprecedent 215 convictions were secured in eleven months and securing Final Forfeiture of hundreds of properties to the Federal Government.
- Supervising the investigation of all cases in the Ibadan Zonal office in which 113 were concluded and 54 are charged to court within 6 Month.
- Diezani Alison-Madueke-2015-Date: Recovered Millions of Dollars worth of properties in Nigeria, UK., USA, and UAE including 92 properties in Nigeria.
- Atlantic Energy Group-2014-2015: Recovered Millions of Dollars worth of properties in Nigeria, UK, USA, Switzerland, UAE and Canada.
- Crude Oil Swaps and OPA-2014-2015: Recovered Billions of Naira.
- Petroleum Subsidy Fraud-2012-2015: Identified Fraud of about N70 billion, Recovered Billions of Naira and Prosecuted several companies.
- Former Governor of Niger State, Dr. Muazu Babangida Aliyu
- “Operation Cyber Storm One”, across Nigeria in which over 60 Suspected Advance Fee Fraudsters and Cyber Crime Perpetrators are on prosecution- 2008
- Participated in several other Periodic Raid on Notorious (419) Cyber-cafés.
It is noteworthy that the EFCC Law is an Act of National Assembly.
The Senate must, therefore, not overrule itself by breaching a critical provision in the appointment of EFCC Chairman.
The lawmakers are expected to stand the truth on its feet and not assume the rubber stamp position during the screening of Abdulrasheed Bawa.
An analyst with ElombahNews said concerning the recommendation of appointment of Bawa:
“The Attorney General has violated the law and misled the President in sending an unqualified nomination to the Senate for confirmation in his bid to prepare ground to be the Governor of Kebbi State come 2023.
“Attorney General Malami has misled the president by nominating an unqualified EFCC chairman!”
© Copyright 2020 ElombahNews.
DISCLAIMER : Opinion articles are solely the responsibility of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of the publishers of ElombahNews!
Would you like to be receiving ALL ElombahNews links ‘On The Go’ on WhatsApp Or Telegram? If yes, join us here on WhatsApp or Telegram, or provide us your Telephone number via email@example.com or sms/inbox +2349050382526 and you are good to go!
DOWNLOAD ElombahNews mobile app here
Send eyewitness accounts/ reports/ articles to firstname.lastname@example.org; follow us on twitter @ElombahNews; like our Facebook page ElombahNews