See Peter Obi’s Intimidating Curriculum Vitae [CV]
See Peter Obi’s intimidating Curriculum Vitae [CV] as he is considered for Alhaji Atiku Abubakar’s Vice Presidential running mate.
NAME : Mr. Peter Gregory OBI, (CON)
22 Niger Drive, GRA, Onitsha, Anambra State, Nigeria
DATE OF BIRTH : 19th July 1961,
PLACE OF BIRTH: Onitsha, Nigeria
MARITAL STATUS: Married with two children
EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS ATTENDED
- Christ the King College, Onitsha (W.A.S.C.)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (B.A. Philosophy)
- Lagos Business School, Nigeria (Chief Executive Program)
- Harvard Business School, Boston, U.S.A. (Mid to Mid Marketing)
- Harvard Business School, Boston, U.S.A. (Changing the Game)
- London School of Economics (Financial Mgmt/Business Policy)
- Columbia Business School, New York, U.S.A. (Marketing Mgmt )
- Institute for Management Development, Switzerland (Senior Executive Program)
- Institute for Management Development, Switzerland (Break-Through Program for CEOs)
- Kellogg Graduate School of Management, U.S.A. (Advanced Executive Program)
- Kellogg School of Management U.S.A. (Global Advanced Mgmt Program)
- Oxford University: Said Business School, (Advanced Mgmt& Leadership Program)
- Cambridge University: George Business School (Advanced Leadership Program)
- Governor, Anambra State of Nigeria (2006-2014)
- Honorary Special Adviser to the President on Finance (till May, 2015)
- Member, Presidential Economic Management Team (till May, 2015)
- Vice-Chairman, Nigeria Governors’ Forum (2008-2014)
- Chairman, South-East Governors’ Forum (2006-2014)
- Former Chairman: Board of Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Former Chairman: Fidelity Bank Plc.
- Former Chairman: Guardian Express Mortgage Bank, Ltd.
- Former Chairman: Future Views Securities, Ltd.
- Former Chairman: Paymaster Nigeria Plc.
- Former Chairman: Next International (Nigeria) Ltd
- Former Director: Guardian Express Bank Plc.
- Former Director: Chams Nigeria Plc.
- Former Director: Emerging Capital Ltd
- Former Director: Card Centre Plc
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS/ORGANIZATIONS
- Member, Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG)
- Member, Nigerian Chartered Institute of Bankers
- Member, British Institute of Directors (IOD)
MEMBERSHIP OF FEDERAL GOVERNMENT COMMITTEES
In my capacity as the Governor of Anambra State, I served as a member of:
*Federal Government Committee on Minimum Wage
*Federal Government Committee on Negotiation with Labour on Subsidy
*Federal Government Committee on Mass Transit
*Federal Government Committee on Natural Resource
*National Economic Council Committee on Power Sector Reform
*National Economic Council Committee on Sharing of MDGs Funds
*National Economic Council Committee on Accurate Data on Nigeria’s Oil Import and Export
*Agricultural Transformation Implementation Council
*Sub-Committee on Needs Analysis of Public Universities in Nigeria
*National Economic Council Review Committee on the Power Sector
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
2015: Golden Jubilee Award from Catholic Diocese of Onitsha for outstanding contribution to quality healthcare delivery in St. Charles Borromeo Hospital in particular and Anambra State in general, on the occasion of the Golden Jubilee celebration of the hospital.
*2014: Nigerian Library Association Golden Merit Award for remarkable improvement of libraries in Anambra State, exemplified by our Government’s construction of the Kenneth Dike Digital State Library, remarkable upgrade of the Onitsha Divisional Library, and provision of library facilities in secondary schools across the State.
*2014: Champion Newspaper Most Outstanding Igbo Man of the Decade.
* 2014 The Voice Newspaper (Holand) Achievers Award for Outstanding Example in Leadership and Governance.
*2013: Silver Bird Man of the Year (with Governor BabatundeFashola of Lagos State).
*2012: Business Hallmark Newspaper Man of the Year.
*2012: The Golden Award on Prudence – by the Methodist Church of Nigeria as the Most Financially Prudent Governor in Nigeria.
* 2012: Leadership and Good Governance Award by The Ezeife Leadership Foundation Award for restoring peace and harmony to Anambra State.
