Elombah
Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Nigeria army denies Boko Haram attack on soldiers

The Nigerian military has denied reports that soldiers are missing after Boko Haram Islamist militants attacked a military base over the weekend.
An army spokesman said in a series of tweets that the reports had been blown out of proportion:
 @HQNigerianArmy: This report is misleading same time blown out of proportion, thus NOT TRUE. There was an attempt by BH to cart away troops operational vehicles which was successfully repelled by our gallant troops. About 22 members of terrorists were killed, others escaped with gunshot wounds.
Elombah News had reported that Boko Haram overran Nigeria military base on Saturday evening at a base in Yobe State, in a second attack in days, with at least 23 soldiers missing.
Ours sources stated that a convoy of vehicles painted in military colours drove into the base, close to the border with Niger and after a firefight, hundreds of soldiers fled.
But in a press release made available to Elombah news and signed by Brigadier General Texas Chukwu, Director Army Public Relations denied the attack,

In the statement the Nigeria Defence Headquarters stated as follows:

1. The attention of the Nigerian Army has been drawn to news making the round alleging attack on soldiers and capturing of military vehicles by Boko Haram in Bama Local Government Area of Borno State.

2. The Nigerian Army wishes to state categorically that the report is not only untrue but misleading as the said report is blown out of proportion by the media.

3. Contrary to the report, the Nigerian Army wishes to put the record straight on the issue and assure members of the public particularly residents of the North East to disregard the report as their safety is guaranteed.

4. The Nigeria Army wishes to state that there was an attempted attack on troops at Kwakwa and Chingori communities in Bama area of Borno State by suspected Boko Haram Terrorists as a result of difficult terrain where our vehicles bugged down. The terrorists also attempted to cart away troops operational vehicles, but were successfully repelled by our gallant troops with the support of the Nigerian Air Force.

5. About 22 members of Boko Haram terrorists were neutralised while several others escaped with gunshot wounds. Efforts are being intensified by the troops to get the fleeing members of the Boko Haram terrorists.
6. Unfortunately, one officer and a soldier sustained injuries and are currently receiving medical attention at the military medical facility.

7. While the Nigerian Army would not join issues with the media, certain facts must be reported with caution particularly now that numerous successes have been recorded by the troops in the fight against insurgency.

8. Members of the public are hereby advised to disregard the report and go about their legitimate businesses as the Nigerian Army is on top of the situation.

TEXAS CHUKWU
Brigadier General
Director Army Public Relations

Comments are closed.