- We’re not fighting Boko Haram with inferior weapons
- Obasanjo wrong on Chibok schoolgirls
The military has denied the claim by Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed that troops combating Boko Haram insurgents in the North-East were doing so with substandard weapons purchased by the Jonathan administration.
This is even as 58 people were killed and another 78 injured when two female bombers detonated their suicide vests, according to emergency relief officials. The victims were in a camp for people who had been displaced by Boko Haram violence in Nigeria’s Borno State.
Military authorities said hopes of rescuing the Chibok schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram about two years ago in Borno State have not dimmed, contradicting former President Olusegun Obasanjo who said last weekend that anyone still assuring the nation that the girls would be rescued was a liar.
Speaking on Africa Independent Television (AIT), Director of Defence Information, Brig.-Gen. Rabe Abubakar, dismissed reports that soldiers fighting Boko Haram were poorly equipped. “What I know is that we are using equipment which is okay for us. We have been achieving results. What I know is that we have equipment that can take us to where we are going…However, you cannot say you have everything you need for your operations. Even the developed nations’ Armed Forces lack one thing or the other,” Abubakar said.
Jonathan had insisted that President Muhammadu Buhari was fighting insurgents with the weapons his administration bought. But Mohammed dismissed the claim in a statement, saying the successes recorded by the present government could not be attributed to the substandard weapons allegedly procured by Jonathan.
Meanwhile, Gen. Abubakar has also assured that efforts being made to rescue the abducted Chibok schoolgirls would not be in vain. He said: “In the course of our operations, a lot of persons who hitherto we didn’t know, were rescued by the Armed Forces. So, fundamentally, what I’m saying is that inasmuch as our effort is still on going by the level of momentum we are putting in now, we are hopeful.
“I believe rescuing the Chibok girls is one of the targets that we set for ourselves. And I believe that with what we have done and what we are set to do, we will rescue any captive with the insurgents, not only the Chibok girls … We are extremely searching for not only the Chibok girls, but any other captive. It is just a matter of time,” he said.
Obasanjo, who was the guest speaker at the seventh Osun Interactive Session organised by the Staff Club of Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife last Friday, doubted the possibility of rescuing the abducted schoolgirls alive.
He said while some of the schoolgirls had been killed for refusing to convert to Islam, others had been trafficked.
“Today, if anybody tells you he will bring back the Chibok schoolgirls, it is a lie. Buhari has even said that he does not have any information about the Chibok girls, except those who escaped and some of them have been rehabilitated….Some of them were sold and maybe in 10, 20, 30 years, we will come back and we will hear some of their stories. But if anybody tells you he will bring back the Chibok girls, it is a lie,” Obasanjo said.
Meanwhile a camp that was supposed to be a shelter from terrorism and violence instead became an instant death zone for dozens in Nigeria this week.
As horrendous as the attack was, it could have been worse. One of the bombers backed out at the last minute.
“There were three female bombers who entered the camp around 6:30 a.m. (local time) disguised as displaced persons. Two of them set off their explosives in the camp while the third refused after realizing her parents and siblings were in the camp,” said Satomi Alhaji Ahmed, head of the Borno State Emergency Management Agency.
The bombers struck Tuesday at the camp in the town of Dikwa, Ahmed said. Dikwa is in northeastern Nigeria, near the border with Cameroon.
More than 53,000 people fleeing Boko Haram attacks from six districts are sheltering under military protection.
DISCLAIMER : Opinion articles are solely the responsibility of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of the publishers of ElombahNews!
Would you like to be receiving ALL ElombahNews links ‘On The Go’ on WhatsApp Or Telegram? If yes, join us here on WhatsApp or Telegram, or provide us your Telephone number via firstname.lastname@example.org or sms/inbox +2349050382526 and you are good to go!
DOWNLOAD ElombahNews mobile app here
Send eyewitness accounts/ reports/ articles to email@example.com; follow us on twitter @ElombahNews; like our Facebook page ElombahNews