UK gets a new Prime Minister
The UK finds out who will lead its government… Voting has closed, Theresa May will step down, and Boris Johnson or Jeremy Hunt will be named the new head of the Conservative party.
That winner—likely to be Johnson—becomes Britain’s prime minister, and will start work in Downing Street tomorrow.
- The result of the Tory leadership contest is expected at around 12:00 BST
- This will be followed by a speech from the new leader – either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Hunt
- Tuesday is Theresa May’s last full day in office and her successor will take over as PM on Wednesday
- Chancellor Philip Hammond and Justice Secretary David Gauke say they will resign if Mr Johnson becomes PM
- Sir Alan Duncan quit as a Foreign Office minister on Monday in protest at a possible Boris Johnson victory