Video shows kidnapped aid workers in Nigeria plead for their lives
An international charity says six of its aid workers who were kidnapped in Nigeria last week have appeared in a video.
Action Against Hunger says the six – comprised of one staff member, plus drivers and health workers employed locally – are “apparently in a good condition of health”.
It is urging captors to release them.
In a video message believed to be released by Boko Haram late Wednesday, hostages were seen pleading authorities to help in their release.
The video shows one of the aid workers wearing a blue hijab.
Surrounded by five men believed to be her colleagues, the woman says her name is Grace, and calls on the Nigerian government and international community to intervene.
No group has claimed responsibility for the abduction but it is suspected to be the work of Islamist insurgents.
There are two main groups active in north-eastern Nigeria where the abduction happened – Boko Haram and the rival Islamic State of West Africa Province (Iswap) group.
Earlier this week, Action Against Hunger released a statement saying a convoy of its vehicles on the road to Damasak, in Borno State, had been attacked. It said one of the drivers was killed, and the rest of the team were missing.
“These are humanitarian workers who chose to devote their lives to helping the most vulnerable,” the Paris-based charity says in its latest statement released on Thursday.
The video showed them telling the Nigerian government to “act before, it is too late.” It also showed a lady squatted in front of five men in a tent.
ElombahNews could not independently verify veracity of the video and the location, where it was recorded.
“Six of us were caught by the armies of Khalifa (Boko Haram group) on our way from Damasak in Borno State on Thursday July 18” the lady who identified herself as Grace said in the video.
“We count on our nation Nigeria. We are Nigerians working for Nigeria and its people. We work with a humanitarian organization, the Action Aid Against Hunger. Please do something to see that we are released,” she said.
She appealed to government as well as people of Nigeria to intervene, so that they do not meet the fate of other aid workers, who were kidnapped and later killed by Boko Haram.
She was perhaps referring to the kidnaping of three aid workers in March 2018. One of them, Hauwa Mohammed Liman working with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) was later killed in August, by the terror group.