* 2012: Best Performing Governor on Immunization in South-East Nigeria – by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
* 2012: Outstanding Financial Planner and Manager – by the Church of Nigeria, Anglican Communion for my resourcefulness and creativity in governance.
*2011: Zik Leadership Prize.
*2010: ICT Governor of the Year – by the West Africa ICT Development Award.
*2009: Champion Newspaper Nigeria’s Most Trustworthy Governor Award.
*2009: Thisday Newspaper Most Prudent Governor in Nigeria.
*2007: The Sun Newspaper Man of the Year Award.
*The Nigerian MDGs Office/UNDP Best Governor in the Implementation of the MDGs in Nigeria
INTRODUCTION OF CONSTITUTIONAL AND OTHER MAJOR CHANGES IN NIGERIAN POLITICS
*He was the first gubernatorial candidate in Nigeria to legally challenge to its logical conclusion, his governorship electoral victory that was denied him. He won in the Courts and reclaimed his mandate.
*He was the first Governor in Nigeria to legally challenge his wrongful impeachment and was reinstated by the Courts.
*He was the first Governor in Nigeria to seek the interpretation of tenures of Governors when INEC allowed elections to take place in Anambra State when his tenure had not expired; the election already concluded was cancelled and he was allowed to complete his tenure.
*He was the first Governor to serve a 2nd term in both the new and old Anambra State, that is, almost 40 years after creation of the State.
*He was the first Governor, whilst still in Office, to be appointed a Special Adviser to the President.
*He was the first serving Governor to be appointed into the Presidential Economic Management Team.
*He was among the first Governors to be honoured with a National Award in 2011, while still in office.
*Though the only Governor whose political party was in government in only one State, he was elected Vice-Chairman of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum twice.
*Though the only non-PDP Governor in the South-East (made up of 5 States), he was elected by the other 4 PDP Governors as their Chairman for 8 years rather than the usual one year.
FUNDAMENTAL ACHIEVEMENTS AS GOVERNOR OF ANAMBRA STATE (PARTIAL LISTING)
- Anambra was the first State to commence Sub-Sovereign Wealth savings, the first of its kind in Sub-Saharan Africa. At a time many other Governors were leaving huge debts, I left the equivalent of $500 million Dollars in investment as well as local and foreign currency, including $156 million in Dollar-denominated bonds.
- For the first time in the history of Anambra State, Ambassadors and High Commissioners of notable countries such as United Stated, Britain, Russia, European Union, South Africa, Belgium, Israel, the Netherlands, Canada, among others, visited the State. Before my tenure, Anambra was practically a pariah state blacklisted by the Diplomatic Corps and international development partners.
- Development partners such as UNDP, UNICEF, the World Bank, DFID, the European Union etc., which hitherto were not in Anambra State started working with the State. Anambra was consistently adjudged one of the best states in development partnership and commitment to reforms for good governance.
- He was recognised as Best Governor by the Millennium Development Goals Office (OSSAP-MDGs) and the UNDP in the implementation of their programmes in Nigeria.
- The Nigerian Debt Management Office (DMO) rated Anambra as the least indebted state in Nigeria. In spite of visible and measurable achievements recorded in various sectors, the State under him did not borrow or raise bonds for her various projects.
- The Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria rated Anambra State as the most financially stable state in the country.
- The State’s ground-breaking return of schools to their original owners – Voluntary Agencies (Churches) on 1st January 2009, and subsequent partnership with the Agencies in Education, saw the State move from 24th position out of 36 States to Number One in National Examination Council (NECO) and West African Examination Council (WAEC) examinations for three consecutive years. This made the World Bank to commission a study, led by the renowned Prof. Paul Collier of Oxford University, on this revolutionary partnership and phenomenal achievement.
- The State also entered into strategic partnership with the Churches in the Health sector. This symbiotic relationship resulted in a tremendous boost to health care because of the services offered by health institutions owned by Voluntary Agencies, while the State restored grants to the agencies and made available to them more than 50 million Dollars in various types of support.
- Through partnership with the Church in the Health sector, his Government funded the transformation of -:
a: Iyienu Hospital, Ogidi;
b: Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Ihiala;
c: St Charles Borromeo Hospital, Onitsha;
d: Holy Rosary Hospital, Waterside, Onitsha; and
e: St. Joseph Hospital, Adazi-Nnukwu.
