LEAH SHARIBU COURAGE AWARD Announced, McCain Nominated
The US NIGERIA LAW GROUP on this International Day of the Girl is introducing a “Voices of Indomitable Courage Award” eponymous with the heroine captive schoolgirl Leah Sharibu.
15 year old Leah Sharibu who has been held hostage for 234 days today is named the International Girl of the Year 2018 for the following reasons:
- while others fled a terror attack on her school, Leah refused to abandon her sick classmate whom she was tending to and was consequently captured
- surrounded by armed terrorist killers in an evil forest island, Leah refused to renounce her Christian faith
- Even though she knew as a Christian she was at greater risk, Leah led two of her Muslim classmates in a daring escape from the terrorist enclave that lasted 3 days until she was betrayed by Herdsmen and returned to her Boko Haram captors
- Due to her refusal to convert to Islam Leah was separated from her classmates and kept with hostage aid workers one of whom was subsequently executed
- she was offered an opportunity to leave the terror island along with her Muslim classmates if she renounced her faith but Leah declined
- she was asked to make a proof of life plea for herself but Leah went ahead to ask the world to look after her family
- Leah is a star student academically and a talented individual who acted in plays and choreography for the benefit of her Dapchi community
- Today Leah has touched the world with her tenacity, principle and courage that defied the worst evil on the planet
- Leah achieved all this at age 14 and only turned 15 in the terrorist’s enclave.
For these and more reasons, Leah Sharibu is declared the International Girl of 2018!
Inaugural nominees for the maiden voices of indomitable courage & example L.E.A.H. AWARD —Legendary & Exemplary Acts of Heroism
The L.E.A.H INDOMITABLE COURAGE award goes to individuals who have shown LEGENDARY & EXEMPLARY ACTS OF HEROISM at great personal risk or price against overwhelming odds. Simple acts of defiance, speaking truth to power, self-denial or going against popular opinion are amongst the kinds of acts recognized by this award. The inaugural award has the following nominees:
- Late US Senator John McCain is nominated for his principled outspokenness and his willingness to be impolitic for the sake of truth.
Like Leah, Senator McCain refused early release from prison captivity on principle. More recently he flew from hospital to the congress to cast a crucial vote while calling out his colleagues.
- US Senator Flake also Republican from Arizona like Sen. McCain showed incredible courage when he spoke truth to power and to the nation in announcing his pending resignation despite being part of the ruling party.
More recently, Sen Flake took a stand for an investigation into the allegations against Supreme Court nominee, Judge Kavanaugh, in a move that was necessary and timely.
- Nigerian Congresswoman Representative Boma Goodhead reportedly has been arrested by high-handed security forces in her ravaged oil-producing Niger Delta communities before she was in the National Assembly.
More recently, she stared down the barrels of guns by masked secret police operatives who besieged and blockaded the national Legislature’s offices. During the illegal invasion, Rep Goodhead in a Tianenman Square moment dared the gunmen to shoot her.
The head of State Security was fired that day, following this attempted Legislative coup by a cabal within the presidency, restoring sanity in a beleaguered nation.
- Chadian Minister for Postal Services Mdm Madeline Alinguie made waves when during her swearing in as minister she chose to swear in the name of “God.”
After being remonstrated twice by the head of the Supreme Court to only swear by the name of “Allah”, Madam Alinguie chose rather to step down from her cabinet position than to do so.
Ultimately a decision was made to allow Alinguie, a Christian, not to swear an Islamic oath.
The final awards for:
- AMERICA – Legendary and Exemplary Acts of Heroism through Speaking Truth to Power & Self-Sacrifice jointly go to both US Republican Senators Flake & McCain (posthumously)
- AFRICA 1 – Legendary and Exemplary Acts of Heroism in Defending Democracy & Defying Danger through Personal Bravery goes to Nigerian Rep Boma Goodhead
- AFRICA 2 – Legendary and Exemplary Acts of Heroism for Freedom of Religion through Self-Sacrifice goes to Chadian Minister Madeline Alinguie
Runners Up and Honorable Mentions
Also considered for these awards were:
- Bako Waziri Kyari, an IDP, for exposing alleged corruption and cover ups related to Nigerian President’s Chief of Staff who is a relative.
Due to the personal nature of the financial transaction, this did not qualify in terms of broader public interest.
- Amasa Fidaus a Nigerian Law student who insisted on wearing a hijab to her bar admission ceremony and was delayed for it. Due to the personal style preference without a broader public interest issue at stake, it did not meet the threshold.
- Deputy Superintendent of Police Tijanni Bulama who pursued the corruption allegations against the President’s Chief of Staff and was imprisoned for it. Since he was fulfilling his duty, it did not meet the threshold.
- Dr Oby Ezekwesili, former World Bank Vice President now consistent activist for captive schoolgirls, policewomen, professors and victims of terrorism has been subjected to police harassment and arrest.
However due to her just announced political office bid, the recognition has been put in abeyance for this year.
We congratulate our honorees for their modest personal steps which had a greater effect on many. Leah had only her voice and her choice. She chose her faith and not fear and that has reverberated from an evil forest to the ends of the earth.
Managing Partner, US Nigeria Law Group, Washington USA
Video of Courage in Self-Sacrifice and Truth to Power LEAH Joint-Awardee Sen John McCain (Posthumous) USA
Video of Courage in Self-Sacrifice and Truth to Power LEAH Joint-Awardee Sen Jeff Flake USA
PICTURE OF THE WEEK:Female congresswoman Boma Goodhead stares down masked men – face to face with the barrel of a gun – in Nigeria. Profiles in Courage and Outrage!
Photo/video of Courage in Defense of Democracy & Defiance of Danger LEAH Awardee Rep Boma Goodhead NIGERIA
Video of Courage in Self-Sacrifice for Freedom of Religion LEAH Awardee Madam Madeline Alinguie CHAD