Inspector General of Police Solomon Arase [pictured above] has said that two people had been arrested on suspicion of masterminding the Abuja Bomb blasts.
IGP Arase made the disclosure on Tuesday in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory [FCT].
The suspects’ identities were not disclosed but Arase said in a statement the arrests had “foiled another attempt… to undertake further attacks in the FCT”.
Items recovered from the suspects included 12 “prepared and primed” home-made explosives concealed in soft drink cans, 28 electronic detonator parts and a “large quantity” of bomb-making equipment, he added.
Boko Haram claimed responsibility for three suicide attacks in the satellite towns of Kuje and Nyanya outside Nigeria’s capital Abuja on October 2, which killed a total of 18 people and injured 41.
Nigeria’s military has claimed a series of successes in recent months and has characterised the upsurge in attacks on civilian targets as desperation grows on the part of the Islamic State group-allied militants.
Attacks have also continued across the border. At the weekend, 41 people were killed and another 48 injured in triple explosions in Baga Sola, on the Chadian side of Lake Chad, where Nigeria meets Niger, Chad and Cameroon.
One targeted a fish market and two a refugee camp for those displaced by the violence.
© Copyright 2015 www.elombah.com
Send eyewitness accounts/reports/articles to email@example.com
Follow us on twitter handle @Elombah; Like our Facebook page: “Elombah.com”