Former world No.1 Rafael Nadal made the decision after the results of a recent medical check-up.
“Hi everybody. I’m sad to announce that after talking to my doctors, and receiving the results of my last medical revision, I won’t be able to play at Wimbledon this year.
“As you can all imagine, it’s a very tough decision, but the injury I suffered at Roland Garros needs time to heal.
“Unfortunately, I won’t be able to join in the pre-tournament event #TheBoodles at #Stokepark that I attended in previous years.
“Thank you all for your support, especially my fans. Your kind messages mean so much to me.”
With the following, Rafael Nadal announced his withdrawal from the Wimbledon championship coming up later in June.
Rafa Nadal announced he would not be taking part at Wimbledon this year after the results of a recent medical exam confirmed his wrist injury suffered at Roland Garros needs time to heal.
Nadal celebrated his first Wimbledon title in 2008, after beating Roger Federer in the longest final in tournament history.
Many consider it to be the greatest match of all time. Federer has two Wimbledon titles to his name, while reaching five finals so far.
Nadal’s win at the ATP Mercedes Cup tennis tournament in Stuttgart, Germany, on June 14, 2015 represented his first win on a grass court tournament since his Wimbledon victory in 2010.
He pulled out of the French Open and now Rafael Nadal will be missing from Wimbledon.
The 30-year-old Spaniard is still struggling with the wrist injury that forced him to withdraw in Paris.
The 14-time grand slam champion said it was “sad” but doctors advised him to rest.
The news came as a surprise after the record nine-time Roland Garros champion had only dropped just nine games through the opening two rounds.
The world No. 4 had been enjoying a renaissance, winning clay-court titles in Monte Carlo and Barcelona in April.
Close to tears, he told reporters in Paris the injury surfaced at the Madrid Masters in May, but escalated at Roland Garros and he needed an injection ahead of the match against Bagnis.
“Every day was a little bit worse,” Nadal said in the French capital, calling it one of the toughest press conferences of his career.
Nadal won Olympic gold at Beijing in 2008 and is due to be Spain’s flag bearer at the Games in Rio in August.
But after missing out on London 2012 with a knee injury his participation in the 2016 event looks to be in doubt.
Nadal’s career has been plagued by injuries, most notably to his knees, but he also missed the 2014 U.S. Open with a right wrist problem.
© Copyright 2015 www.elombah.com. Send eyewitness accounts/reports/articles to firstname.lastname@example.org; follow us on twitter handle @Elombah; like our Facebook page: “Elombah.com”