Elombah
Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

No order restraining further demolition of Ile Arugbo ― Kwara govt

Kwara State government has said that it was served with a writ of summons on Tuesday, and not that of an order restraining it from taking further action on the disputed land on which “ile-Arugbo” was demolished.

Speaking with journalists in Ilorin on Tuesday, the state Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Ayinla Jawondo, however, said that though it technically meant that the state government has not been restrained but “as a government that believes in the rule of law, we have decided to stop further action on the matter until the final decision of the court.”

Jawondo also said that the injunction granted would expire after seven days, adding that by the time the case is argued in the court the injunction would be withdrawn.

Jawondo said the case would come up for hearing on January 15, 2020.

He also said that the intention of the state government was to demolish and construct the state secretariat on the expansive land as planned.

Since we have not been served the court order, it could mean that we have not been restrained, but the issue is that even before they got the order of interim of the injunction, on our own we have stayed actions on it.

“Our decision was taken since last week Friday when they brought the advance copy of what was brought today which is official.

“This is because we want to follow the rule of law, so whether they served us this order or not we have stopped further action as a government that believes in the rule of law.”

Comments are closed.