Nigeria army denies Boko Haram attack on soldiers
@HQNigerianArmy: This report is misleading same time blown out of proportion, thus NOT TRUE. There was an attempt by BH to cart away troops operational vehicles which was successfully repelled by our gallant troops. About 22 members of terrorists were killed, others escaped with gunshot wounds.
In the statement the Nigeria Defence Headquarters stated as follows:
1. The attention of the Nigerian Army has been drawn to news making the round alleging attack on soldiers and capturing of military vehicles by Boko Haram in Bama Local Government Area of Borno State.
2. The Nigerian Army wishes to state categorically that the report is not only untrue but misleading as the said report is blown out of proportion by the media.
3. Contrary to the report, the Nigerian Army wishes to put the record straight on the issue and assure members of the public particularly residents of the North East to disregard the report as their safety is guaranteed.
4. The Nigeria Army wishes to state that there was an attempted attack on troops at Kwakwa and Chingori communities in Bama area of Borno State by suspected Boko Haram Terrorists as a result of difficult terrain where our vehicles bugged down. The terrorists also attempted to cart away troops operational vehicles, but were successfully repelled by our gallant troops with the support of the Nigerian Air Force.
5. About 22 members of Boko Haram terrorists were neutralised while several others escaped with gunshot wounds. Efforts are being intensified by the troops to get the fleeing members of the Boko Haram terrorists.
6. Unfortunately, one officer and a soldier sustained injuries and are currently receiving medical attention at the military medical facility.
7. While the Nigerian Army would not join issues with the media, certain facts must be reported with caution particularly now that numerous successes have been recorded by the troops in the fight against insurgency.
8. Members of the public are hereby advised to disregard the report and go about their legitimate businesses as the Nigerian Army is on top of the situation.
Director Army Public Relations