It is no longer news that the 279 students of Government Secondary School in Jangebe, Zamfara State, abducted at the school premises have been released yesterday.
What remained a nightmare was the violence that ensued during the reunion ceremony which reportedly left one person dead.
The incident took place when a mob invaded the venue of the reunion and unleashed mayhem on those in attendance.
According to Arise News, three people were shot by security operatives with one of them confirmed dead while the other two were injured.
The incident occurred when locals attacked government officials, expressing outrage over their long speeches.
The government officials, who came late for the ceremony, were making long speeches instead of handing over the students to their parents who had been waited for several hours.
Not in the mood for further delays, the locals then invaded the school premises and disrupted the process.
Even journalists were not spared as the vehicles conveying them were also attacked, though none of them was hurt.
Those present at the event include the Zamfara State Education Commissioner, Mr. Ibrahim Abdullahi and representatives from the state government.
Meanwhile, the Zamfara State Governor, Bello Matawalle, has accused the watch-guard and gate-man of the Girls Secondary School in Jangede, Zamfara State, of complicity of the school girls’ abduction.
This was contained in a report published by ElombahNews earlier on Thursday.
Governor Matawalle alleged that the watchman of the school was involved in the abduction of the schoolgirls.
He also noted that members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the State were jubilating and celebrating the abduction of the girls.
Speaking on a live TV programme, Matawalle said:
“The children have mentioned that after releasing them, the bandits were telling them to greet the watchman for them.
“They even mentioned his name that he is the one who gave them the go-ahead to come, that he was involved.
“They have said it in front of the Commissioner of Police in Zamfara State.
“I assure Nigerians that investigation will be carried out and all people involved will be known.”
The governor also said that he not intimidated by President Muhammadu Buhari’s declaration of his state as a ‘no-fly zone’.
He pledged to resign as a governor if that will make the people sleep with their two eyes closed.
© Copyright 2020 ElombahNews.
DISCLAIMER : Opinion articles are solely the responsibility of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of the publishers of ElombahNews!
Would you like to be receiving ALL ElombahNews links ‘On The Go’ on WhatsApp Or Telegram? If yes, join us here on WhatsApp or Telegram, or provide us your Telephone number via email@example.com or sms/inbox +2349050382526 and you are good to go!
DOWNLOAD ElombahNews mobile app here
Send eyewitness accounts/ reports/ articles to firstname.lastname@example.org; follow us on twitter @ElombahNews; like our Facebook page ElombahNews