The departure of Nigeria’s president for more medical checkups in London is renewing fears for his health in Africa’s most populous country.
President Muhammadu Buhari has missed three straight weekly Cabinet meetings in a row and is said to spend most of his time working from home.
His office on Sunday night said 74-year-old leader had delayed leaving for London so he could meet with the 82 Chibok schoolgirls released this weekend from Boko Haram captivity.
After a six-week medical leave in London earlier this year, Buhari indicated that further checkups might be needed. The exact nature of his illness is still unclear.
Today’s update on the release of Chibok schoolgirls kidnapped three years ago by Boko Haram extremists in Nigeria (all times local):
The office of Nigeria’s president says Muhammadu Buhari is now leaving for London for a medical checkup as fears continue over the state of his health.
The announcement Sunday night came shortly after Buhari said he had met with the 82 Chibok schoolgirls freed after being kidnapped three years ago by Boko Haram extremists.
The 74-year-old president spent a month and a half in London on medical leave earlier this year and returned saying he had never been so sick in his life. The exact nature of his illness is still not clear.
The statement says “there is no cause for worry” and says the length of Buhari’s stay in London will be determined by his doctors. The vice president will be in charge.
A presidential adviser says Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari is promising to do all that is needed to reintegrate the 82 freed Chibok schoolgirls back into society.
Femi Adesina told reporters Sunday night that Buhari promised the girls he personally would supervise their rehabilitation. He met with the girls at his official residence.
Adesina says the freed girls have been handed over to those who will look out for their rehabilitation. He says the president promised they will continue with their education.
The girls were part of a mass abduction by Boko Haram extremists three years ago.
Nigeria’s president says he has met with the 82 Chibok schoolgirls freed after being kidnapped by Boko Haram extremists three years ago.
President Muhammadu Buhari says on Twitter that “we’ve always made it clear that we will do everything in our power to ensure the freedom & safe return of our daughters & of all BH captives.”