Russian President Vladimir Putin has expressed outrage over the explosion that took place on Monday at the St Petersburg’s metro system on Monday that saw the death of at least 10 persons.
President Putin said that the government was considering all possible causes for the blasts in the metro including terrorism.
The outraged president said that he has already spoken to heads of security services and that they are trying to establish cause of the incident.
Putin was in St. Petersburg for a meeting with Belarussian leader Alexander Lukashenko when the blast shook the Russian second largest city.
Elombah.com had earlier, citing Reuters, reported that at least 10 people were killed in explosions in two train carriages at metro stations in St. Petersburg.
Following the tragic accident, Ploshchad metro station and three other stations have been closed, according to local media
Injured persons were seen lying bleeding on a platform, while some were being treated by emergency services.
Others ran away from the platform amid clouds of smoke.
The deadly explosion in St. Petersburg metro in Russia on Monday has attracted condolences from leaders in the Western world.
Secretary General of the Council of Europe Thorbjorn Jagland expressed condolences to Russians over the explosion which killed 10 persons.
“I am shocked and saddened by the news of deadly blasts in St Petersburg. I extend my sincere condolences to our member state Russia,” Jagland wrote on his Twitter page.
Belgian Foreign Minister Didier Reynders offered condolences to the families of the victims.
“I express my condolences to the families of the victims and I think of all the wounded in the explosion in St. Petersburg,” he wrote on Twitter.
Foreign ministers of 28 EU member-states at the meeting of the Council of the European Union are following the news, EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini said.
“Following the news coming from Saint Petersburg, together with all EU Foreign ministers, our thoughts are with all people of Russia,” she wrote on her Twitter page.
President of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) Pedro Agramunt also said on Twitter: “Devastated by news from St. Petersburg, even more so as I was there last week.
“Terrible tragedy. My thoughts with the victims & those injured.”
German government spokesman Steffen Seibert wrote on Twitter: “We are receiving terrible news from St. Petersburg. We express condolences to all the victims and their families.”
The United States’ embassy in Russia conveyed its condolences to the families and friends of those killed in the St. Petersburg metro blast, the embassy’s spokesperson Maria Olson said.
“Shocked and saddened by explosions in St. Pete and the resulting deaths and injuries. Our hearts go out to victims and families,” she wrote on Twitter, TASS reports.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has expressed his condolences to Russian leader Vladimir Putin over a blast in the St. Petersburg metro system.
“I also want to express my condolences to you and convey my condolences to the relatives [of those killed and injured in the metro blast], to St. Petersburg residents who are reacting very painfully and acutely to such things,” the Belarusian president said at the beginning of a meeting with Russian President Putin.
Meanwhile, private transport companies are offering free transportations services to people in St. Petersburg after a blast in the city’s metro.
“Private companies are contacting us as they want to offer their assistance and free services,” the spokesman of the transport companies, said, adding that the city’s metro is closed after the explosion.
“We are in contact with those willing to help,” he said. In his words, all other means of transport operate in regular mode.