His Government also built the Joseph Nwilo Heart Centre in St. Joseph, Adazi-Nnukwu, where heart operations are now being performed.
- His Government won the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (1 Million dollars) as the best-performing state in immunisation in the South-East. With complementary funding from our Government, they used the money to build 10 Maternal and Child Care Centres across the State, particularly in rural communities, in partnership with the Churches.
- The State was the first to procure and distribute more than 30,000 computers to secondary schools, including 22,500 from HP. The Managing Director for Personal Systems Group HP Inc, Mr. Fabrice Campoy described the deployment as the biggest of such projects in the Middle-East and Africa.
- Anambra State Government provided Microsoft Academies to more than 500 secondary schools, which the Head of Microsoft in Nigeria (Mr. Ken Span) described as the biggest such deployment in Africa so far.
- The State provided Internet access to more than 500 secondary schools, which the CEO of Galaxy Backbone (Mr. Gerald Ilukwe) characterized as incomparable to any in the country.
- More than 700 buses were provided to secondary schools in the State by our Government.
- Boreholes were provided in schools all over the State.
- Numerous classrooms were built in all the 177 communities of the State.
- As part of the efforts to turn around the economy of the State, a number of companies were attracted to build their facilities in the Anambra State. A case in point is SABMiller, the 2nd largest brewery in the world, which built their first Green Field facility in the State, which is today one of the most successful facilities they operate globally.
- A number of other companies followed the SABMiller initiative and were all supported and encouraged under our Government; a good example is INNOSON Motor Manufacturing Company, from which our government bought more than 1,000 vehicles.
- Anambra State for the first time started close collaboration with recognized government security agencies (the Police, Army, Navy, Department of State Security, Civil Defence, among others), offering them various types of support including provision of more than 500 security vehicles. The improvement in security was phenomenal, such that the former IG of Police (Abubakar Mohammed) lauded Anambra State for not witnessing any bank robbery in my last three years in office.
- To further enhance security, Anambra State provided at least one security vehicle to each of all the 177 communities in the State as well as various organizations such as markets and Churches.
- His Administration conceived and built, from scratch, the first state-owned Teaching Hospital, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu teaching Hospital, Awka.
- His Government commenced the planned development of the Igbariam Campus of the ChukwuemekaOdumegwu-Ojukwu University, including the fencing, construction of internal roads, electrification, construction of the Faculty of Law, Auditorium, Administrative Block, Faculty of Agriculture, Management Building, among others).
- His Government attracted the World Bank support on erosion – National Erosion and Watershed Management Project (NEWMAP) – to Anambra State.
- His Government was the first to do Poverty Mapping in Nigeria, as a guide for the effective implementation of our poverty-alleviation strategies.
- His Government, for the first time, undertook the aerial mapping of Awka as well as the production of Structure Plans for Awka Capital Territory, Onitsha and Nnewi.
- During his tenure and with his Government’s support, Anambra State became an oil producing State.
- He built the first Secretariat Complex to house State Government Ministries that were hitherto scattered around the State.
- His government commenced the development of the ‘Three Arms Zone’ comprising Government House/Governor’s Lodge, Legislative Building/Speakers Residence, and Judiciary Building with Chief Judge’s Residence.
- By the end of his tenure in 2014, more than twelve (12) health institutions, including two hospitals, had secured accreditation; when we took off in 2006, no health institution in Anambra State was duly accredited.
- Anambra State was the first to undergo national peer review, which scrutinised State Governments for good governance, through the State Peer Review Mechanism (SPRM), an initiative of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum in collaboration with the DFID.
