SHOCKER: Case Against Buhari Dumped At ICC Uncovered; Lawyer Asks ICC To Prosecute Him
By Barrister Emmanuel Ogebe
A human rights lawyer, Barrister Emmanuel Ogebe has uncovered a crimes against humanity complaint at the International Criminal Court [ICC] against General Muhammadu Buhari dating as far back as 7 years ago.
We have recently obtained a copy of a petition filed against General Buhari 7 years ago at the International Criminal Court.
The said petition was issued by 19 Organizations known as “Concerned Nigeria citizens from the Northern part of Nigeria”.
The group served as an advocate for justice of all those involved in the April 2011 post-presidential election violence and genocide in Northern Nigeria.
The election violence was allegedly orchestrated by the then presidential candidate of the defunct Congress for Progressive Change [CPC], General Buhari after he failed election to former president, Goodluck Jonathan.
Buhari and the age-old petition were mentioned in the memo we sent to ICC Chief Prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda by Barrister Ogebe.
The petition raised concerns over General Buhari’s red carpet reception at The Hague when he is a subject of a petition alleging serious crimes.
The human rights lawyer wondered why no action has been taken against Buhari by the international legal body for the 7 long years the case was lying dormant in their safe.
He, therefore, wished to know what was the outcome of the preliminary examination of those credible and troubling allegations.
He said that while Gen. Buhari’s role in the Biafra genocide does not fall within the purview of the ICC, his role in the 2012 post-election violence and the continuing onslaught of the Fulani killer herdsmen amongst others are fully within the scope for investigation.
He stated: “This is all the more critical to stem impunity in cases of political violence as was recently displayed in last week’s Ekiti State elections.
“It remains unclear why Kenya’s sitting president was arraigned for election violence at the ICC while the same was not done in Nigeria.
“The Prosecutor should please clarify what would appear to be a clear double standard,” he concluded.
Attachments are copies of the Petition Against Buhari to ICC in 2011:
International Criminal Court of Justice (ICCJ)
PETITION;A CASE OF GENOCIDE, GROSS ABUSE OF HUMAN RIGHTS AND WANTON DESTRUCTION OF LIVES AND PROPERTY IN SOME STATES IN THE NORTHERN PART OF NIGERIA AGAINST GENERAL MOHAMMADU BUHARI AND ENGR. BUBA GALADIMA – A PASSIONATE PLEA FOR YOUR URGENT INTERVENTION
We write to formally draw your attention to the genocide, gross abuse of human rights and wanton destruction of live and property in some states in the northern part of Nigeria, following the declaration of Dr. Goodluck Jonathan of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) as the winner of the April 16th, 2011 Presidential Election in Nigeria.
This post-election violence in which many lives of innocent Nigerian citizens were lost in Bauchi State, Kaduna state, Gombe State, Adamawa State, Kano State, Katsina State and Borno State was instigated by
(1) General Mohammadu Buhari the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) April, 2011 Presidential Candidate.
(2) Engineer Buba Galadima the National Secretary of the Congress for progressive Change (CPC).
(3) The Associates and supporters of General Muhammadu Buhari Presidential Ambition.
Sad enough in this unwarranted killing and destruction of lives was the cruel massacre of Nine (9) young graduate male and female Nigerians, who were serving their fathers land under the compulsory National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) scheme but engaged by INEC as Ad-hoc staff for the smooth conduct of a credible, free & Fair April, 2011 General Election. It is worthy to mention that:
– These two political stalwarts of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) i.e. General Muhammadu Buhari and Enginner Buba Galadima.
– Masterminded the attack on the convoy of Dr. Goodluck Ebele Joathan in Nassarawa state.
– The killing of Eight (8) Family members of the PDP Chairman in Gombe State.
– The burning of places of worship in Katsina state on Sunday 17th April, 2011 while that of Kaduna, Adamawa, Borno, Kano and Bauchi State e.t.c on Monday 18 April, 2011.
– The gruesome killing and murder of the nine (9) members of the NYSC in Bauchi State.
The pictorial evidence and video clips of these destructions are also available and enclosed herewith.
It’s important to mention that the provocative statement made by General Muhammadu Buhari on the television, the morning of the Presidential Election 16/4/2011 on British Broadcast Corporation BBC Hausa service and in the Voice of America VOA Hausa service that Aircrafts conveyed Election Ballot papers meant for rigging to the various state Government House Mentioning, Katsina state his home state which led to the first attack in katsina state on Sunday morning of 17th April, 2011 that led to the destruction of 27 vehicles within the respective church premises in Katsina state e.g. Redeemed Christian Church of God and Chapel of Grace located at Kofar Kaura.
