Cardless Withdrawal And Police Ignorance
You probably may have heard how a dude, Azeez Morofu, was manhandled by a mob at Ibadan and handed over to the police at Iyaganku Police Station. His offence? That he withdrew money from an ATM without a debit card. Yes, and wait… he was wearing a dirty pair of jean trousers!
The surprising twist to the incident was that the Police who should know, did not know that technology has made it now possible for an individual to choose either to use their debit card or not when making withdrawals.
The technology came into existence about two years ago or so, in the US when Wells Fargo Bank announced that customers could then withdraw money from ATM without using a debit card.
The new technology allowed smartphone-toting customers to withdraw money at all of its 13,000 ATMs without inserting their debit card. Customers then were required to input a code and their ATM PIN number to access ATM options.
Basically, cardless cash allows you to withdraw money from an ATM without using your debit card. Instead, you can opt to receive a unique code from your bank to your phone (either by text message or within your mobile banking app) that you can then use at an eligible ATM to verify your cash withdrawal.
The technology arrived in Nigeria much later in 2017, though it is still relatively unpopular.
As we move to join the rest of the world in the emerging technological dispensation, our police must also be educated so as to teach them not to embarrass themselves the next time someone makes a cardless withdrawal at an ATM point.
Now here’s how it works:
How To Setup Gtbank Cardless Withdrawal Using the Ussd Code
- Dial *737#
- Click the option that states cardless withdrawal.
- Enter the amount you want to withdraw, and click the OK button.
- Enter the last 4 digit of your GTbank ATM card.
- Dial *903# from your phone and select “Withdraw Money” option.
Select “ATM Withdrawal” option.
- Enter the Amount and validate the transaction with your PIN.
- You will receive a transaction code for successful withdrawal.
- Keep the code and visit any of our nearest ATM.
- Press ‘0’ to perform a cardless withdrawal.
- Dial *919*30*Amount and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Go to the nearest UBA branch and use the ATM.
- On the ATM screen, select “Paycode Cashout”
- Enter the amount then select OK.
- Your transaction will be verified and your cash dispensed.
I hope this article has helped you with additional knowledge. If so, use it for your good.