READ SOME COMMENTS BY PEOPLE ON GOV. OBI
- Anambra is among the least indebted States in Nigeria. – Debt Management Office
- European Union has always emphasised on proper management of money, that’s why it’s important to have people of high integrity like Peter Obi. The European Union ambassador to Nigeria, David Macrae
- Governor Obi’s commendable performance in office led us to classify his government as reformist The Head of Affairs and Country Representative of DFID, Dr. Richard Montgomery
- Gov. Obi is an exceptional leader and very prudent in financial management and I believe his interest is to better the lots of his people which to my mind is very remarkable. Mr. Onno Ruhl, the World Bank Country Director
- Gov Obi was the first Governor to visit my office to discuss how to fight poverty in his State and remained determined and dogged by the initiating effective economic empowerment programmes. National Co-ordinator of NAPEP, Dr. Magnus Kpakol
- Governor Obi was the first Governor on assumption of office to approach the Bank of Industry for collaboration to create job opportunities for the people of the state. He understands the dynamics of the economy. The managing Director and Chief Executive of the Bank of Industry, Evelyn Oputa
- Obi, the Governor of Anambra State, has established a reputation for transparency and budget discipline, a development that is believed to have saved the State treasury substantial amounts of money in the awards and execution of contracts. Obi is known for his tight scrutiny of contracts being awarded by his government. – Thisday Newspaper
- Governor Peter Obi has created the enabling environment to fast track industrial growth and development, including attracting companies such as SABmiller to Anambra State. Through steady positive transformation, the Governor restored peace and stability to the State, thus encouraging the people of the State to live dignified life. The Chairman, State Traditional Rulers Council and traditional ruler of Onitsha, HRM, Obi Alfred Achebe
- I am delighted to learn that Anambra is among UNICEF’S strongest partners in Nigeria. I commend Governor Obi for his commitment to children, prompt payment of counterpart funding, involvement in the development of education, scaling up of skill acquisition centres and giant strides in the inclusiveness of communities in governance as well as his efforts towards achieving the Millennium Development Goals and leadership in Water and Sanitation Reform Programme. UNICEF Chief of Office, Enugu, Mr. Charles Nzuki
- Peter Obi is a special gift from God and should be celebrated for his passion for the people of the state, his commitment to good governance, provision of basic things of life such as good roads, water, and health and education facilities among others. Rev Peter Jasper Akinola
- Gov. Peter Obi is the practical hope the people of Anambra has experienced and believe in. He represents goodness. My last wish from the people of Anambra State is to vote him in for a second tenure. Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu
- I thank His Excellency Governor Peter obi for the enviable feats he has recorded through ANIDS, through which he is rapidly transforming all parts of the State and is entrenching decency and transparency in governance. Chief Emeka Anyaoku
- In the near future, people will realise that the Peter obi administration is the best thing that has happened to the State. Dr. Onyechi Ikpeazu (SAN)
- With Governor Obi, we are beginning to realise again that we must take our destiny in our hands. As a businessman who has nurtured business from a small level, he is running the government as it should be run, putting the necessary structures in place. Chief Cosmas Maduka, Industrialists
- Governor obi is a thinker who deploys ideas trying to change the value frame of his people so that they can achieve longer sustainable values. Prof. Pat Utomi
- I have not met five men in my life of 60 years who are as decent and urbane as Governor Obi. Prof. Ilochi Okafor, former VC, UNIZIK
- The Governor is working very hard with people/organisations of goodwill to engineer the evolution of development in the State. Dr. Oby Ezekwesili, Wrold Bank
- Under Governor Obi, there is now a better articulation of projects, programmes and policies. Things are now done methodically. Dr. Chukwuemeka Ezeife, former Governor of Anambra State.
- Obi is a man of vision, mission, focus, compassion, piety and integrity. Rev. Fr. Ejike Mbaka
- The name of Mr. Peter Obi will be on record as the first governor of Anambra State to approach the Nigerian Stock Exchange seeking solution for economic emancipation of Anambra State. Dr. (Mrs) Ndi-Okereke Onyiuke
- Anambra West was formerly not part of the State until Obi came. He is the only Governor that has not played politics with the needs of my people. It is only him that we know. Hon. Mike Offor
- Mr. Peter obi is a visionary leader. His sustained commitment to the socio-economic transformation of the state remains a source of hope and strength to all of us. His energy and wisdom, his tolerance and accommodation and his people-centred developmental programmes are being appreciated even beyond the borders of Anambra State. Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar 11, the Sultan of Sokoto
- Obi has wiped away the tears of our people, when they had to bear the burden of incompetent and greedy rulers. He has inspired the youth unto righteousness. His sense of uprightness has reached far and wide. He has become a symbol of reference. Archbishop Jude Okolo, Apostolic Nuncio to Central African Republic and the Republic of Chad.
- God has raised Obi as a prophet and rock in Nigeria to show the way of the lord in many aspects of the society. He has made his mark in entrepreneurship and rose as a respected and renowned Captain in the business world. He is simple, humble, contented and wise and has brought these sterling qualities to the governance of Anambra State. Bishop Hilary Odili Okeke