Furthermore, Engr Buba Galadima through the same medium BBC& VOA Hausa services instructed their supporters to not only defend their votes but should also put their lives on line to terrorize, maim and kill if possible all those who are against Gen. Buhari’s doctrines and political ambition.
PRAYERS: WE HUMBLY PRAY AS FOLLOWS:
– That the International Criminal Court of Justice (ICCJ) should investigate, arrest and prosecute Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, Engr. Buba Galadima & their associates for these crimes against humanity and wanton destruction of lives and property.
– To compensate adequately all victims of the genocide
– To compel Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to deregister the terrorist organization/political party formed by Gen. Muhammadu Buhari called CPC
– To put in place mechanisms and adequate sanctions to forestall further and future occurrences of such mayhem.
NB: Cite relevant sections of:
– General Convention of the United Nations
– UN Charter on Human Rights
– African Charter on people & human rights
– Other relevant International laws ad treaties.
In the prologue/intro: This is similar to the post election violence in Kenya (The Rich valley) episode where innocent Kenyans were gruesomely massacred in what could be termed as man’s inhumanity to man.
Who we are; we are concerned Nigeria citizens from the Northern part of Nigeria, an advocate for justice of all those involved in the April 2011 post presidential election violence and genocide in Northern Nigeria.
The names of the 19 Organization are as follows:-
- Kano Muslim Forum (KMF)
- Rally for Northern Christians (RNC)
- Northern Ibo Union (NIU)
- Northern Yoruba Youths (NYY)
- Middle belt Progressive Union (MPU)
- Citizen League for Peace and Democracy (CLPD)
- Al-Sunnah Muslim Organization (AMO)
- Northern Youths Christian Forum (NYCF)
- Northern South-South Citizen Forum (NSSCF)
- Southern Kaduna Unity Group (SKUG)
- Borno State Consultative Forum (BSCF)
- Arewa Voters Assembly (AVA)
- The Savannah Group (SAG)
- Tiv Youth Organization (TYO)
- Zazzau Democratic Union (ZDU)
- Katsina Peace Initiative (KPI)
- Igala Association (Northern Wing) (IGA)
- Sokoto Youth Consultative Forum (SYCF)
- Niger Development Union (NDU)
Northern Coalition for Democracy and Justice (NCDJ)
United Nation High Commission on Human Right (UNCHR)
European Union (EU)
African Union (AU)
Embassy of the United States of America
Embassy of United Kingdom
May 20th 2011
International Criminal Court,
CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY – A PETITION BROUGHT PURSUANT TO ARTICLES 5 (1) (B), 7 & 15 OF THE ROME STATUTE OF THE INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT By NORTHERN COALITION FOR DEMOCRACY & JUSTICE
- GENERAL MUHAMMADU BUHARI
(Presidential Candidate, Congress for Progressive Change & one-time Military Head of State in Nigeria); and,
- Mr. BUBA GALADIMA
(National Secretary, Congress for Progressive Change; CPC)
- CONGRESS FOR PROGRESSIVE CHANGE (CPC)
We are a coalition of non-governmental organisations in Nigeria, located significantly in the northern geo-political hemisphere of the sovereign state of Nigeria, viz.
- Rally for Northern Christians (RNC);
- Northern Ibo Union (NIU);
iii. Northern Yoruba Youths (NYY);
- Middle Belt Progressive Union (MBPU);
- Citizens League for Peace & Democracy (CLPD);
- Northern Youths Christian Forum (NYCO);
vii. Northern South-South Citizen Forum (NSSCF);
viii. Southern Kaduna Unity Group (SKUG);
- Bornu State Consultative Forum (BSCF);
- Arewa Voters Assembly (AVA);
- The Savannah Group (SAG);
xii. Tiv Youth Organisation (TYO);
xiii. Zazzau Democratic Union (ZDU);
xiv. Katsina Peace Initiative (KPI);
- Igala Association (Northern wing) (IGA);
xvi. Sokoto Youth Consultative Forum (SYCF);
xvii. Niger Development Union (NDU)
1.1 Pursuant to Articles 5 (1), (b) & 7 of the Rome Statute of the
International Criminal Court; and pursuant to the well-documented lack of political will within the government of Nigeria, to bring influential persons to book this complaint is brought to the International Criminal Court against the following:
- General Muhammadu Buhari, lately presidential candidate (and alter ego) of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC); Military Head of State, Federal Republic of Nigeria (1984-1985); and three-time presidential candidate in Nigeria (2003, 2007 & 2011);
- Mr. Buba Galadima, an Engineer and National Secretary, Congress for Progressive Change (CPC);
iii. Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), a Nigerian political party;
- Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Nigeria is a Federal Republic and became a democracy for the fourth time in May 1999. Since then, elections have taken place every four (4) years. In April 2011, elections were to hold for an unprecedented fourth time in Nigeria. However, the aftermath of these fourth elections were characterised by crimes against humanity, instigated by the 1st – 3rd Respondents and winked at by the 4th Respondent.
