Assign modules on offcanvas module position to make them visible in the sidebar.

Testimonials

Visit Elombah.com for breaking news from Nigeria

Visit Elombah.com for breaking news from Nigeria

We are now worried at our feeling of deja vu. This is in contrast to our confidence when news of abducted schoolboys first broke. – BBOG to Osinbajo
Acting President Osinbajo and Governor Ambode

The frontline advocacy group, Bring Back Our Girls [BBOG] has slammed Acting President Yemi Osinbajo and Lagos State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode over the abducted Lagos schoolboys.

The boys, who were abducted from Lagos State Model College, Igbonla on May 24, have remained missing since over two months.

Six students were abducted from the school on the fateful day.

In an open letter to Acting President Osinbajo and Governor Ambode, BBOG said that they have lost confidence in both the federal and state governments, while the families accuse them of incompetence.

BBOG said: “We are now worried at our feeling of deja vu. This is in contrast to our confidence when news of their abduction first broke. 

“We had, based on two previous swift and successful rescue of other abducted school children by the Police and the Lagos State Government, believed that our six school boys would be back by now.

The letter was signed for and on behalf of #BringBackOurGirls by Aisha Yesufu and Obiageli (Oby) Ezekwesili and copied to the Inspector General of Police, Abubakar Kpotum Idris.

See the full content of BBOG’s letter to the governments below:

AN OPEN LETTER ON THE ABDUCTED LAGOS SCHOOLBOYS

We write to commiserate and engage with the Federal as well as Lagos State Governments on the tragic abduction of six students from the Lagos State Model College, Igbonla, Epe on Wednesday May 24, 2017. We have followed with intense interest any development on the rescue effort announced by Lagos State and the Nigerian Police since the unfortunate incident.

Sadly, 50 days after today, having only seen the worried parents publicly seeking information on government action for the rescue of their children, we are compelled to reach out to learn more from your two respective authorities.

As a civic movement that has advocated to the Federal Government to rescue our #ChibokGirls for 1,172 days today, who were similarly abducted from their secondary school in Borno on April 14, 2014 we are now worried at our feeling of deja vu. 

This is in contrast to our confidence when news of their abduction first broke. We had based on two previous swift and successful rescue of other abducted school children by the Police and the Lagos State Government believed that our six school boys would be back by now.

Regardless of the fact that rescue efforts have so far not yielded results, our Movement strongly believes that with a vigorous and sustained drive by the Federal and State authorities, the missing school children can be quickly found and brought back to their disconsolate parents

To this end, we would like to raise the two key demands:

We request for the latest update on the status of the rescue operation from the Federal and State Governments. We seek to know whether all options of rescue has been considered and if so, what the authorities consider are the challenges are to executing the options that can best guarantee their rescue. 

This way, our Movement can also help convey the right message to members of the public who keep reaching out to our Movement for such updates.

We advise and urge a review of the communication and feedback approach and better systems, channels and structures for closer and cooperative relationship between Government and the affected families. 

The spectacle of parents and families of the abducted boys crying out on the Streets for information does little to boost confidence in any ongoing efforts by the two levels of Governments. 

We therefore request that effective channels be immediately opened and maintained by the Lagos State Government and the Nigerian Police to manage communication and collaboration between the Government, Relatives and the Public.

We advise that the Federal and State Governments should collaborate to systematically assure the Nigerian public of safety of schools and school children all across the country. It is crucial that the public is well informed on the safety measures being taken to avoid repeat occurrences. 

We therefore suggest that this is moment of opportunity for the Federal Government to consider a major relaunch of the Safe School Initiative to massively pull in communities and the civil society.

While the Federal Government is making plans to relaunch the Safe Schools initiative as we have proposed in item 3 above, we suggest immediate adoption and implementation of key guidelines of the “Safe Schools Initiative” (2014) and “Safe Schools Declaration” (2015). 

These guidelines entail a combination of (i) school-based interventions; (ii) community interventions to protect schools; and (iii) special measures for at-risk populations. 

In addition, we propose the implementation of strategies and governance elements that concern the development of domestic policy and operational frameworks – such as the recently signed “Kidnapping Prohibition Bill 2016” – to promote the safety of Schools in Lagos State.

Utilize the Verification, Authentication and Reunification System (VARS) when abducted victims are rescued: As a movement, we have designed a global best practice system of Verifying, Authenticating and Reunifying abducted citizens when rescued. 

The VARS is a holistic approach to the Rehabilitation, Reintegration and Resettlement of victims of abduction. 

We are now worried at our feeling of deja vu. This is in contrast to our confidence when news of abducted schoolboys first broke. – BBOG to Osinbajo
Acting President Osinbajo and Governor Ambode

The frontline advocacy group, Bring Back Our Girls [BBOG] has slammed Acting President Yemi Osinbajo and Lagos State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode over the abducted Lagos schoolboys.

The boys, who were abducted from Lagos State Model College, Igbonla on May 24, have remained missing since over two months.

Six students were abducted from the school on the fateful day.

In an open letter to Acting President Osinbajo and Governor Ambode, BBOG said that they have lost confidence in both the federal and state governments, while the families accuse them of incompetence.

BBOG said: “We are now worried at our feeling of deja vu. This is in contrast to our confidence when news of their abduction first broke. 

