Proceedings Of The Nigerian Senate Of Thursday, 5th October, 2017
Welcome to a new Legislative Day in the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Senate President Bukola Saraki took the official Prayer and led the Chambers into today’s proceedings at 10.46am.
Senator Oluremi Tinubu moved for the approval of votes and proceedings of Tuesday, 3rd October, 2017. Senator Fatima Raji-Rasaki seconded.
Senate President Bukola Saraki welcomed people who were present in the gallery to observe Plenary.
Senator Tayo Alasoadura raised a petition from a member of his constituency Corporal Adebayogun against his commander for his unlawful dismissal from the Nigerian Army.
Senator Ali Wakili raised a petition from a member of his constituency Retired Colonel Suleiman on a compulsory retirement from the Nigerian Army who seeks to be reinstated.
Senate President Bukola Saraki referred all petition to the Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions to report back in 2weeks.
POINT OF ORDER
Senator Sabo Mohammed cited orders 42 and 52 and spoke on the demise of a former military Governor of Kaduna state Mukhtar Muhammed.
Senate resolved to:
1. Urge the Federal Government to name the Federal University Dutse after him and
2. Observe a minute silence and send a delegation to commiserate with the family.
Senator Chukwuka Utazi cited order 43 and says that teachers should be celebrated, he also says that teachers should be paid because their job is important.
Senate President Bukola Saraki said we need to improve the condition of our teachers so the quality of our education can also improve’.
Senator Dino Melaye cited order 42 and sought the approval of the Senate to investigate the Nigerian Broadcasting Cooperation who generated 1.270 billion on revenue in 2016 and squandered all without the authorization of the National Assembly
Virement of Funds by Senate Leader.
That the Senate considered the Request of Mr. President Commander-In-Chief for the Virement of Funds from various Budget Lines to Fund Federal Government’s Priority Projects and Programmes.
Senate President said we will continue to give support to the Federal Government, Appropriation Committee should work closely with other Committees involved.
Senate President Bukola Saraki referred the Executive Communication on Virement of Funds to the Committee on Appropriation to report back in 2weeks.
PRESENTATION AND CONSIDERATION OF REPORTS
1. Report of the Joint Committee on Appropriations and Finance, implementation of the 2017 Budget by Senators Goje M. Danjuma and John Enoh
That the Senate received and considered the report of the Joint Committee on Appropriations and Finance on the Implementation of the 2017 Budget.
Senator Joshua Lidani seconded that the Senate received and considered the report of the Joint Committee on Appropriations and Finance on Implementation of the 2017 Budget.
Senate resolved to:
1. Ensure the Executive has not embarked on selective implementation.
2. Ensure review in the budget year should not affect 60% of the budget.
3. Ensure that the 2018 Budget be passed in good time to allow for full implementation.
4. Make use of operating circulars in revenue generation in the concerned agencies.
5. Encourage the Executive to block all leakages of operational surpluses in all Ministries, Departments and Agencies.
Senate President Bukola Saraki says a quick turnaround from when we passed the resolution is commendable.
Senate President said we need to carry out a level of implementation in what we proposed’.
2. Report of the Senate Committee on the 2017 budget of corporations and agencies of Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria by Senate Leader.
Minority Leader seconded that the Senate do consider the report of the Senate Committees on the 2017 budget of corporations and agencies.
The report of the Senate Committee on Environment was approved.
3. Report of the Joint Committee on Judiciary, Human Rights and Legal Matters & Anti-Corruption and Financial Crimes on the Proceeds of Crimes Bill, 2017 (SB. 376) by Senator David Umaru
Senator Ben Bruce seconded that the Senate considered the report of the Joint Committee on Judiciary, Human Rights and Legal Matters & Anti-Corruption and Financial Crimes on the Proceeds of Crimes Bill, 2017
COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE
Senate dissolved into the committee of the whole for clause by clause consideration of the Proceeds of Crimes Bill, 2017 (SB. 376)
Senate reverted back to Plenary and reported progress.
Senate resolved that further clause to clause consideration of the Bill be moved to another Legislative day.
Senate Leader moved that all other items on the order paper be stood down to another Legislative day. Minority Leader Seconded
Plenary is adjourned to Tuesday, 10th October, 2017.
Would you like to be receiving ALL Elombah.com news links ‘On The Go’ on WhatsApp? If yes, please provide us your WhatsApp number via email@example.com or sms/inbox +2349050382526 and you are ready to go!
© Copyright 2017 www.elombah.com; unless otherwise indicated, all images are courtesy of Twitter; send eyewitness accounts/reports/articles to firstname.lastname@example.org; follow us on twitter @Elombah; like our Facebook page: Elombah.com; join us on WhatsApp HERE