2.1 CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY
These crimes include: i. Murder; Torture; Rape; and other inhuman acts of similar character such as burning persons alive, cutting people up with machetes and thereafter setting them on fire; gang-raping and chasing persons from their homes into the forests and bushes for days. These acts of wanton inhumanity were systematically and systemically directed at the following:
- Non-Muslims primarily;
- Liberal Muslims
iii. Perceived political non-supporters of the respondents to this petition;
- Young university graduates in the compulsory national youth service corps (NYSC) scheme; and
- Subject to i and ii above, southern Nigerian citizens primarily;
The locus situs for these crimes against humanity are the following states in northern Nigeria: Adamawa state; Bauchi state; Bornu state; Gombe state; Kaduna state; Kano state; Katsina state; and Niger State.
2.2. NAMES AND DESCRIPTIONS OF THE MURDERED ARE:
- YOUNG UNIVERSITY GRADUATES IN THE NATIONAL YOUTH SERVICE CORPS SCHEME
- *Ms. Agnes Anyanwu of Imo State origin, inspite of being pregnant, gang-raped till death at Gyade in Bauchi State;
- Michael Obinna Okpokiri (NYSC no: BA/10C/0950) of Abia State origin, killed at Gyade in Bauchi State;
iii. Elliot Adowei (NYSC no: BA/11A/0274) of Delta
State origin, killed at Gyade in Bauchi State;
- Paul Seun Adewunmi (NYSC no: BA/10B/1301) of Ekiti State origin, killed at Gyade in Bauchi State;
- Ikechukwu Chibuzor Ukeoma (NYSC no: BA/11A/1354) of Imo State origin, killed at Gyade in Bauchi State;
- Anslem Nkwazema (NYSC no: BA/10B/1160); of Imo State origin, killed at Gyade in Bauchi State;
vii. Olawale Tosin Teidi (NYSC no: BA/10C/1220) of Kogi State origin, killed at Gyade in Bauchi State;
viii. Sule Ibrahim Akonji (NYSC no: BA/11A/1009) of Kogi State origin, killed at Gyade in Bauchi State;
- Ayotunde Ebenezer Gbenjo (NYSC no: BA/10B/0463) of Osun State origin, killed at Gyade in Bauchi State;
- Jehleel Kehinde Adeniyi (NYSC no: BA/10B/0197) of Osun State origin, killed at Gyade in Bauchi State.
- WHY THE MEMBERS OF THE NATIONAL YOUTH SERVICE CORPS WERE TARGETTED:
The National Youth Service Corps was set up in Nigeria by Act No. 24 of 22nd May 1973 (as amended), shortly after the Nigerian civil war to foster national unity and a culture of service among Nigerian youth. Under it, all university graduates & graduates of other tertiary institutions are expected to perform a compulsory one-year national service, which service takes them to States far from their States of origin. Youth corpers (as they came to be known) are thus symbols of national unity in Nigeria.
In the light of the difficulties associated with organising free, fair and credible elections in Nigeria, it was thought that employment of youth corpers as returning officers would enhance the integrity of the process.
Because the 1st – 3rd respondents thought they had lost the elections, and because these returning officers (youth corpers) were from very far away, culturally and ethnically, they became scape goats for the 1st – 3rd respondents’ and their supporters.
One of the youth corpers, Mr. Ikechukwu Chibuzor Ukeoma (NYSC no: BA/11A/1354) of Imo State origin, killed at Gyade in Bauchi State, actually posted the following words on his Facebook page on the internet using a combination of good English, Nigerian English and shorthand, on Sunday April 17th 2011 at 6.48 pm:
“Na wao! This CPC supporters would hv killed me yesterday, no see threat oooo. Even after forcing underaged voters on me they wanted me to give them the remaining ballot paper to thumb print. Thank God for the police and am happy i could stand for God and my nation. To all corps members who stood despite these threats esp. In the north bravo! Nigeria! Our change has come.” – http://www.facebook.com/people/Ukeoma-Aikfavour/655614177
Facebook Update on Sunday at 06:48 PM via Mobile Web
“The CPC (3rd respondent) supporters would have killed me yesterday. I have not seen such threats. Even after forcing underaged voters on me they wanted me to give them the remaining ballot paper to thumb print. Thank God for the police and am happy I could stand for God and my nation. To all corps members who stood despite these threats especially in the north, bravo! Nigeria! Our change has come.”
