Senator Peter Nwaoboshi: A Life Of Service To The People
By Benjamin Ugboho
As a journalist, I have been on the trail of the campaigns of the Ọchiaga Of Aniọma, Senator Peter Nwaoboshi, since he stepped out to represent his people of Anioma land in Delta North Senatorial District, in 2015.
His journey to the hallowed chamber of the National Assembly spans over 35 years of selfless services to humanity. It is a testament that he is not a newcomer in the business, as he was appointed the Political Aide to the then Governor of the defunct Bendel State in 1979.
He has also held the Chairmanship position of NRC in the Old Oshimili Local Government Area of the state between 1991-1993 and again appointed the Deputy Chairman of the defunct DPN between 1995-1997.
Senator Nwaoboshi ranks amongst the Founding Fathers of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Delta State Chapter with his role as the first State Secretary of the party in 1998 and his subsequent appointment as Political Adviser to Governor James Ibori.
As Commissioner for Agriculture, the State flourished in terms of foods and agro-allied products through his numerous people-oriented policies and programmes.
His IT savvy programmes propelled his appointment as Chairman, Raw Materials Research and Development Council, Abuja. It is on record that the best of years of the council were witnessed under his people-oriented administration, where he once again demonstrated his leadership dexterity.
And In furtherance to the high demands of his exceptional and exemplary style of leadership, Senator Nwaoboshi Peter Onyeluka in 2008 was elected the Chairman of Delta State Peoples Democratic Party and was voted unanimously again for a second term following the expiration of his first tenure.
The feat was only possible, though not surprising due to his exceptional style of leadership which centers on equity and fairness. And since then, the man, Nwaoboshi has remained in politics, traversing the political landscape with assured steps.
Senator Nwaoboshi’s savours his wide spectrum of experience in politics, his selling point is not his exquisite performance but in the cause of his service to humanity.
For Nwaoboshi, the reason why many fail in politics and governance is because they are not there to serve. His belief is that politics should be left for those who are servants of the people.
As a well-known name in Delta State politics and Nigeria in general, Nwaoboshi is like a goldfish, who has no hiding place, his teeming admirers would not let him turn down their quest for his services in a second term bid at the senate, come 2019 to complete the giants’ strides he has begun in the space of three years.
While the Man, Nwaoboshi was still pondering on the 2019 race, his people swooped on him, insisting that he must continue. And in obedience, the Senator has since heed their call.
With his acceptance of the clarion call, Senator Nwaoboshi has been taking methodic and measured steps of someone who knows his onions. He has avoided elaborate displays but targets people that matter at this point and his message has been well received.
Among the motley crowd of aspirants, Nwaoboshi has a lot going for him. Apart from his much vaunted principle of the people first, he has a track record that cannot be overlooked. His numerous achievements includes:
- the enrolment of Anioma students in the NDDC International Scholarship Programme,
- the inclusion of Ndokwa Youths in the Presidential Amnesty Programme (PAP),
- a bill to establish a Federal owned Polytechnic in Kwale,
- a bill for the Amendment of NDDC Act 2000 (which has been passed into law/assented by Mr. President), about six other bills, he has sponsored/Over ten (10) motions moved.
- His #100 million Naira worth mega empowerment held at Asaba, around December, 2016,
- his over #5 million naira worth empowerment for the disabled, around September, 2017,
- his #39.2 million naira financial empowerment to about 784 persons across 98 INEC Wards in Delta North, on November 1st, 2017, aimed at boosting microcredit businesses,
- his Obi Francis Nwaoboshi Foundation (OFNF), for indigent students, being funded with over #60 million naira annually, totaled about #280 million naira worth of empowerments in about three (3) years of representations.
- Not forgetting also the housing apartment he built, furnished and donated to Charity.
Senator Nwaoboshi through his Senate led committee on NDDC/Niger Delta Affairs, has utilized the position in attracting road projects to Delta North, with over 16 roads completed.
Three (3) Federal skill acquisition centres built across the District with Some youths trained through the Federal Amnesty Programme.
He has since accepted the challenge and the message has been one of Service to the people.
Benjamin Ugboho, a Public relations and Media Consultant, writes from Abuja.