Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Ozubulu Killings: Native Doctor Arrested Over Cannibalism

IGP special team storm Community Police allege suspect died in detention, body at NAUTH mortuary


Heartbroken father of a brutal murder victim – Nneka Ufondu, female, 25, of Eziora village Ozubulu, the headquarters of Ekwusigo Local Government Area of Anambra state, Mr Emeka Ufondu, 47, has raised alarm over the threats his family has been subjected to for crying out over the circumstances of his daughter’s death.

According to him, this round of murders which were uncovered March/April 2017 in the community involves a native Doctor (names withheld) who has lived and carried out his activities in Ozubulu for years.

The suspect, said to hail from Anam in Omambala area of the state, also accused of cannibalism, was arrested March/April 2017 following an alarm by some hunters who stumbled on him inside the bush while allegedly roasting the remains of the missing Nneka Ufondu.

Recovered from him were her two hands, two legs and head that made it possible for a positive identification of the deceased.

These parts were then packed into an empty plastic bucket by the police on arrival and have since remained deposited at the Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital Nnewi while investigation progressed.

Curiously, Ufondu disclosed that the suspect was an operative of the state’s local vigilante in the community which he believed was part of why the investigation has suffered so many set back as some big wigs in the community, state and within the police command were blocking the progress.

Mr Ufondu who has out of frustration returned to his previous job in Lagos said he was completely wrecked and devastated financially and mentally by the harrowing trauma of his daughter’s violent death.

He confirmed he was given a renewed hope with the arrival of a special team of homicide detectives from the office of the Inspector General of Police – Abubakar Idris Kpotum – at the weekend who interrogated and took statement from him.

He said until now, he has spent so much shuttling from one police station to another trying to obtain justice for his late first child, that four of his children dropped out of school for lack of funds.

That two of them stopped attending their primary education while the other two also dropped from secondary schools.

A distraught father who spoke amidst tears lamented that the suspected could not disclose what he did with all the other unaccounted parts of his daughter’s remains.

That the recovered parts were reportedly displayed as if they were on sale, while some were found to have been fried for either preservation or for food.

The sad incident, Mr Ufondu disclosed, happened just three months after the daughter got married and to his chagrin, not much help was coming from close family and village members as they were all very afraid of being arrested, especially when the police went on indiscriminate arrest of natives.

But he felt it was his cross to bear and hence had to stand his ground to seek justice for the memory of his darling daughter, at least if that would bring the serial spill of blood of the innocent within the community to an end.

He bemoaned that this struggle was in progress when the mass murder of August 2017 came and overshadowed it.

He however fingered some prominent persons (names withheld) in the community in the series of these killings.

He commended the untiring efforts of one Mr Kenel Ernest, a native of the community, for his positive disposition towards seeing that the ugly trend was brought to an end as soon as possible.

Ufondu called on every citizen and law enforcement agencies, especially the office of the IGP to seek out the truth because “ideally none natives of communities were never recruited in community vigilantes, but it appears the case was different in Ozubulu.

The main suspect in this matter was alleged by the police to have died in detention and remains allegedly deposited at the Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital.

That police also refused to tell him what the man said about how, why and when he killed his daughter.

He also want to ascertain how he “died” without saying all he know and those who he worked for.

He want the police high command to get from all the officers at the Divisional police headquarters in Ozubulu what led to his death, the death certificate and the autopsy report.

That until these information were made public, such could still happen again.

The inquiries from the state police headquarters were still being expected as the Commissioner, Mr Garba Umar, was said to be on a state-wide tour of traditional rulers in the state.

From Chuks Collins, Awka

Comments are closed.