Text of Buhari’s address to Nigeria employers association today
REMARKS BY HIS EXCELLENCY MUHAMMADU BUHARI PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA DURING AN AUDIENCE WITH NIGERIA EMPLOYERS’ CONSULTATIVE ASSOCIATION (NECA) WEDNESDAY 17TH JULY 2019
I welcome and thank you for this courtesy visit to State House. I appreciate the Nigeria Employers’ Consultative Association for its contributions to Nigeria since inception in 1957.
2. Nigeria’s Private Sector remains the main platform for inclusive growth. Over the past four years, this administration focused on creating an enabling environment for Nigerian businesses to flourish and grow.
3. Like you rightly pointed out in your remarks, we invested a lot of time and effort through the Presidential Enabling Business Environment Council to improve Nigeria’s Ease of Doing Business.
4. We also implemented various policies and programs to support job creation in Agriculture, Mining and other key sectors. We also invested in infrastructure projects especially, Transportation and Power sectors.
5. Nigeria is a blessed country with abundant resources. We have all it takes locally to meet our most basic needs. Our history of unnecessary importation of the most basic items meant we were exporting jobs to other countries at the expense of our own citizens.
6. This Administration is determined and taking steps to bring these jobs back to Nigeria. Our policies are simply designed for that.
7. There is no doubt, the implementation of such policies will not be hitch free. As you have pointed out, there are challenges in some areas that need to be addressed. I want to assure you that we are looking into these and other matters to ensure we have a sustainable platform for businesses to succeed.
8. This journey is a long one that requires patience, understanding and perseverance. I would therefore encourage you to continue to engage Government by providing honest and constructive feedback. Together, we can build a Nigeria that we will all be proud of.
9. On our part as an administration, I assure you that we will continue to do our best to support you in your efforts as Employers of labour and vital institutions in our country.
I thank you once again and God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.