“We had, based on two previous swift and successful rescue of other abducted school children by the Police and the Lagos State Government, believed that our six school boys would be back by now.

The letter was signed for and on behalf of #BringBackOurGirls by Aisha Yesufu and Obiageli (Oby) Ezekwesili and copied to the Inspector General of Police, Abubakar Kpotum Idris.

See the full content of BBOG’s letter to the governments below:

AN OPEN LETTER ON THE ABDUCTED LAGOS SCHOOLBOYS

We write to commiserate and engage with the Federal as well as Lagos State Governments on the tragic abduction of six students from the Lagos State Model College, Igbonla, Epe on Wednesday May 24, 2017. We have followed with intense interest any development on the rescue effort announced by Lagos State and the Nigerian Police since the unfortunate incident.

Sadly, 50 days after today, having only seen the worried parents publicly seeking information on government action for the rescue of their children, we are compelled to reach out to learn more from your two respective authorities.

As a civic movement that has advocated to the Federal Government to rescue our #ChibokGirls for 1,172 days today, who were similarly abducted from their secondary school in Borno on April 14, 2014 we are now worried at our feeling of deja vu. 

This is in contrast to our confidence when news of their abduction first broke. We had based on two previous swift and successful rescue of other abducted school children by the Police and the Lagos State Government believed that our six school boys would be back by now.

Regardless of the fact that rescue efforts have so far not yielded results, our Movement strongly believes that with a vigorous and sustained drive by the Federal and State authorities, the missing school children can be quickly found and brought back to their disconsolate parents

To this end, we would like to raise the two key demands:

We request for the latest update on the status of the rescue operation from the Federal and State Governments. We seek to know whether all options of rescue has been considered and if so, what the authorities consider are the challenges are to executing the options that can best guarantee their rescue. 

This way, our Movement can also help convey the right message to members of the public who keep reaching out to our Movement for such updates.

We advise and urge a review of the communication and feedback approach and better systems, channels and structures for closer and cooperative relationship between Government and the affected families. 

The spectacle of parents and families of the abducted boys crying out on the Streets for information does little to boost confidence in any ongoing efforts by the two levels of Governments. 

We therefore request that effective channels be immediately opened and maintained by the Lagos State Government and the Nigerian Police to manage communication and collaboration between the Government, Relatives and the Public.

We advise that the Federal and State Governments should collaborate to systematically assure the Nigerian public of safety of schools and school children all across the country. It is crucial that the public is well informed on the safety measures being taken to avoid repeat occurrences. 

We therefore suggest that this is moment of opportunity for the Federal Government to consider a major relaunch of the Safe School Initiative to massively pull in communities and the civil society.

While the Federal Government is making plans to relaunch the Safe Schools initiative as we have proposed in item 3 above, we suggest immediate adoption and implementation of key guidelines of the “Safe Schools Initiative” (2014) and “Safe Schools Declaration” (2015). 

These guidelines entail a combination of (i) school-based interventions; (ii) community interventions to protect schools; and (iii) special measures for at-risk populations. 

In addition, we propose the implementation of strategies and governance elements that concern the development of domestic policy and operational frameworks – such as the recently signed “Kidnapping Prohibition Bill 2016” – to promote the safety of Schools in Lagos State.

Utilize the Verification, Authentication and Reunification System (VARS) when abducted victims are rescued: As a movement, we have designed a global best practice system of Verifying, Authenticating and Reunifying abducted citizens when rescued. 

The VARS is a holistic approach to the Rehabilitation, Reintegration and Resettlement of victims of abduction. 

Competion

We request that a similar program be developed by the Lagos State Government to manage the processes within the critical period that immediately follows a rescue. Please find our VARS attached to this letter.

We hope that the Federal and State Governments appreciate that it is our strong concern for the unacceptable state of #EndangeredEducation in our country that compels us to demand swift action whenever our children are abducted from their schools. 

Our government authorities must take all the steps and measures necessary to show to our common enemies that the Nigerian state will never again allow our children to choose between safety and being alive. The most persuasive way to achieve this is to take actions that would result in immediate and safe recovery of the 6 students of the Lagos State Model College, Igbonla, Epe.

We look forward to receiving the response to our letter from the two authorities to enable our Movement support the efforts for successful resolution of this tragedy.” [Ends]

Before the incident, the kidnappers had written to the school, informing the authorities of their plan to kidnap its students.

The school management promptly notified the Nigerian Police, which sent its men to take strategic positions around the school.

The Police, however, were overwhelmed by the number of militants, who were believed to be Niger Delta militants, and the sophistication of their weapons.

Some kidnappers had, earlier last October, attacked the same school seizing 4 students and 2 members of staff, including a Vice Principal.

With the latest outburst from BBOG, Nigerians wonder whether we will expect a second episode of #BringBackOurGirls.

--

Would you like to be receiving ALL Elombah.com news links ‘On The Go’ on WhatsApp?  If yes, please provide us your WhatsApp number via This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or inbox +2349050382526 and you are ready to go!

© Copyright 2017 www.elombah.com; unless otherwise indicated, all images are courtesy of Twitter; send eyewitness accounts/reports/articles to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.; follow us on twitter @Elombah; like our Facebook page: Elombah.com; join us on WhatsApp HERE

For advert placement call us on +447460770987, +2349050382526

Elombah TV

loading...