Today’s updates from the National Assembly:
Senate okays Muhammad Mamman Nami as FIRS chairman
The Senate has approved the nomination of the following nominees for appointment as Chairman and Members of the Board of the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS).
The Senate, sitting in the committee of the whole, a few minutes ago, confirmed the appointment of Muhammad Mamman Nami as the Executive Chairman and the others below:
The Bills seeking to establish the following tertiary institutions has been passed by the Senate:
1. Federal University of Gashua (Est, etc) Bill, 2019 (SB. 152)
2. Federal Polytechnic Orogun Delta State (Est, etc) Bill, 2019 (SB. 34)
3. Federal College of Education Illo (Est. etc) Bill, 2019 (SB. 6)
4. Federal University of Education Kontagora (Est, etc) Bill, 2019 (SB. 5)
5. Federal Polytechnic Daura Act (Amendment) Bill, 2019 (SB. 50)
6. Modibo Adama University of Technology (Est, etc) Bill, 2019 (SB. 51)
7. Federal University of Agriculture and Technology Funtua (Est, etc) Bill, 2019 (SB. 150)
The request of President Buhari to the confirm the following nominees for appointment as Chairman and Members of the National Assembly Service Commission (NASSCOM) has been referred to the Senate Committee on Establishment and Public Service Matters.
The report on the 2020 FCT Appropriation Bill was presented to the Senate. The same report was presented to the house of Reps by the House committee on FCT for approval of the sum of N278,355,365,947.00 for the FCT Administration.
The following Bills were introduced in the Senate for First Reading:
1. Physically Challenged (Empowerment) Bill, 2019 (HB.2)
2. Students Loan (Access to Higher Education) Bill, 2019 (HB. 6)
3. National Commission for the Prohibition of Small Arms and Light Weapons (Establishment etc.) Bill, 2019 (SB. 283)
4. Federal Colleges of Education Bill, 2019 (SB. 284)
5. Commodity and Grains Board (Est, etc) Bill, 2019 (SB. 285)
Other bills presented for first reading today at the house of Reps are:
1. Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun Act (Amendment) Bill, 2019 HB.613 – Hon. Anthony Afe Oberuakpefe
2. Secondary School Certificate Examinations Standard (Regulation) Bill, 2019 HB.614 – Hon. Abbas Tajudeen
3. Nigerian Legion Act (Amendment) Bill, 2019 HB.615 – Hon. Abbas Tajudeen
4. Tertiary Education Trust Fund Act (Amendment) Bill, 2019 HB.616 – Hon. Abbas Tajudeen
5. Pharmacists Council Act (Amendment) Bill, 2019 HB.617 – Hon. Abbas Tajudeen
6. Zonal Development Commission (Establishment) Bill, 2019 HB.618 – Hon. Uzoma Nkem-Abonta
7. Nigeria Road Infrastructure Intervention Bill, 2019 HB.619 – Hon. Anthony Afe Oberuakpefe
8. Pension Reform Act (Amendment) HB.620 – Hon. Shehu Barwa Beji
The request of President Buhari to confirm additional nominees for appointment as Members of the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCOM) has been referred to the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs for further legislative action.
The nominees are:
1. Dr. Bala Muhammad (Representative of Jama’atu Nasril Islam)
2. Mr. Yusuf Chinedozi Nwoha
(Representative of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs)
The Senate also confirmed the board of the Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria [AMCON].