There is a deafening disquiet in the camp of the All Progressives Congress [APC] as its candidate for the forthcoming Kogi State governorship election, Alhaji Yahaya Bello has been indicted in electoral fraud.
The candidate of the Social Democratic Party [SDP], Ms. Natasha Akpoti, through her lawyer, Mike Ozekhome, SAN, accused Yahaya Bello of double registration.
According to Ms. Akpoti, by his willful act of making double registration as a voter, Alhaji Bello is not a fit and proper person to be allowed by the Independent National Electoral Commission [INEC] to vote or be voted for in the forthcoming Kogi election.
The particulars of fraud as presented in the suit, state:
- That Mr. Yahaya Bello, the candidate of the 1st Defendant, was initially registered as a voter sometime in 2011, in Abuja, by the 2nd Defendant.
- That Mr. Yahaya Bello, the candidate of the 1st Defendant again fraudulently procured from the 2nd Defendant, a second registration as a voter on 23rd May, 2017, at Government House, Lokoja, while his 2011 first registration as a voter in Abuja was still live, extant and subsisting.
- That the said Yahaya Bello, the candidate of the 1st Defendant carried out the double registration with the 2nd Defendant so as to scuttle due electoral process.
- That such a person is not a fit and proper person to vote for in any election, let alone for the high office of the Governor of a state.
The Summons was taken out by Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN with address, Mike Ozekhome’s Chambers, Ukwe Court, Plo 2215 Cadastral Zone, Nile Street, Opposite Maitama Polio Station, Maitama Abuja.
Ms. Akpoti, therefore, sought the following reliefs:
- A declaration by this honourable court that Yahaya Bello, the 1st defendant’s candidate, in the forthcoming Kogi State governorship elections has by virtue of his act of double registration as a voter violated the provisions of section 24(e) of the electoral act, 2010, as amended.
- A declaration that Yahaya Bello, the candidate of the 1st defendant is liable to be disqualified and/or barred from contesting, participating and/or voting in the forthcoming Kogi State governorship election being organised by the 2nd defendant on account of his wrongful act of gross violation of section 24 (e) of the electoral act, 2010, as amended, which act of violation robs him of the capacity or vires to contest the forthcoming Kogi State governorship election.
- An order by this honourable court disqualifying and/or barring, or ordering the 2″ defendant to disqualify and/or bar Yahaya Bello, the candidate of the 1st defendant in the forthcoming Kogi gubernatorial election from contesting and /or vying for the forthcoming Kogi State governorship elections or for any political office for the next 10 years, pursuant to his violation of the provisions of section 24(e) of the electoral act, 2010, as amended.
See attached the following documents: