It’s a new legislative day in the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Senate Leader, Ali Ndume leads the Senate into the presentation of bills:
Senator Monsurat Sunmonu moves for the adoption of votes and proceedings of 5th October, 2016 and Senator Sam Anyanwu seconds.
Senate President, Bukola Saraki takes the opening prayers, while the chief whip, Senator Adeyeye calls for orderliness.
The Senate President, Bukola Saraki leads the Senate leadership into plenary.
Welcome to a new legislative day of the Senate of the federal republic of Nigeria and the last for the week.
Senator Jeremiah Useni presents a Petition from his constituent over unlawful dismissal. The petition is referred to Ethics PPP Committee.
1. Price Control Act CAP P28 LFN 2004 (Amendment) Bill 2016 (HB. 264) – First Reading
2. Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (Establishment) Bill 2016 (HB. 160) – First Reading
3. Chartered Institute of Local Government and Public Administration (Establishment) Bill 2016 (HB. 108) – First Reading
4. Mortgage Institutions Act CAP M19 LFN 2004 (Amendment) Bill 2016 (HB.253) – By Senate Leader
5. Oaths Act CAP O1 LFN 2004 (Amendment) Bill 2016 (HB. 169) By Senate Leader
Senate Leader now moves into the presentation of reports.
1. The report of the Committee on Niger Delta on screening & nomination of the Chairman and Members of the NDDC laid by Sen. Peter Nwaoboshi
2. Report of the Committee on Judiciary, Human Rights & Legal Matters on screening of nominees as Justices of the S’Court by Sen. David Umaru
3. Report of the Ethics PPP Committee in respect of a petition from Uche Ugoagwu Esq. On behalf of Bar. Uche Pascal Obilor and Mrs Obilor against Abuja Geographic Information System (AGIS) FCT Administration over alleged Double Allocation of plot No. 2022 by Sen Sam Anyanwu.
Report of the Committee on Establishment & Public Service &Appropriation by Sen. Emmanuel Paulker was stood down for another legislative day
5. Report of the Ethics PPP Committee in respect of a petition from Mohammed Yamah & Co. On behalf of Nine Communities of the Niger Delta against the Federal Republic of Nigeria and ministry of Niger Delta Affairs for Non-payment of Compensation for lands compulsorily acquired laid by Senator Sam Anyanwu.
Senate Leader moves that the Senate consider request of President Muhammadu Buhari on the confirmation of Nominees into board of Nigeria Communication Commission [NCC].
And the minority leader seconds the executive communication.
Senate now moves to the concurrence to House resolution.
The Nominees are:
1. Sen. Olabiyi Durojaiye, Chairman South West
2. Sunday Dare Executive Commissioner (Stakeholders Management) South West
3. Aliyu Saida Abubakar Non-Executive Commissioner North East.
4. Clement Omeize Baiye Non – Executive Commissioner North Central.
5.Chief Okoi Ofem Obono Obla Non- Executive Commissioner South South.
6. Pastor Ezekiel Yissa Non – Executive Commissioner North Central.
7. Senator Ifeanyi Ararume Non-Executive Commissioner South East.
Senate now moves to concur with the House of Representatives Resolution passed on Thursday 22nd September, 2016, to wit:
The Senate concurs with the report of the House of representatives to invite the Nigerian President Buhari to address a joint session of the National Assembly.
…to intimate it on plans to get the country out of the recession to enable the House take further legislative Action.
Senate now moves for the consideration of reports for third reading:
1. Report of the Joint Committee on Science and Technology and Defence Space Agency (Establishment, etc) Bill, 2016. (SB. 166) by Senator Boroffice (Ondo North).
The Senate Just concurred with House of Representative to invite President Muhammadu Buhari to appear before it.
Senate now reverts back to plenary to report progress.
Senate passes Defence Space Agency (Establishment, etc) Bill , 2016 for Third Reading.
2. Next is a Report of the Committee on Agriculture and Rural Development Agricultural Credit Guarantee Scheme Act (Amendment) Bill, 2016 (SB. 17) . By Sen. Abdullahi Adamu (Nassarawa West)
Senator Abdullahi Adamu explains the importance of the Agricultural Credit Scheme.
Senate President, Bukola Saraki questions some of the provisions contained in the bill.
Senate President, Bukola Saraki asks for further clarification on how small scale farmers can access credit facilities.