Elombah
Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Gov Oshiomhole Insists N140b 2nd Niger Bridge Money Missing

169

Oshiomhole Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State is insisting that $700 million (N140 billion) released for the second Niger bridge remains missing as he previously alleged.

Governor Oshiomhole [image above] said this in a statement by his chief press secretary, Peter Okhiria insisting on an earlier statement that $700 million was drawn from the sovereign wealth funds for the project.

The loquacious governor, therefore, called on a former minister of work, Mike Onolememen, to explain to Nigerians the whereabouts of the said money he claimed was released for the yet to be executed second Niger bridge project.

“Rather than crucify Comrade Oshiomhole for the disclosure, former Minister of Works should direct his energy and explanation to the managers of the Sovereign Wealth Fund who have depleted the savings on the explanation that it was meant for the 2nd Niger Bridge,” the statement said.

Mr. Oshiomhole said, “The revelation came from those who were managers of the Sovereign Wealth Funds and not figures manufactured by anybody”.

“They told our committee that about $700m dollars were taken from the Sovereign Wealth Fund for the Second Niger Bridge project,” Mr. Oshiomhole said.

Mr. Onolememen had on Friday in a statement denied the allegation. He said Mr. Oshiomhole was misleading Nigerians with “wild and spurious” allegations.

The former minister said, “The Federal Government of Nigeria, guided by the Transaction Adviser, Roughton International, agreed to provide a refundable Catalytic Funding of N30bn. By May 2015, N10bn Catalytic Funding was paid from the Federal Ministry of Works’ SURE-P Budget to fast-track the early and sub-structural works of the bridge. This implies that the successful concessionaire, JB-NSIA Consortium, has responsibility for the design, finance and construction of the project, as well as its operation.”

He added that the total project cost is N108bn (excluding duties and Value Added Tax) with a completion period of about 48 months. This cost was arrived at, after the Bureau of Public Procurement’s review of the concessionaire’s submitted cost of N138bn, the former minister said.

However, Mr. Oshiomhole said since the former minister was aware that no reasonable work had been done on the second Niger Bridge, he and the mangers of the sovereign wealth funds should simply explain to Nigeria what they did with the huge amount that was withdrawn for the project.

“The real people who should apologize to Nigerians for their many sins against the country are those who expended so much of our resources without any corresponding achievements to show for it,” the governor said.

The governor accused the former minister and the past administration of destroying existing roads rather than rehabilitate them.

He said, “In Edo state, the Aduwawa end of the Benin-Auchi road is almost impassable especially during this rainy season. As we speak, erosion has cut off the Benin-Auchi road into two and motorists are going through hell passing through that road. What about Benin- Abraka road; one hell of a road completely abandoned and vandalized. In the name of politics, they came trying to impress Edo people but ended up depressing all of us.”

However an observer noted that the recent statement by Oshiomhole to the effect that the Second Niger Bridge has gulped N140 billion in consultancy services is misleading since, according to him, the facts prove otherwise. 

“How could a project whose total cost is put at N108 billion spend N140 billion in consultancy alone? He argued.

“Unfortunately, the statement has raised much dust and is capable of putting Nigeria in bad light. 

“By giving the erroneous impression that corruption has crept into the newly conceived mega bridge project, the international community, especially, willing investors in the project, could be scared away, which is not in our national interest,” he concluded.


© Copyright 2015 www.elombah.com

Send your reports/articles/eyewitness accounts to publisher@elombah.com

Follow us on twitter handle @Elombah; Like our Facebook page: “Elombah.com”


© Copyright 2020 ElombahNews.

DISCLAIMER : Opinion articles are solely the responsibility of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of the publishers of ElombahNews!
Would you like to be receiving ALL ElombahNews links ‘On The Go’ on WhatsApp Or Telegram? If yes, join us here on WhatsApp or Telegram, or provide us your Telephone number via publisher@elombah.com or sms/inbox +2349050382526 and you are good to go!
DOWNLOAD ElombahNews mobile app here
Send eyewitness accounts/ reports/ articles  to publisher@elombah.com; follow us on twitter @ElombahNews; like our Facebook page ElombahNews 

For adverts & inquiries, call +447460770987, +2349050382526

Comments are closed.