The suspects who masterminded the recent attack on a military base in Nembe, Bayelsa State have allegedly confessed their links with former governor, Timipre Sylva.
[Sylva was the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the last governorship election.]
The suspects reportedly made the confession during interrogation following their arrest.
On Monday August 8, suspected militants attacked the Joint Task Force, Operation Delta Safe, in Nembe, Bayelsa State and killed three soldiers.
Already, two of the suspects were also reported to have been killed during the arrest.
Their arrest was carried out by the waterways security outfit set up by the Bayelsa State Government.
It was led by ex-militant leader, Africanus Ukparasia.
According to an impeccable source close to the security outfit, the suspects were arrested at Olugbobiri community in Southern Ijaw Local Government Area of the state on a tipoff.
The source, who pleaded anonymity, confided that the suspects, on interrogation, confessed to the crime and their links with the former governor, Timipre Sylva.
They were also said to be the same group of suspects who carried out the killing of four soldiers and a policeman on Nembe waterways last year.
Sources stated that the suspected killers were recruited and assigned “political roles” similar to the crime and general lawlessness.
Their assignment came during the last election in which they caused mayhem in Southern Ijaw LGA of the state.
The source claimed that the plot was hatched by the All Progressives Congress (APC) leadership in the state.
The aim was to make the state ungovernable and pave way for the imposition of a state of emergency in the state.
This, it was gathered, was a scheme to win the state at all cost by the opposition party in the state during the last election.
“The attack last year just before the election was among the plans hatched by the opposition to create tension and a sense of insecurity in the state.
“[This is] in order to force the hand of President Muhammadu Buhari to declare a state of emergency and possibly take over the state”, the source declared.
The source, who called for a thorough investigation of the claim, said it will be against the course of justice if those who perpetrate crime in the state do not get investigated and punished.
This, according to him, has the tendency to encourage further crime to the detriment of society.
“It is a shame that those linked to be behind the suspected killers are still going about scot free.
“Up till now, there is no invitation, no interrogation, no arraignment.
“Instead, what we see is Police and DSS protection of those who are linked to the crime.
“It is clear that the sponsors of those criminal gangs and killer squads are above the law.
“They go about stealing and carrying lethal weapons yet they are being shielded from prosecution simply because they have pledged the so-called allegiance to the party at the centre”, the source claimed.
© Copyright 2016 www.elombah.com. Send eyewitness accounts/reports/articles to email@example.com; follow us on twitter handle @Elombah; like our Facebook page: “Elombah.com”.