REMARKS BY HIS EXCELLENCY, PRESIDENT MUHAMMADU BUHARI
AT THE CEREMONY FOR THE EXECUTION OF INSTRUMENTS OF RATIFICATION FOR INTERNATIONAL AGREEMENTS BETWEEN THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA AND OTHER ENTITIES HELD AT THE STATE HOUSE, ABUJA ON THURSDAY, 24THAUGUST 2017.
I am delighted to perform today, the duty of executing Instruments of Ratification of certain Agreements on behalf of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, pursuant to the powers conferred on me by Section 5(1) (a) and (b) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended) and Article 7 of the Vienna Convention on the law of treaties of 1969.
2. Today’s ceremony marks a very important milestone in our demonstration of sovereign capacity to fulfill our international obligations and take important steps for the benefit of our economy, security and the anti-corruption war within and outside Nigeria.
3. The Agreements to be ratified today, are as follows:
i. Agreement on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters.
ii. Agreement on Mutual Legal Assistance in Civil and Commercial Matters.
iii. Agreement on the Transfer of Sentenced Persons.
iv. Extradition Treaty.
4. The full implementation of the Agreements has however, been delayed due to the need by both sides to conclude their respective ratification processes. I am happy to note therefore, that pursuant to a Memorandum presented to the Federal Executive Council by the Honourable Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Council has approved the ratification of the said Agreements, thus paving the way for today’s ceremony.
5. With this sovereign act, which has been replicated in the United Arab Emirates by their responsible authorities, we are now in a position to utilize these Agreements fully to foster cooperation between our respective authorities particularly for the purpose of prosecuting the anti-corruption campaign of this Government.
6. Similarly, other Instruments of Ratification slated for my execution today are as follows:
i. Charter for the Lake Chad Basin between Nigeria, Cameroun, Central African Republic, Libya, Niger and the Republic of Chad.
ii. African Tax Administration Forum Agreement on Mutual Assistance in Tax Matters.
iii. World Intellectual Property Organisation Performances and Phonograms Treaty.
iv. The World Intellectual Property Organization Treaty on Audio-Visual Performances.
v. Marrakesh Treaty to facilitate access to published works for persons who are blind, visually impaired or otherwise.
7. It is my hope that these Instruments which are signed today will reinvigorate the anti-corruption war and check the illicit flow of funds out of our country to other jurisdictions, improve national security, food security, boost our economic and tax regimes and improve the overall well-being of our creative community.
8. All agencies of Government with roles to play under the respective Treaties now ratified are hereby directed to ensure that they play their anticipated roles in an effective and responsible manner in order to ensure that we reap the full benefits of these Agreements.
9. I thank you all for your attention and may God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Would you like to be receiving ALL Elombah.com news links ‘On The Go’ on WhatsApp? If yes, please provide us your WhatsApp number via email@example.com or inbox +2349050382526 and you are ready to go!
© Copyright 2017 www.elombah.com; unless otherwise indicated, all images are courtesy of Twitter; send eyewitness accounts/reports/articles to firstname.lastname@example.org; follow us on twitter @Elombah; like our Facebook page: Elombah.com; join us on WhatsApp HERE
For advert placement call us on +447460770987, +2349050382526