A few hours later, Ikechukwu Chibuzor Ukeoma was killed – burnt to death!
- OTHER ACTS OF ETHNIC, POLITICAL & RELIGION MOTIVATED CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY
- 50 members of the National Youth Service Corps locked up at the secretariat of the Nigerian Christian Corpers Fellowship at Minna, Niger State and the building set on fire. They escaped! Indeed, members of the youth service corps were especially targeted in all the states mentioned;
- 27 vehicles destroyed within the premises of two churches: Chapel of Grace and Redeemed Christian Church of God in Kofar Kawa, Katsina State, a few hours after the 1st respondent made provocative statements on television and radio.
- OTHER ACTS OF POLITICALLY MOTIVATED CRIMES INSTIGATED BY THE RESPONDENTS
- Wilful killing of eight (8) family members of the Chairman of the Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) in Gombe State;
- Massive destruction of Houses and Places of Worship in Adamawa, Bauchi, Bornu, Kaduna, Kano & Katsina States;
iii. Burning of Mr. Namadi Sambo’s private house in Zaria, Kaduna State. Mr. Namadi Sambo is the Vice-President of Nigeria;
- Burning of vehicles within the palace of the Emir of Kano in Kano State;
- Attack on the palace of the Emir of Zaria in Kaduna State.
3.0 THE EVIDENCE
- Instigating statements made by the 1st Respondent hereof on local television, on the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) (Hausa service) and the Voice of America (VOA) (Hausa Service) on the 16th day of April 2011 insinuating that he had evidence that aircraft had been conveying ballot papers meant for rigging the elections to various predetermined locations, with specific reference to his home State, Katsina, leading to the first attacks on Churches and property in Katsina State on Sunday morning, 17th April 2011. (See 2.2 (b) 2 above);
- Inciting statements made by the 1st respondent to campaign rallies in the course of political campaigns, urging his supporters to “lynch and roast alive” anyone perceived to have rigged the elections;
iii. Furthermore, the 2nd respondent herein through the same media (BBC and VOA) instructed their supporters to, in the course of defending their votes, “…terrorise, maim and if possible kill”, all who are against the political doctrines and ambitions of the 1st and 3rd respondents;
4.0 OUR HUMBLE PRAYERS
Pursuant to Article 15 and upon the foregoing, wherein the Prosecutor of the Court, may on his/her own motion, based on information given to him/her on crimes within the jurisdiction of the Court by individuals, states and organisations, initiate investigations, we humbly pray as follows:
- That the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) investigate, arrest and prosecute the 1st – 3rd Respondents and their acolytes for the afore-described crimes against humanity;
- That the government of Nigeria, the 4th respondent be compelled to compensate victims of these Crimes Against Humanity.
It is crucial to point out that in Nigeria yearly, there are mass murders on religious and ethnic grounds with nobody ever prosecuted. And what few prosecutions there are, are diversionary, perhaps, to reduce tension, as they are seldom, if ever, prosecuted to conviction. Thus, a culture of impunity has crystallised. It is already clear that the issues complained of in this complaint will go the same way: no or diversionary prosecution if the Prosecutor does not intervene in the manner requested. Indeed, genocide on grounds of religion especially and ethnicity knocks nearly at the door and will be nipped in the bud if the Prosecutor graciously considers this humble petition.
The gruesome murder of innocent Nigerians and wanton destruction of properties are contrary to the principles of the right to life and liberty as well as all known international protocols such as the Statute of Rome, General Convention of the United Nations, United Nations Charter on Human Rights, African Charter on People and Human Rights & other relevant international laws and treaties to which Nigeria, the 4th respondent is a signatory. It is noteworthy that over 800 (Eight hundred) people died in the post-election violence already referred to as revealed by the Human Rights Watch, an international Human Rights non-governmental organisation.
On behalf of the aforementioned groups by my hand
This 20th day of May 2011
Northern Coalition for Democracy & Justice (NCDJ)
PS: You can also contact us through our Solicitor;
Akaraiwe & associates (Lex Rehoboth Partners), 8, River Lane, GRA, (opposite Diamond Plaza Hotel) Enugu; Box 9552, Enugu 400009, Nigeria.
“God give us men. The time demands; Strong minds, great hearts; True faith & willing hands; Men whom the lust of office does not kill; Men whom the spoils of office cannot buy; Men who possess opinions & a will; Men who have honour; Men who will not lie; Men who can stand before a demagogue & damn his treacherous flatteries without winking; Tall men, sun-crowned, who live above the fog in public duty & in private thinking!” – JG Holland