Assign modules on offcanvas module position to make them visible in the sidebar.

Testimonials

Visit Elombah.com for breaking news from Nigeria

Visit Elombah.com for breaking news from Nigeria

Lagos Govt provided reasons behind the collapse of 3-storey building in Lagos, saying that the developers ignored STOP WORK order & continued work

The Lagos State Government has provided reasons behind the collapse of the three-storey building on Thursday in Lagos.

The Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Mr. Wasiu Anifowose gave the insight after a survey of the collapsed building.

Mr. Anifowose later issued a statement through the Chief Public Affairs Officer of his ministry, Mr Olubukonla Nwonah, of which Elombah.com is privy to.

Elombah.com reported on Thursday that several people were feared dead when an uncompleted building caved in Lagos.

The affected building, prior to the collapse, was located at 2/4, Richard Abimbola, Off Limca Road, Ire Akari Estate-Isolo, Lagos.

Meanwhile, about 13 people were rescued alive as at the time of publishing the report.

It was later discovered that three people were killed and 19 injured in the collapse which occurred around 2 pm.

Upon investigation, the Lagos State Government discovered that the developers ignored a STOP WORK order and continued construction.

According to the commissioner, the building was sealed off because LASBCA officials discovered that the materials on the site were substandard.

He also disclosed that the developers had no development permit to embark on the construction.

In fact, it was revealed that the tragedy would have been avoided if the developers had not decided to criminally unseal the STOP WORK order.

Speaking, the commissioner said the building was disapproved and sealed off by officials of the Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA).

However, the developers wittingly broke off the seal and continued working on the prohibited site.

He said: “This particular building had been monitored and sealed off. 

“Our officers had come back to monitor for compliance but they were prevented by hoodlums from carrying out their statutory responsibilities.

“Yesterday, before the collapse, our officials were there again but were chased back to the office to reinforce when this tragedy happened.

“We had actually served all the necessary statutory STOP WORK notices and this is evident in our records, that the building was sealed off.

“But this developer broke the seal twice and continued with the illegal development and this is the result of the illegality.

“Despite deploying officers to monitor development to prevent such ugly occurrences, some wicked, irresponsible and unscrupulous developers still carry out nefarious illegality,” he added.

Mr. Anifowose, therefore, warned developers against breaching the law or ignoring STOP WORK orders as far as buildings are concerned.

He said such acts are criminal and dangerous as is evident in the Isolo scenario.

Would you like to be receiving ALL Elombah.com news bulletins ‘On The Go’ on WhatsApp?  If yes, please provide us your WhatsApp number via This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or inbox +2349050382526 and you are ready to go!

© Copyright 2017 www.elombah.com; send eyewitness accounts/reports/articles to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.; follow us on twitter @Elombah; like our Facebook page: Elombah.com; join us on WhatsApp HERE

For advert placement call us on +447460770987, +2349050382526

Elombah Television

loading...